The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-23-2019, 12:16 PM

Default Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple

I'm gassing for a nylon string guitar. It should have a slightly shorter scale and a narrower neck than classical classic guitars have, and a spruce top. My budget is around € 1000. So I found the Cordoba Fusion 14 Maple with 640mm scale length. Unfortunately I didn't find any in Vienna, it seems that I will have to take a trip to Munich to try one.

Any thoughts or experience with this guitar?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I have the Fusion 12 in Maple, and like it a lot. Paid $700 USD for it.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:21 PM

Thank you M19. I think, the Fusion 12 Maple should be somewhat better tone wise due to better bridge position. Unfortunately only the 14 fret model has the 640mm scale.
Are there any other Fusion 14 Maple players out there?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Thank you M19. I think, the Fusion 12 Maple should be somewhat better tone wise due to better bridge position. Unfortunately only the 14 fret model has the 640mm scale.
Are there any other Fusion 14 Maple players out there?
I have played the Fusion Maple 14 at a music store and it was quite nice. My main reason for seeking one out to play was to experience the 48mm nut width and radius fret board. I liked it fine and bought a Cordoba C10 crossover. Playability is a very personal thing and if the 640 mm scale length better suites you then pursue it.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:05 PM

I own the Fusion 14 RS (spruce over rosewood) and I like it a lot, especially since I got it on a Musician's Friend SDOTD.

The built-in pickup system is pretty meh, but works decently with ToneDexter.

I might consider maple for a steel string, but it seems like the wrong way to go for a nylon string guitar (to me).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-26-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I own the Fusion 14 RS (spruce over rosewood) and I like it a lot, especially since I got it on a Musician's Friend SDOTD.

The built-in pickup system is pretty meh, but works decently with ToneDexter.

I might consider maple for a steel string, but it seems like the wrong way to go for a nylon string guitar (to me).
The backs on these are laminate construction. If one is to believe Bob Taylor he states there is no tonal difference between rosewood, maple, mahogany, koa and walnut laminates that they use on Taylor Guitars.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:57 AM

Fusion 12 maple owner here. Love it. Tried many "crossover" guitars ( Takamine, Yamaha, etc) before buying this one. I bought it when my teacher started teaching me classical/latin style. Nylon works really good with these styles as well as lots of blues tunes I like. Has become my #2 guitar ( right after my Martin 000-15). Very resonant, nice construction, 1 3/4 neck makes the transition from steel very easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical