The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 08:45 PM

Default Reverb + Taxes + New York

Sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this so please move if necessary.

I知 purchasing my first guitar off Reverb later this week and I知 wonder what tax rate for New York Reverb charges....I知 trying to calculate the exact amount. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Contact Reverb with a link to the listing, they'll get back to you with the exact amount. They are very smart about tax collection.

If the instrument is from an actual dealer/shop, waste no time in calling them directly. You probably won't have to pay any tax at all if it is in another state.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the information. The seller is in Florida and I知 in New York so I may not have to pay taxes on this?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

If you buy off Reverb you will have to pay sales tax as long as your state requires it, and I'm pretty sure every state requires it now. It should just be your standard state sales tax, which for New York appears to be 4%. You can also just add the guitar to your cart (this will not require you to buy it) and proceed to the checkout page where it'll give you a breakdown of the cost of the guitar + shipping + sales tax.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
If you buy off Reverb you will have to pay sales tax as long as your state requires it, and I'm pretty sure every state requires it now. It should just be your standard state sales tax, which for New York appears to be 4%. You can also just add the guitar to your cart (this will not require you to buy it) and proceed to the checkout page where it'll give you a breakdown of the cost of the guitar + shipping + sales tax.
On EBay they charge 7.5% tax rate.

I値l try the checkout to see how much tax they charge...even though after contacting the seller I値l be putting in an acceptable offer that is less than the asking price. But I should be able to figure the tax rate. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 PM

They charge whatever your state requires. You can see the exact amount in the shopping cart.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
They charge whatever your state requires. You can see the exact amount in the shopping cart.
I did go as far as the check out and the tax was $50.33 or about 8.8%. eBay charges me 7.5%. no big deal.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Thanks for the information. The seller is in Florida and I知 in New York so I may not have to pay taxes on this?
Sales tax stinks.

That said, it used to be if a seller had nexus in a state where the customer lives then the seller had to collect sales tax. If the seller did not have nexus then no sales tax. Nexus is when the seller has a physical presence in the customer's state i.e. showroom, warehouse. Plus the seller had be a merchant. Times are changing I guess.

Now I've read here that Reverb collects sales tax on every sale

Don't quote me though I could be wrong. I would just figure in the sales tax to the price and if you get charged for sales tax it won't be a big surprise.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you buy off Reverb you will have to pay sales tax as long as your state requires it, and I'm pretty sure every state requires it now.
Five States do not charge sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Sorry that's the part of the tax that the State gets. The county also gets a share. Most counties are 8% (total), but if you are in NYC it could be maybe as much as 10%.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Some reverb sellers have started creating "reverb shops" which allow them to not charge sales tax. I do not know what other ramifications there are for buying from a "reverb shop" as opposed to reverb itself.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
Contact Reverb with a link to the listing, they'll get back to you with the exact amount. They are very smart about tax collection.

If the instrument is from an actual dealer/shop, waste no time in calling them directly. You probably won't have to pay any tax at all if it is in another state.
This is good advice. If you contact an independent, out of state seller directly, they are not obliged to charge sales tax on purchases from a buyer in another state. If you contact a chain store that has an outlet in your state, they will probably charge sales tax. And Reverb now collects sales tax on all sales (as if Reverb was a kind of a chain store operation).

Some out of state sellers have a meaningful web presence (or longstanding reputation) that is not related to Reverb, and therefore are comfortable selling guitars without going through Reverb (even though the guitar might be listed on Reverb).
Old 10-27-2020, 11:45 AM

If you live in Manhattan, the current sales tax rate is 8 7/8%. Includes state and local taxes.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicati...les/pub718.pdf

Quote:
If you contact an independent, out of state seller directly, they are not obliged to charge sales tax on purchases from a buyer in another state.
This is an oversimplification. It depends on several things; Sales Tax Nexus (physical), Economic Nexus, Origin-based Method, Destination-based Method, etc.

Last edited by mherrcat; 10-27-2020 at 11:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion