The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 07:32 PM

Second correction: yes you're correct, JL does come with Sitka as the standard option. But I just checked my local dealer's Reverb site and on the guitar details it says Adirondack, so he did order that version.

Maybe that's why I found it so lively when others who have written describe some JLs they've played as more "sterile"? Or maybe this one was just very well made. Who knows?
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 04-30-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Just one more question from me and I'll cease.

For the guys who own or have played a OM1AJL does the guitar in the video example I include sound reasonably close to the ones you've played?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrHmUnCpyVQ

That's it

Thanks again.

Last edited by teleboli; 04-30-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleboli View Post

For the guys who own or have played a OM1AJL does the guitar in the video example I include sound reasonably close to the ones you've played?

That's it

Thanks again.
Yes and no. Overall, that was the general tonality I got on the one I played (used, a few years old and probably more broken in), however, it just felt more lively and touch sensitive than that recording sounded to me. Maybe that guys big beard was dampening it somehow? ;-) Maybe he just has a softer touch? Or different strings? I'm not sure, but my thoughts are if you like that sound, and you got the one I played, you'd like it even more. Or, maybe they start off nice and open up to be amazing after some time and playing?

Just make sure you buy from somewhere with a decent return policy.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:

That's it

Thanks again.
Like jklotz, mine sounded more lively as well. But again I don't have anywhere near the facial hair game that the youtube guy had

So maybe take this as good news, that two people who have recently played OM1AJLs have both reported theirs felt livelier than the one in that video.

But I second the comment about making sure it's an iron clad return policy, if you're going to buy it sight-unseen.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

At the risk of cliche, or worse, Collings “fan-boy-dom”, I strongly feel that the guitar in question is actually built to “sound like YOU sound”, as opposed to how IT sounds.

Also, since I’m adding comments, I prefer the Adirondack version, and the JL 1 11/16 neck, but really like the sitka as well.

Did you read the Sean McGowan review I linked by chance? He says what needs to be said. Equally importantly, this is a guy who can really play, understands music and knows guitars.

I predict that if you are any sort of an accomplished player and researched this purchase well, you’re gonna like and appreciate the JL.

BTW, the recommended NB strings may take some getting used to, especially if you’re wanting PB like sounds, or “zing”. I really like them on this guitar and my D1A, but I don’t use them on everything.

Almost forgot, the JL really capos well, and delivers very interesting tonal differences (to my ear) capoed at each fret. I usually stop at 5, which I use for simple, beautiful things like Church Street Blues both flatpicked and fingerstyle at that fret. The trebles are fine, as is the overall balance and retention of pitch ( I use a 1 11/16” McKinney Elliot w push button, and only tighten enough to prevent string rattle, not a bit more).

Hope you like the guitar and more importantly, post your considered review.

Here’s the youtube linked to the Acoustic Guitar mag review. Note this is the sitka top. I believe Lage himself has and uses one of each, sitka and adirondack:

https://youtu.be/-XVHWiAuubs

Last edited by Mark L; 04-30-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:35 PM

I will say I'm not a particularly gifted player and I found the OM1AJL to be a great sounding instrument. Yes it may be a little less forgiving and won't hide your mistakes, but it also won't necessarily accentuate them.

But then again, every guitar I've owned has been of a higher quality than its player.
-Down Home Guitars
Old 05-01-2020, 12:15 AM

If I may, please allow me to elaborate on what struck me as exceptional with the one I played. It was at Ghruen's in Nashville, and I was surrounded by many outstanding instruments, but for some reason, that's the one I walked away not being able to forget about. If it had a 1 3/4 nut, it would have come home with me.

I play hybrid fingerstyle, with a pick and 2 acrylic nails. My melody finger is my 3rd (why, I have no idea). I was able to pull a solid melody out of complex chord voicings effortlessly on that guitar. Almost like it knew what I wanted. And those notes jumped out when I wanted or laid back with the slightest effort. That's what really stood out for me, with that particular guitar. Who knows? Maybe they are not all the same? But my gut tells me I'd probably be pretty happy with any of them, which, sadly, I cannot afford right now. Oh, and that neck carve was sublime. Maybe it's a good thing the nut is not wider. A divorce would have followed!

We all play differently. A cowboy chord strummer would probably not find the same responsiveness that I did with it.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to put the differences between the guitar in the video (which I just bought ) and the examples jklotz and others played down to it being brand new.

jklotz noted the one he played was a couple years old and that could account for the differences noted right there. Factor in that it likely had pb strings vs. nickel in the video guitar, types of picks vs fingers etc. and the differences are well within the range of acceptability IMO.

Mark L, I did read the article and hear the video by Sean McGowan. I'm a jazz player and knew of Sean's chord melody pieces for some time.

In fact my whole idea with the JL is to finally find a guitar well suited to jazz solo play. I've tried many!

As you say Mark's description of the JL is exactly what a jazz player would typically look for. Woody/dry tone, emphasis on the fundamental, minimal overtones, balance up the neck etc. None of that should be surprising at all considering it was designed by Bill and Julian. Julian received a number of prototypes from Bill and kept sending them back until he got what he wanted. My sense is that Julian was intimately involved with his sig. model which is often not so much the case.

Julian's copied guitar is a '39 00018. I've owned a couple '50's 00018's. They were ultimately unsatisfying ' to me '. He really insisted on the feather weight, ultra thin finish, pre war style X- bracing, type of bridge etc for the JL. The only difference between the JL and his '39 is the scale length. The vintage 00018's I had were boomy in the bass and lacked sparkle in the trebles when you wanted it. Making it an OM scale should help correct that.

Anyway, I feel pretty good about it. The guitar certainly has all the correct ingredients and for a new guitar they really do sound old.

Again, thanks
Old 05-01-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm going to put the differences between the guitar in the video (which I just bought ) and the examples jklotz and others played down to it being brand new.

jklotz noted the one he played was a couple years old and that could account for the differences noted right there. Factor in that it likely had pb strings vs. nickel in the video guitar, types of picks vs fingers etc. and the differences are well within the range of acceptability IMO.

Mark L, I did read the article and hear the video by Sean McGowan. I'm a jazz player and knew of Sean's chord melody pieces for some time.

In fact my whole idea with the JL is to finally find a guitar well suited to jazz solo play. I've tried many!

As you say Mark's description of the JL is exactly what a jazz player would typically look for. Woody/dry tone, emphasis on the fundamental, minimal overtones, balance up the neck etc. None of that should be surprising at all considering it was designed by Bill and Julian. Julian received a number of prototypes from Bill and kept sending them back until he got what he wanted. My sense is that Julian was intimately involved with his sig. model which is often not so much the case.

Julian's copied guitar is a '39 00018. I've owned a couple '50's 00018's. They were ultimately unsatisfying ' to me '. He really insisted on the feather weight, ultra thin finish, pre war style X- bracing, type of bridge etc for the JL. The only difference between the JL and his '39 is the scale length. The vintage 00018's I had were boomy in the bass and lacked sparkle in the trebles when you wanted it. Making it an OM scale should help correct that.

Anyway, I feel pretty good about it. The guitar certainly has all the correct ingredients and for a new guitar they really do sound old.

Again, thanks
Oh man, your going to love it! Congrats! Color me jealous.

One of the things I was getting at earlier was that I don't think that was a great recording of that guitar. The player, strings, mic placement, internet compression, etc, etc... Who knows? That has nothing to do with the guitar itself obviously. My point being if you liked that video, I think you'll be blown away when you get it in your hands! Those are simply amazing guitars!

Please let us know what you think of it once you get it. Congrats again.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Old 05-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks jklotz and all who chimed in.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts .
Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Just read your earlier post.
You’re gonna like it.

Last edited by Mark L; 05-01-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I really dig the OMJL, I know some part of the inspiration was the Waterloo stuff and my only issue with the JL is that it's not MORE like the waterloos - I wish they were lighter weight builds overall. The Adirondack model is the way to go for sure. Great, great, great projection note separation on those things. I did not like either of the two sitka ones I played. They were kinda . . . mushy. Still, if the adi were my only guitar, I'd eventually want a rosewood something with a little dark low/midrange to go along w/ my JL

Last edited by usb_chord; 05-01-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Played one at AMW last November. It was a Sitka topped JL for sale on consignment. Didn't like it at all. No personality, very little warmth, and typical sterile Collings tone. Maybe it was just that guitar, not sure, but if you haven't played one or played many Collings even, I'd advise making sure you have a proper return policy.
I bought Brencat’s SCGC OM/PW and I also have a Collings 0001A 12 fret which is going to be somewhat similar tonally to an OM1JLA. The SCGC is cedar/EIR and tonally it’s apples and oranges to my Collings but I like both apples and oranges! This morning I was playing solo fingerstyle arrangements of If You Could Read My Mind, Here Comes the Sun, and Every Breath You Take back and forth on both guitars. It was so cool to hear the tonal differences with the Collings having that crisper brightness and mid’s emphasis while the SCGC has a lower richer bottom end and softer melodic line. Both worked for all three arrangements to my ears dependent upon what personality you want to present to your ears/audience.

I had a Collings OM1A and sold it to get the 0001A because I prefer the ergonomics of a 12 fret guitar and it has a bit more low end warmth. I believe the Collings OM/000 designs really excel for solo fingerstyle and solo flatpicking where you are playing a melody that you want to stand out. I tend to struggle to control the dynamics of my thumb to keep the high end of the guitar (as the vocalist) in front and the 0001A (as well as my previous OM1A) work well for me in taming that beast.

Congrats Teleboli on the new OM1JL. It sounds like the jazz style you enjoy playing will be the perfect application for this guitar. Enjoy in good health!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-02-2020, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

I really like Collings guitars. I find there tonal output to be crisp and balanced with complex mids and highs. The OMJL fits right in with the Collings signature. I’ve played quite a few OMJL guitars and have liked them all, with very little noticeable difference between Adi and Sitka models I’ve played. I would own one if I didn’t already own 2 spectacular Collings OM guitars. I think the OMJL is consistent and a safe purchase if you like the Collings signature tone. I do think that Collings guitars benefit from being played in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion