The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2023, 10:34 AM

Default "Death of The Guitar Store": Yamaha sells direct? Never seen it.

At 1:46 of this video, Chris Mckee says that Yamaha sells direct.

I've never seen a portal through which Yamaha sells direct.

Admittedly, I'd never buy online any instrument from a dealer/seller that didn't cover me with an easy 14-to-30 day return policy.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
At 1:46 of this video, Chris Mckee says that Yamaha sells direct.

I've never seen a portal through which Yamaha sells direct.

Admittedly, I'd never buy online any instrument from a dealer/seller that didn't cover me with an easy 14-to-30 day return policy.

I've never heard of Yamaha selling direct. I'd be curious to see a page or link.

Also, Yamaha is an enormous company, even just considering their musical instrument offerings. These gents seem a bit uncertain of their info. It's entirely possible that Yamaha sells flutes and clarinets and such direct, but not guitars.

My Thoughts (for what they're worth),
Scott Memmer
Old 03-07-2023, 11:20 AM

Yamaha's website lists the products' MSRPs.

But if you want to buy something, it takes you to a link to find your nearest dealer.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Coast, thanks for your research.

I can't speak for Yamaha, but I know with Martin, for instance, if someone buys a guitar direct, they search their database of dealers and give the credit (and profit) from the sale to the dealer with the closest zip code.

sm
Old 03-07-2023, 12:42 PM

if it's on youtube it must be true??

no?????????

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-07-2023, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

They do have some sort of retail wing in the UK and Europe, at least. I'm not sure what the precise business relationship is, or how many countries it operates in but there's certainly a Yamaha Music online store in the UK where I am.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 03-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

I can't speak for Yamaha, but I know with Martin, for instance, if someone buys a guitar direct, they search their database of dealers and give the credit (and profit) from the sale to the dealer with the closest zip code.

sm
Oh Lord…that would be a Guitar Center that hasn’t had any Martin inventory except for extremely entry level stuff in years.

Sure, seems about right.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Oh Lord…that would be a Guitar Center that hasn’t had any Martin inventory except for extremely entry level stuff in years.

Sure, seems about right.
I hadn't thought of that, so you make a good point. However, in a company this big, those funds might still go to the closest INDEPENDENT dealer. With big customers, vendors typically have separate and exclusive deals, discounts behind the price sheet based upon huge volume commitments. All the water is squeezed out of those deals, so it's highly unlikely that a company like Martin would pass along any other profits to a major dealer like GC, MF or Sweetwater. Frankly, those deals are so tightly structure that even a percent or two makes the entire package unprofitable for the vendor.

scott memmer
Old 03-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't see how manufacturers selling direct online is going to hurt brick and mortar guitar stores any worse than the likes of Sweetwater and Musicians Friend already are. People who are going to stores in order to play before the buy, or simply because they like to shop in stores are still going to go to the stores. Dealers selling online are just another online seller in a sea of online sellers. This is nothing new, before online sales there was catalog sales. The competition has always been there in one form or another. I think the independent guitar stores going out of business were going to go out of business regardless.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 03-08-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:00 PM

If the pandemic taught us anything it’s that the world of retail “shopping” is changing rapidly.

Direct to consumer, Marketplaces, on line specialty stores…I believe that in 10 years the US retail landscape will have far fewer big box retailers. There will be a few, of course, like [insert name here]. But the great big single focus store (think sporting goods and music stores as examples) will be revenue forced to limit selection and downsize their footprint. Stores will become showrooms for people to check out merchandise and then price shop it online.

I think it’s entirely possible that major musical instrument manufacturers could go to a direct to consumer model. In fact, I’d be shocked if it doesn’t happen. The technology and logistics are there already.

As an FYI, while this is merely my opinion, I spent my career in consumer product sales and have worked with every major national (and many regional) retailers across virtually every consumer segment…
Old 03-07-2023, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

I had an old sales manager who said there was quality, price, and service, and you can have any two. Over the last thirty years, service has become a lost value. But when you need it, folks wonder why they aren't treated the same as the guy who bought the guitar in the shop. Maybe the third or forth guitar they bought in the shop.

But they had no problem using the shop's inventory to decide they wanted a D 18.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-07-2023, 03:31 PM

Talking so sad

Here in New Zealand we seem to have only 2 Major players, yes some have individual names but are under one umbrella or the other. a little like mom and pop funeral homes, retain their name but is steered buy some one else.

Have noticed each store has select brands and the same price between stores under said umbrella, should the stores have the same item its the same price, no competition. Product blurb is a poor cut and paste from the brand.

Message to the stores. I'd like to see your product eg; AMPs like the old printer shoot out guides. so at a glance I can see the one with ALL the bells and whistles a reel envy monster and the ones that suits my expected needs in the next 10 years.

If it wasn't for the Internet we would blame big box stores for shutting down what we had up-to pre late 80s, Heck Sony and the other motion picture players could shut the door on the humble cinema today with an on demand subscription.

We still need our show room / standard store. No One wants to wait 2 weeks for a set of strings to come across town. Yes in this age some couriers are bleeping slack.

And of course we have the need to hear sound and touch the item. online sound can not help to much, goes along way in trying. The old folk like my self will remember the ads on VHS tapes, 'you could watch this on DVD" gives some fantastic sound and graphics.. Great if VHS can produce such great sound I do not need DVD. Do the kids know what a DVD is?
Old 03-07-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
If the pandemic taught us anything it’s that the world of retail “shopping” is changing rapidly.
Funny how it was a Pandemic, we couldn't and still can not get certain stuff but nationwide supermarket had no troubles getting a whole new fleet of mini trucks
Old 03-07-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I don't see how dealers selling direct online is going to hurt brick and mortar guitar stores any worse than the likes of Sweetwater and Musicians Friend already are. People who are going to stores in order to play before the buy, or simply because they like to shop in stores are still going to go to the stores. Dealers selling online are just another online seller in a sea of online sellers. This is nothing new, before online sales there was catalog sales. The competition has always been there in one form or another. I think the independent guitar stores going out of business were going to go out of business regardless.
As a point of clarification, Sweetwater is a "brick and mortar" store by definition. You can also get a good lunch there and even a haircut.

By contrast, my local "brick and mortar" music shop also sells on Reverb and eBay, but does not have a Cafe or hair stylist available.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

sm
As far as I’m aware, Martin does not sell any guitars direct to consumers. Where are you seeing the possibility of buying a guitar directly from Martin?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion