The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2020, 05:13 AM

Default Guitar ideas (UK)

Hi Guys,

Me again, I've been doing a lot of research lately to really try and find a guitar to begin with.

I've read many reviews about how easily people have been put off playing guitar due to it just being a strain on the fingers alike...

I'm wondering whether anyone has any acoustic guitar ideas under £150. I'm really not looking to spend a huge amount right off the bat, so if anyone has any great ideas (even second hand) I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all,

-H
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 AM

Where are you in UK?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Where are you in UK?
Hi Richard,

I'm down south.

In Portsmouth

-H
Old 09-24-2020, 05:43 AM

The thing is 150 is very limiting in viable options. For that amount of money I would look at Gumtree or any other sites that you can buy used instruments from.
If you would rather buy new, then look at Yamaha guitars or Epiphone guitars and ask in the shop for advice from the salespeople as they usually are a good resource for knowledge and will be able to point you in the right direction.
Thing is, once you have bought the guitar you will need to have a good setup done, especially on a budget guitar. Some shops will offer to do a setup free when you buy the guitar, so ask about that. If you have to take it to a guitar tech/luthier to have a setup done you will have to pay for that aswell.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:45 AM

Hold on, I'll have a quick look at shops in Portsmouth and get back to you in a minute or so.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:00 AM

OK, there is a Yamaha F310 in PMT Portsmouth within your budget. I would give them a ring and ask if they do a free setup. If they do, then you won't do much better than that guitar on your current budget, unless you go for a used instrument.
Good instruments often appear in used ads at very reasonable prices. The thing is, you could search for a lifetime and never actually get started. The choices out there these days are almost endless. You just have to bite the bullet, make a choice and then get it.
Yamaha guitars are reliable guitars and will get you off to a great start, but make sure you have a good setup done to make it as playable as it can be.
Hope this helps, Rick.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
OK, there is a Yamaha F310 in PMT Portsmouth within your budget. I would give them a ring and ask if they do a free setup. If they do, then you won't do much better than that guitar on your current budget, unless you go for a used instrument.

Good instruments often appear in used ads at very reasonable prices. The thing is, you could search for a lifetime and never actually get started. The choices out there these days are almost endless. You just have to bite the bullet, make a choice and then get it.

Yamaha guitars are reliable guitars and will get you off to a great start, but make sure you have a good setup done to make it as playable as it can be.

Hope this helps, Rick.
Hi Rick,

I really appreciate your help, I will definitely do that!

I agree with you 100%, the hardest part is biting the bullet and just going for it. My one concern is getting a guitar I'm not comfortable with and not wanting to pursue it.

I've looked at some reviews on that guitar and a lot of people are saying its great for a beginner so I will definitely look into it.

Thank you for your help!

-H
Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi Richard, I'm not far away.

Go to PMT- Unit 12 Fitzherbert Spur, Portsmouth, PO6 1TT (More Havant than Portsmouth)

There are a number of low value guitars on their website https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/stores/portsmouth

You could buy something for about £100-£200.
It WILL be of poor tonal and wood quality, but it might serve for you to learn some basic stuff.

You will not get your money back.

Here are some tips of things to avoid :

1. You don't need a dreadnought or jumbo size to learn on. Buy smaller.
2. you don't need built in electronics - that is about half the build cost for something you'll never use with this first guitar.
3. Don't worry what it looks like just find something that you feel you can make chords on
4. you don't need a cutaway - just pointless.
5. Ensure it has fret markers.
6. Unless you are going to a school or tutor you wont need a case or gig bag.
7. you WILL need a tuner, buy a cheap one and maybe a capo.
8. buy a spare set of strings, and/or maybe ask them to fit a new set when buying and watch what they do. (I bet you've got a phone that it far more expensive than your first guitar, so video them doing it.
9. Buy a winder, and some picks.

Hope that helps,
Old 09-24-2020, 06:18 AM

You are very welcome, and good luck on your guitar journey.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

HaychBe - if you’re just about to start out, your fingers will get sore and ache, no matter what guitar you buy. It’s simply a Rite of Passage that every player ever has had to go through, and there’s no avoiding it.

But the Good News is that, if you persevere but without overdoing it, it will pass - you’ll suddenly realise that your fingertips don’t get so sore so quickly, and you’ll eventually build up hard callouses on the fingertips which will prevent most, perhaps all, of the discomfort.

Buy the best guitar you can afford, have it set up properly, play and persevere - the results are well worth it!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:20 AM

Fender CC60
Epiphone AJ220

Both well under 200 quid.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
HaychBe - if you’re just about to start out, your fingers will get sore and ache, no matter what guitar you buy. It’s simply a Rite of Passage that every player ever has had to go through, and there’s no avoiding it.

But the Good News is that, if you persevere but without overdoing it, it will pass - you’ll suddenly realise that your fingertips don’t get so sore so quickly, and you’ll eventually build up hard callouses on the fingertips which will prevent most, perhaps all, of the discomfort.

Buy the best guitar you can afford, have it set up properly, play and persevere - the results are well worth it!
I was going to say this. Just much less well. Enjoy the ride - it's so worth it.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 AM

Hi H (my all time favorite guitarist is from the UK and is known as "H"),

Yamaha makes nice inexpensive guitars. If you can find a used one you could probably sell it for approximately what you paid for it. Regardless, I think it's more important that a beginner's guitar be easy to play (i.e. strings aren't 3 inches off the fretboard).

Do you know anyone who has multiple guitars who can lend you one of their inexpensive ones?
Old 09-24-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Richard, I'm not far away.

Go to PMT- Unit 12 Fitzherbert Spur, Portsmouth, PO6 1TT (More Havant than Portsmouth)

There are a number of low value guitars on their website https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/stores/portsmouth

You could buy something for about £100-£200.
It WILL be of poor tonal and wood quality, but it might serve for you to learn some basic stuff.

You will not get your money back.

Here are some tips of things to avoid :

1. You don't need a dreadnought or jumbo size to learn on. Buy smaller.
2. you don't need built in electronics - that is about half the build cost for something you'll never use with this first guitar.
3. Don't worry what it looks like just find something that you feel you can make chords on
4. you don't need a cutaway - just pointless.
5. Ensure it has fret markers.
6. Unless you are going to a school or tutor you wont need a case or gig bag.
7. you WILL need a tuner, buy a cheap one and maybe a capo.
8. buy a spare set of strings, and/or maybe ask them to fit a new set when buying and watch what they do. (I bet you've got a phone that it far more expensive than your first guitar, so video them doing it.
9. Buy a winder, and some picks.

Hope that helps,
Excellent!
I've recently been where the OP is at and if I could have had and stuck by this advice I would have.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Coincidentally I watched a youtube video this morning by Paul Davids on inexpensive guitars. You might find it useful.

Good luck in your search!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion