The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 03:47 PM

Default NUGD: Alvarez Yairi DY-39 1989

Found the 6-string counterpart to my Twin Six on Ebay, and with Mrs. Twin Six's approval t & encouragement, took the gamble that it would not need extensive set-up to be playable. With more than a little trepidation, I clicked Buy It Now. The gamble certainly paid off.

In preparation for its arrival, a bought two sets of strings, Martin Marquis 80/20 Extra Lights (0.10 - 0.47) & Lights (0.12 -0.54). Good thing I bought two sets. When it arrived, I tuned up the ancient strings on it and strummed a few chords that went thud. Off they came, and the dusty, grimy guitar got a vacuum-out, fret polishing, & fingerboard oiling. During this process, I noticed that the first several frets are dimpled, so the original owner clearly loved this guitar and played a lot. After this clean-up, on went the Extra Lights. While clipping the excess string ends, I accidentally snipped the B string. Then tuning up the remaining strings, the high E string snapped before quite getting in tune, so off came the Extra Lights. The guitar essentially spit them out.

At this point, I noticed that the tuners were loose, so I snugged them up with a 10mm box wrench, and strung it with the Lights. Once tuned, it sang!

And so, for a very reasonable price and a bit of elbow grease, I've got a guitar I love and can hardly put down that is the six-string twin of my Twin Six. Here's a photo of both of them:

Alvarez Yairi Dreadnoughts by Jonathan Barrett Adams, on Flickr

Last edited by Twin Six; 10-26-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:40 PM

Congrats on the new used. Love me some A by Y.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20201012_163033.jpg (38.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Congrats on the new used. Love me some A by Y.
Alvarez Yairis are incredible sounding guitars for the money.

You have quite the collection. I'm going to be content with the two I have.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:20 PM

Bump for a new used that cost less than a bajillion dollars that no one wants to comment on. Congrats I know how it feels to buy a specific vintage you've been hunting.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:03 PM

Congrats Twin 6. I have owned several Yairis over the years and loved them for gigging.while they don’t get a ton of overt love on this forum, I think they are quietly well respected.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 PM

I've picked up a few - and every one I have has been fantastic - but I've never had that concurrence of money + availability. Perhaps some day I will see one when I have the ducats!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 PM

I love Alvarez Yairi guitars! Congratulations on two beautiful ones!
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Bump for a new used that cost less than a bajillion dollars that no one wants to comment on. Congrats I know how it feels to buy a specific vintage you've been hunting.
Thanks. This one somehow spoke to me even through mediocre Ebay photos. Also, '89 was the year I discovered the sitar, which led me to the guitar. Good year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Congrats Twin 6. I have owned several Yairis over the years and loved them for gigging.while they don’t get a ton of overt love on this forum, I think they are quietly well respected.
Thanks. That's the impression I got when doing research on the DY-39. Old AGF threads that popped up on Google were usefully informative and also showed plenty of respect for the work of the late Kazuo Yairi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I've picked up a few - and every one I have has been fantastic - but I've never had that concurrence of money + availability. Perhaps some day I will see one when I have the ducats!
AYs are superb guitars and a great value. I raised the ducats by selling off some camera gear on Ebay. Hope you find the one for you when you've got the ducats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I love Alvarez Yairi guitars! Congratulations on two beautiful ones!
Thanks. Having a matched set feels pretty special. And that abalone AY logo holds a certain magic for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez - yairi dy39, alvarez yairi