The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2020, 11:10 AM

Default Question about Strings on a new guitar

Hi everyone, I bought a Taylor GT Urban Ash and tuned it up but when I start playing chords such as D, the E and the A strings sound flat or off key when I strum.

I haven't ever experienced this before and wondered if it is just something inherent in a small guitar, or the strings, or the guitar itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:35 AM

Default What kind of tuner are you using?

I have found that some tuners aren't that consistant.
Also some guitars have better intonation than others.
Most of the time I will time my guitars, and then sweeten the tuning by holding a d cord while tuning. It makes a difference.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Two things come to mind. First, Taylor uses Elixir strings which last incredibly long such as a year (not played - 3 months of playing) in the boxed guitar so is it possible with Covid that your guitar is a 2019 that’s just been in the box in a back room since last Fall? Second, read about sweetened tunings. Peterson tuners will do this automatically but they are $50 more than a little Snark tuner. But basically if you tune the guitar for an E chord it will be a bit out of tune for the D chord. James Taylor also has a video about how he tunes his $30,000 Olson Signature guitar.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Kimbuka, Welcome to the AGF! Any chance that the intonation is off? Do those strings sound flat in the open position (i.e. standard G/Em/C/D/etc chords) or only when you play up the fretboard?
Old 12-09-2020, 03:30 PM

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the guitar. I'd try a new set of strings and make sure it's tuned correctly. Next step would be to contact the dealer or Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion