The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Based on your descriptions, I’d buy #3 and oil the RW parts to darken if that bothers you. Now my actual advise to you is to take a step back, chill, and look around more for a bit. You’re trying to talk yourself into choosing the best of the 3, but don’t seem blown away by any of them. Do you know how many J45s are out there? Why not get one that totally speaks to you , instead of making due with the best of 3 you found easily?

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 04-27-2020, 07:48 AM

Man I don’t understand how a company can charge thousands of dollars for a high quality hand crafted guitar with these issues. That off centre burst, are you kidding me, in a J45? And the glue blobs? Glue blobs on a $500 guitar, so what, small price to pay for a $500 guitar, but a J45? My Yamaha LL16 cost me over a grand CAD, not a blob of glue anywhere, so flawless. If companies can do that on lower price point guitars consistently, why can’t Gibson? Where is quality control?

Rant over, my choice would definitely be number three. I actually like the light coloured fretboard and bridge, but it has everything you’re looking for other than the lighter rosewood.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:50 AM

I own a J45, purchased last year. I wasn't as careful going over the guitar as you have been, but I couldn't help notice the upside down bridge that the J45's come with. I didn't care for it and although it certainly wasn't a deal breaker, I found myself noticing it every time I picked up the guitar to play.

That lasted about a week. I became so smitten with the sound and ease of playing a round shouldered short scale, that the "issue" of the upside down bridge became very quickly irrelevant.

If #3 sounds substantially better to you than the other two, as many others here have suggested, go for that one.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

For that kind of money I’d return all 3 and keep searching once stores were open again.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

#3 all day long! Best burst of the 3 hands down, and the bridge while a little ‘stripey’ actually blends into the color of the burst better than the other two J-45s. Gibsons are really variable in tone. It took me over 3 years of searching before I eventually bought one. If you find #3 to be to your liking, then that’s the one. Get some fretboard oil on it and it will darken that bridge right up.

Tone can’t be fixed.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-27-2020, 08:57 AM

I’d go with #3 as well. As others have said, a little oil should darken them a bit. I seem to recall threads some years ago where some even discussed applying a little stain to fretboards and bridges but I’ve never tried that myself.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:57 AM

Like most other responses, close your eyes and choose the best playing, best sounding one.

Jerry
Old 04-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi Patrick,
Welcome to the forum. I play a J 50, and I’ve got some experience with J 45s.

I would go with 3, which clearly sounds best to you. Google music nomad fretboard oil. That bridge could easily be darkened.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-27-2020, 09:23 AM

I would go with #4......oh wait there is no #4. It would be #3 the best sounding guitar by a mile. I was a cabinetmaker by trade and head of QC for a medium sized woodworking shop. I can spot the smallest flaw from a mile away. So I understand the importance of aesthetics, I really do.

BUT sound trumps everything. I have bought and sold a bunch of instruments, always kept the best sounding ones and sold off the pretty ones that didn’t have a tone I loved.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:27 AM

One thing to remember is when were the guitars built? Have they been hanging on the wall for a year or two? Strings may be pretty dead.

Maybe ask to restring your favorites and compare then, there will be alot more overtones with fresh strings!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:30 AM

3 as it sounds better!

... Besides the stripes on the fingerboard turn me on!!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 AM

it's really quite a statement on Gibson Acoustic quality control...for me, i'd keep looking as you clearly have issues with all 3...and/or maybe begin looking into other similar models by other builders as well...i think you deserve to be happy with your choice.
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I would make sure they all have the same strings applied at the same time (if you haven't already). From there I would choose the one that sounds the best.

I would also check action and neck angle since those can be somewhat variable as well (you don't want to pick one with lower saddle and higher action).
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 04-27-2020, 09:35 AM

I'd probably hold off for a bit, as it doesn't sound like any of the three really blow your socks off. There are A LOT of fantastic J45's out there, and if you're patient (especially now when folks are struggling with the budget) you might come across one that you simply can't pass on.

I was selling a guitar to a guy at his house when I noticed an older J45 in the corner. It turned out to be a '61 and the tone was absolutely heavenly! He wanted 2K (which was a steal), but my mindset was to sell a guitar and not buy one. I'm still kicking myself for not trading for it.

scott
Old 04-27-2020, 09:36 AM
Guest 33123

I guess it boils down to how much time you plan on spending obsessing over perceived flaws vs. playing the guitar. Setup? Easily overcome. Bridge and fretboard color? Easily overcome. Tone? Well you know how important that is, right? #3 but if you plan on nitpicking everytime you pick it up you should probably try something else.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
decision, gibson, gibson acoustic guitar, gibson j-45, sound