The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I usually perform in a seated or semi-seated position and I've found that this stool is very comfortable. It's a tad taller than a chair but shorter than a bar stool. I can also place my heel on the rung on the front and it raises my knee to the perfect position to hold my guitar.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ool-with-stand

'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-27-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I purchased these at Costco last year for my music partner and I for gigs. Easy to transport, height is adjustable, etc. Very comfy, even without a taller back rest.

https://www.costco.com/ultra-cushion...100504658.html

• Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 10-27-2020, 08:30 AM

I pay attention to the folks who rave about their Soundseats. Interesting that the designer was a drummer, in that some drum stools seem to have similar features (minus that foot-ring option which many guitarist would like while it would be pointless for a drummer.)

I use a drum stool in my studio space for myself a good deal of the time. This one:

Roc-N-Soc drum throne

You can add a backrest option to it, and there's even colors. There's a $10 cheaper option if you go with an office chair style five point base.

Here are good things about it: the padding is comfortable to sit in for a long time. I think the "tractor seat" saddle-style cutouts are also part of why it works well. Those are there for the drummer who needs leg freedom, but they also work well for those of us who work expression, wah or volume pedals when playing keys or electric guitar. And of course it works well as a drum stool, the thing it's sold as.

I liked it so much that I bought a used example of their "Tower Saddle Stool" which lets you sit so your head is roughly at a standing person's height. This is good in my studio when the drum stool is in use, and let's me rest my old joints but see around the room while sitting.

Again, I pay attention to the Sound Seat testimonials here. I like the idea of a small family business and their product may be better made or otherwise better.

By the way, Silly M's suggestion about the ubiquitous folding chair is also a good option. I used them when I played on stage sitting--yes, not ideal, but I still prefer it even when playing acoustic, and I used to have a volume and wah pedal for my electric and would play them at the same time, which is not something bipeds can do while standing. Easy to ask for at a venue without getting into no-green M&Ms territory.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 AM

Aware I was looking for a simple stool fitting my seated posture,
my wife bought me a simple artisan made four feet stool which
allows me to put my feet flat on the floor and I use a simple
secretary large footstool I can use wether I play either classical
or folk position (elevating left or right thigh).
Old 10-27-2020, 11:44 AM

About 4 years ago I purchased a SoundSeat because my lower back was hurting from any other chairs/stools I used for any real length of time.

Now, after 4 years (I can play several hours in a day) -I can’t remember the last time my lower back bothered me!

PS I got the casters (little wheels). I like the ability to roll around a little at times!

Last edited by Kittoon; 10-27-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker1 View Post
+1

Sam Ash used to sell this without the guitar hangar for $110. That's where I got mine. They stopped selling them for some reason (although I haven't checked to see if this changed again in the past year).
Old 10-27-2020, 12:58 PM

The Sound Seat looks terrific, but I didn't want to spend quite so much.

As an alternative, I got a Roc-n-Soc drum throne with a backrest. I'm very happy with it, and I saved almost $150.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:04 PM

I have Mity Lite Flex One folders in the garage, on the porch, in my lil' practice area downstairs; they are seriously comfortable and I can sit for 2 or 3 hours with no problem at all. I carry them to gigs if I anticipate sitting.

My friends that come over to jam have all bought them for their own use after using mine.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:08 PM

I can’t seem to get comfortable on my SoundSeat. It pitches me forward even though I’ve raised the front, per the instructions.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-28-2020, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Pricey but beautifully made and best guitar chair I have tried with bonus of back support -

https://originalguitarchair.com/

Great Christmas present from my wife 5-6 years ago.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-28-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I know that you can spend thousands on "special chairs, and you kow that if it helps me I will spend money on my passion for guitars and playing them.

This, however, is a really serious suggestion, which will enable you to sit properly

See : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winsome-W...shes/572400495

You're Welcome
Funny- I came here to post that exact chair, it's what I've been using for the last year. And it works perfectly- precisely because it DOES "encourage" you sit up straight, instead of relying on the chair for "support" (which in many cases actually causes slouching/roundback).

I wouldn't mind it having a thin cushion on it tho. Maybe I'll find one the right size someday.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-28-2020, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

I love my Soundseat and use it every day. Bretta is wonderful to deal with. She'll work with you to get everything just like you want. Great chair, great experience.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:15 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I can’t seem to get comfortable on my SoundSeat. It pitches me forward even though I’ve raised the front, per the instructions.
I had the same problem when I first assembled mine. Then I realized I had the backrest set too far forward and it was pushing me out of the sweet spot on the seat. Adjusted the backrest and my SoundSeat has been blissfully comfortable ever since...

Old 10-28-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicster View Post
Just wondering what everyone sits on when playing guitar at home, i usually just sit on the edge of the couch twist round a little bit so the guitar is also supported by the couch a little and play. My wife keeps telling me its bad for my back to sit like that for hours on end, been doing it like that for years. Well now my back is getting a bit sore probably from arthritis rather than my seated playing position but who knows.
What are people here doing? do we all have special dedicated guitar seats or not?
Some recommendations would be great on comfortable healthy seating arrangements.
Thanks for any info Cheers Mic.
I have found that office chairs are what works best. Just pick out an adjustable chair with removeable arms that you like. I pull off one arm or both. You are left with a chair that can be adjusted easily and frequently as to avoid getting stiff playing in one position all the time. Its a lot cheaper then trying to find a fancy guitar chair for sure.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I had the same problem when I first assembled mine. Then I realized I had the backrest set too far forward and it was pushing me out of the sweet spot on the seat. Adjusted the backrest and my SoundSeat has been blissfully comfortable ever since...
Me too. It also took me a little time to figure out how to use the foot rest I ordered. To do it over I probably would not add the foot rest ring and foot rest.

I was inspired to get a better chair after Intel sent my working at home wife a Steelcase chair. I looked into ordering one for me with no casters and no arms, but that particular combo was not available except at list price, which was a couple hundred dollars more than the Soundseat. Another thing I appreciate over the Steelcase fabric is the Soundseat leather is not a dog hair magnet.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion