The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2020, 02:55 PM

I struggled with various DI/Preamps with my K&K equipped guitars. Since I primarily plug into my own mixer into my sound system, I found having multiple places to adjust my EQ tone awkward. I wanted to go to one place, namely my Yamaha MG series mixer, and consolidate most everything there.

To that end, I will throw another stomp box preamp into the discussion which is the very simple Red Eye by Fire Eye. Made in Austin TX. One EQ knob, boost switch and control, effects loop, and XLR out DI which can detect and run on phantom power or run off its onboard 9 volt battery. HandleS the K&K nicely, has a very transparent sound, and built like a tank. Great customer service too. After several years of gigging, the boost switch broke and they sent me an entire new unit right away.

If you have to play in a myriad of different clubs where you don’t know what you might be plugging into, this probably won’t be a good setup for you. But If you have a known set of equipment, this is a very good sounding, reliable, and simple setup.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 PM

+1 for the K&K / RedEye combo. Perfect match ! Tried it with very different guitars ranging from boomy dreads and 12-string jumbos to well balanced OMs, OOOs ... In most cases I boosted the treble via redeye treble knob, sometimes some HPF from the board - done. Simple and great.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 04-23-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
+1 for the K&K / RedEye combo. Perfect match ! Tried it with very different guitars ranging from boomy dreads and 12-string jumbos to well balanced OMs, OOOs ... In most cases I boosted the treble via redeye treble knob, sometimes some HPF from the board - done. Simple and great.
If it had a mute button it would be even better. That's the only thing I can't stand about a standard pure mini is the lack of a volume knob.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I like my Behringer AD121 preamp with my K&K. It is cheap enough to try one out and see if it works for you.
I had the ADI21 and used it with my K&K-equipped HD-28V before I bought a ToneDexter. I was reasonably happy with it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-24-2020, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
Tonedexter........ 😁😁😁😁🙃😁
+100...and other words to make up minimum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification