The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow View Post
I didn't notice much difference between the two when I tried them. Because of that, I went with gloss. It looks sooo much better on the dark wood. Also, I think think I paid under $1,900 for mine last year but they might do different bindings (mine is tortoiseshell), hence a price difference.
I think like many things the price has increased. Do you remember what you paid, just curious what the difference is.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I think like many things the price has increased. Do you remember what you paid, just curious what the difference is.
$1,860.41 after taxes.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 08-22-2020, 11:57 PM

Both satin and gloss are good. $400 more for gloss, binding and a more expensive look seems fairly reasonable. I like the gloss look but I prefer the satin because I don’t need to give it a wipe down after playing them. Pros and cons...make a list and see which one wins!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 08-23-2020, 07:48 AM

If I could make one change on the Custom Shop 00-15S I commissioned, I'd add binding of some sort. Protects, looks good, and don't think it would have added much to the cost. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Ted's specs.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I’m thinking of getting an all mahogany guitar and this custom Martin model by LA Guitars seems to check the boxes.
It comes in a satin finish and a gloss finish. Is there a big advantage to the gloss finish and does it effect the sound? Is the gloss Nitro?
The prices are listed as $1500 satin and $1900 gloss. $400 seems like a chunk for a finish but it probably adds labor.
Does anyone know if these prices are likely to be discounted like other published prices or is custom different?
TIA, John
I know i'm reviving a month-ish old thread but just curious if you ended up buying the Martin OM-15 Custom? I can see from your signature that you have a 2019 OM-15 Custom in your collection. just wanted to share the story of how i acquired my satin Custom OM-15 back in the Summer of 2012. I found mine used on Craigslist. I drove 2 hours away to Louisville, KY and walked into someone's home with $800 cash in my pocket (Given the wild craigslist murder stories that i've learned about since then, I won't be doing that anymore). But Hey! At the time, it felt like i struck Gold and i still feel like i lucked out! I was just a college kid who was doing a summer internship and was falling in love with Martin OM/000 guitars. I'd been saving money since this was gonna be my very first "real" guitar purchase. The seller also had a 000-15m for sale and he let me pick between the two. THANK GOD i picked this OM-15 Custom because at the time, I really didn't know what i was getting myself into. I love the all hog look, feel and tone. As someone else mentioned, being a satin finish, my martin developed a glossy spots mostly where my arm rests around the top lower bout area. I'd love to do a project where I can spread that same glossy look to entire top, back and sides so that it's all evenly "glossy" but that's a tall order for me. I've pretty much used Elixir's Phospor Bronz .12 gauge strings since i love the sound of those strings. The stock tuners that it came with are the "Martin" stamped nickel open gear ones and after some time, they just weren't as robust as they used to be. So a couple years ago, I replaced them with Gold Waverly open gear tuners and What a difference it has been both aesthetically and functionally. Also I was never a fan of the stock "000" style pickguard especially when this is an Orchestral Model and not a 000 like the 000-15m's so this past spring (during COVID), I got that replaced with a genuine Martin teardrop OM pickguard. I know most people on this forum will disagree with me but I dig the new look and I plan on keeping this guitar until I die! Lastly, I swapped the stock black bridge pins with a Martin white bridge pins with black dots that came off of my Martin OM-28 Podium Custom. I think these white ones compliment the "dark" look of the mahogany IMHO. Here are some pictures from flickr.

[IMG]OM-15 1 by tsega60, on Flickr[/IMG]

OM-15 2 by tsega60, on Flickr

Also next to my OM-28 Podium Custom.
OM-15 3 by tsega60, on Flickr
Old 09-23-2020, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=tsega60;6506009]I know i'm reviving a month-ish old thread but just curious if you ended up buying the Martin OM-15 Custom? I can see from your signature that you have a 2019 OM-15 Custom in your collection. just wanted to share the story of how i acquired my satin Custom OM-15 back in the Summer of 2012. I found mine used on Craigslist. I drove 2 hours away to Louisville, KY and walked into someone's home with $800 cash in my pocket (Given the wild craigslist murder stories that i've learned about since then, I won't be doing that anymore). But Hey! At the time, it felt like i struck Gold and i still feel like i lucked out! I was just a college kid who was doing a summer internship and was falling in love with Martin OM/000 guitars. I'd been saving money since this was gonna be my very first "real" guitar purchase. The seller also had a 000-15m for sale and he let me pick between the two. THANK GOD i picked this OM-15 Custom because at the time, I really didn't know what i was getting myself into. I love the all hog look, feel and tone. As someone else mentioned, being a satin finish, my martin developed a glossy spots mostly where my arm rests around the top lower bout area. I'd love to do a project where I can spread that same glossy look to entire top, back and sides so that it's all evenly "glossy" but that's a tall order for me. I've pretty much used Elixir's Phospor Bronz .12 gauge strings since i love the sound of those strings. The stock tuners that it came with are the "Martin" stamped nickel open gear ones and after some time, they just weren't as robust as they used to be. So a couple years ago, I replaced them with Gold Waverly open gear tuners and What a difference it has been both aesthetically and functionally. Also I was never a fan of the stock "000" style pickguard especially when this is an Orchestral Model and not a 000 like the 000-15m's so this past spring (during COVID), I got that replaced with a genuine Martin teardrop OM pickguard. I know most people on this forum will disagree with me but I dig the new look and I plan on keeping this guitar until I die! Lastly, I swapped the stock black bridge pins with a Martin white bridge pins with black dots that came off of my Martin OM-28 Podium Custom. I think these white ones compliment the "dark" look of the mahogany IMHO. Here are some pictures from flickr.

I found mine on Reverb. Not quite as interesting as your story and I paid substantially more than $800, great deal. I agree with what a great guitar it is. Easy to play, comfortable, sounds great etc.
Your guitar looks beautiful. How was replacing the tuners? Were they drop in? Who did the install?
I thought I read that the black bridge pins were ebony. Do you think that change had any impact on tone?
Thanks for sharing your story and your cool upgrades. It seems these guitars have a following and I’m happy to be part of it.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:01 AM

Thumbs up Nice modifications!

Hi tsega60, Nice & rustic looking Martin! I quite like the pickguard too...very unique! Gold color of the tuner goes with the brown of the OM-15.
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Mine is satin which I actually prefer
If one is careful and works slowly, it's possible to evenly buff a satin finish into a semi-gloss. That's what I did to a brand new 000-15SM, and I like the look and feel much better. It really enhances the old-time character of the instrument and makes it feel more "broken in."

Be advised that it's all too easy to over-do it and expose bare wood!

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 09-24-2020, 07:03 AM

Default Martin Custom OM-15 by LA Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
If one is careful and works slowly, it's possible to evenly buff a satin finish into a semi-gloss. That's what I did to a brand new 000-15SM, and I like the look and feel much better. It really enhances the old-time character of the instrument and makes it feel more "broken in."

Amazing job! Nice!
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 09-24-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=jschmitz54;6506206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsega60 View Post
I know i'm reviving a month-ish old thread but just curious if you ended up buying the Martin OM-15 Custom? I can see from your signature that you have a 2019 OM-15 Custom in your collection. just wanted to share the story of how i acquired my satin Custom OM-15 back in the Summer of 2012. I found mine used on Craigslist. I drove 2 hours away to Louisville, KY and walked into someone's home with $800 cash in my pocket (Given the wild craigslist murder stories that i've learned about since then, I won't be doing that anymore). But Hey! At the time, it felt like i struck Gold and i still feel like i lucked out! I was just a college kid who was doing a summer internship and was falling in love with Martin OM/000 guitars. I'd been saving money since this was gonna be my very first "real" guitar purchase. The seller also had a 000-15m for sale and he let me pick between the two. THANK GOD i picked this OM-15 Custom because at the time, I really didn't know what i was getting myself into. I love the all hog look, feel and tone. As someone else mentioned, being a satin finish, my martin developed a glossy spots mostly where my arm rests around the top lower bout area. I'd love to do a project where I can spread that same glossy look to entire top, back and sides so that it's all evenly "glossy" but that's a tall order for me. I've pretty much used Elixir's Phospor Bronz .12 gauge strings since i love the sound of those strings. The stock tuners that it came with are the "Martin" stamped nickel open gear ones and after some time, they just weren't as robust as they used to be. So a couple years ago, I replaced them with Gold Waverly open gear tuners and What a difference it has been both aesthetically and functionally. Also I was never a fan of the stock "000" style pickguard especially when this is an Orchestral Model and not a 000 like the 000-15m's so this past spring (during COVID), I got that replaced with a genuine Martin teardrop OM pickguard. I know most people on this forum will disagree with me but I dig the new look and I plan on keeping this guitar until I die! Lastly, I swapped the stock black bridge pins with a Martin white bridge pins with black dots that came off of my Martin OM-28 Podium Custom. I think these white ones compliment the "dark" look of the mahogany IMHO. Here are some pictures from flickr.

I found mine on Reverb. Not quite as interesting as your story and I paid substantially more than $800, great deal. I agree with what a great guitar it is. Easy to play, comfortable, sounds great etc.
Your guitar looks beautiful. How was replacing the tuners? Were they drop in? Who did the install?
I thought I read that the black bridge pins were ebony. Do you think that change had any impact on tone?
Thanks for sharing your story and your cool upgrades. It seems these guitars have a following and I’m happy to be part of it.
Glad you're happy with your OM-15. For mine, the Waverly tuners were direct drop-ins so super easy but I didn't want to do the work myself haha. I got those installed by a local guitar shop. The pick guard swap was done by a renowned guitar store in Atlanta called Maple Street Guitars. As for the bridge pin swap, that was all me. The stock black ones to be honest felt kinda plasticy. I've seen and felt a genuine ebony bridge pin before and the stock black ones just feel "cheap". Anyway, after swapping those with the white ones, I feel like my guitar is now a tad bit "brighter" to my ears? Maybe i'm imagining things. Who knows. I was actually entertaining the idea of trying out the Martin Luxe liquid metal bridge pins but those are quite expensive.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post

Man!!!! That's exactly what I want my Satin OM-15 to look like. How long did this task took you from start to finish? Also do you have a video tutorial on YouTube or even a thread on this forum that shows a step by step direction on how to do this and what products to use?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Hi tsega60, Nice & rustic looking Martin! I quite like the pickguard too...very unique! Gold color of the tuner goes with the brown of the OM-15.
Thank you sir! You're the only person so far who approves the teardrop pickguard look Also the Gold tuners do compliment the brown mahogany look of the guitar. They feel really solid and well made when tuning. All i can say is God bless Reverb!!!
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 AM

As another owner of an LAGS custom OM-15M, I'll chime in and say that it is an outstanding guitar and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've got the "standard" satin finish which I really like. When I acquired it used I would put the condition at very near mint. Now after a few years of playing it I have developed the glossy bit where my forearm covers the bout and I've worn some finish off of the neck in the cowboy chord region. However, I appreciate the character and no one can see the love (blemishes) because they are either covered up while playing or it is in the case. If you want to hang it on the wall or are very particular about aesthetics you may want to go glossy.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Amazing job! Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsega60 View Post
Man!!!! That's exactly what I want my Satin OM-15 to look like. How long did this task took you from start to finish? Also do you have a video tutorial on YouTube or even a thread on this forum that shows a step by step direction on how to do this and what products to use?
Thanks for the kind words! I want to be clear that if you look REALLY closely at my guitar, the consistency of the gleem is not PERFECT across the top... but it's pretty darn good.

I used NuFinish (as shown in the photo) and a rag made from an old teeshirt. It didn't take long at all, maybe 20 minutes?

Things to keep in mind when attempting this are:

1.) don't overdo it, or you will expose the wood - maintain a light touch. It's really easy to screw up, and then you'll be hosed.

2.) remain mindful of keeping the sheen consistent

3.) make sure you have very good lighting, preferably natural light from a window, so that you can really see how the surface reacts to direct light

4.) use Q-Tips on the tight spaces around the pickguard, bridge, and neck sides.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I

Last edited by beatcomber; 09-24-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDogg View Post
As another owner of an LAGS custom OM-15M, I'll chime in and say that it is an outstanding guitar and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I've got the "standard" satin finish which I really like. When I acquired it used I would put the condition at very near mint. Now after a few years of playing it I have developed the glossy bit where my forearm covers the bout and I've worn some finish off of the neck in the cowboy chord region. However, I appreciate the character and no one can see the love (blemishes) because they are either covered up while playing or it is in the case. If you want to hang it on the wall or are very particular about aesthetics you may want to go glossy.
"It's part of the guitar's story" is what my local repair guy (Jon Mouradian) said when I was lamenting some scars on one of my guitars.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion