The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2022, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but I had a chance to try a CA cargo at the local guitar center and I thought it was quite good for the size.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
so true, only problem is the OM don't sound like that WS !
I disagree. thought the OM sounded amazingly close to the WS, same bright loud sound.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
I disagree. thought the OM sounded amazingly close to the WS, same bright loud sound.
Agree to disagree. I've owned both, and to me it was apples and oranges ...

Last edited by RP; 12-14-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned, a Rainsong Shorty OM. Also a Rainsong CH-OM . Both will have to be used as they are out of production. Both have shallower bodies which will help with shoulder issues. Good luck
Old 12-13-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
Hummm....not the ones I had. Yep, agree to disagree. Both are good, but way different to my poor ears.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Hummm....not the ones I had. Yep, agree to disagree. Both are good, but way different to my poor ears.
One interesting point with this particular side-discussion: When I had both my RS Nashville OM Shorty and CH-OM at the same time (exact same size body, depth and neck scale) it was so very obvious just how much brighter and slightly louder the CH-OM was over the Nashville. This was a great comparison tool having two very similar sized guitars but with slight variations in materials. The Nashville with it's wood-infused top does indeed warm up the tone significantly over the CH-OM but also at the cost of a little less volume. For anyone interested in hearing those differences the demo video I recorded of the two can be viewed by clicking on the link to the Nashville in my sig line below.

Ultimately, I opted to keep the Nashville and let the CH-OM go. About a year later I decided that I wanted another RS in the non-wood-infused top because I wanted that brighter and louder sound especially for non-amplified playing. Because I wanted the most volume possible I decided to go with a dread and so picked up a Black Ice custom (short scale) which in my estimation would give the loudest volume due to the large body along with that bright tone. (Note - I didn't want to go with the RS Jumbo as it was just a bit too large.) The Black Ice dread has served its purpose well to the point where (until just recently) it actually became my go-to gigging guitar for both acoustic and amplified play.

I did recently switch back to the Nashville due to the significantly better amplified tone of the Anthem vs Element pickup system in the Black Ice. In making this change over I played the two guitars back and forth acoustically just to see what if any challenges there would be between the two due to the size differences. One thing that really surprised me was how loud the Nashville OM Shorty was compared to the much larger Black Ice dread. It's not louder but it seems like it's nearly as loud as the dread. I wondered why this would be and quickly figured out that it was an 'aural-illusion' due to the fact that the Nashville's sound hole is much closer to my body (and therefore ears) while the Black Ice dread's sound hole is much farther out front of me!

So, maybe that is the difference between the OM and WS since the WS body is much thicker and so it pushes the sound hole farther out front and away from the ears? I suppose it depends on the player. A thinner person might not notice this whereas with a more portly person (like me) the body of a wider guitar is pushed even farther out in front!

RainSong Nashville OM | RainSong Black Ice Dread

Methos1979: (Almost) Every guitar-related review I've written on AGF!

Scott & Donna Music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber