The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
So the Vespel family by itself has 10-15 varities, the ketone family has another 10-15 variants, so you can see that we're already at 25+ plastics, and only we've mentioned only two families out of dozens. One hundred is a LOW number. Very low.

All which is to say, it is a great time to be an acoustic player.

Forgive my intrusion. I'm a teacher by training. Does it show?

Health & Safety to All,
Scott Memmer
Have you had any experience with Garolite or any other pheonolic composites for making picks? There are multitudes of infill materials that can be used with pheonolics, such as paper, linen, fiberglass, carbon, etc. There are also varieties of grades of the resin itself. From the industrial machining experience, it is an extremely useful, strong and durable material to work with. It is used even in the billiard industry for producing ferrules and obviously pool/snooker balls. Another resin that I would be interested if you have knowledge of is polythermide resins. It has exceptional impact and wear resistance, stiffness and overall high mechanical strength. I understand it was initially designed for its heat insulation properties, but it is exceptionally tough.

Sorry if I have gotten off track, you guys have really sparked my interest in this thread.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
Have you had any experience with Garolite or any other pheonolic composites for making picks? There are multitudes of infill materials that can be used with pheonolics, such as paper, linen, fiberglass, carbon, etc. There are also varieties of grades of the resin itself. From the industrial machining experience, it is an extremely useful, strong and durable material to work with. It is used even in the billiard industry for producing ferrules and obviously pool/snooker balls. Another resin that I would be interested if you have knowledge of is polythermide resins. It has exceptional impact and wear resistance, stiffness and overall high mechanical strength. I understand it was initially designed for its heat insulation properties, but it is exceptionally tough.

Sorry if I have gotten off track, you guys have really sparked my interest in this thread.
Billy, so funny you should mention this. I was just thinking about this the other day.

About a year ago, on another forum, I got word that people were making picks that they liked quite a lot from vintage poker chips. These were made a pheonolic resin (Bakelite), the same exact stuff you're talking about, Billy, and are actually quite beautiful.

I bought 100 poker chips and hope by next year to make some free samples, if anyone is interested, although I doubt this would happen any earlier than next summer. People say they sound and feel a lot like Casein. Well, that was enough to make my ears perk up. Interestingly, although the material has almost nothing in common with casein, Bakelite and casein were discovered, separately, at almost the exact same time, around 1900.

Most of these poker chips were marketed under the trade name CATALIN, so that's what you want to look for: Catalin Poker Chips. However, they are frequently misnamed or misidentified. They only run $1.00-2.00 per chip, and you can often find a dozen or two for cheap. There must be tens of millions of these things out there.

The best way to tell if they're genuine Catalin is by the appearance. They were generally made in three colors -- red/orange, blue-green, and my favorite, white or ivory. If you find the genuine article, note that over the decades the white turns to a gorgeous butterscotch ivory. If you see that, you're looking at the real thing. Again, look for the tradename CATALIN. If I recall my research correctly, this was the name of the firm that made them and it became the tradename in the marketplace.

Yeah, I'm obsessed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAKELITE-gr...EAAOSwOA5flhsb

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-26-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
vintage poker chips.
Funny YOU say that, I literally just had someone give me a case of about 500 vintage poker chips (12kg worth) last Friday when I was getting my dirtbike out of the storage unit. Fancy case and all.

I will be trying this! Got me all excited now, lol.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
Funny YOU say that, I literally just had someone give me a case of about 500 vintage poker chips (12kg worth) last Friday when I was getting my dirtbike out of the storage unit. Fancy case and all.

I will be trying this! Got me all excited now, lol.
Hah! Billy, they may or may not be Catalin. There are a lot of vintage chips out there made of clay and other bizarre materials. And also, the reason these ceased being made was celluloid came into the market around 1930-1940 and was cheaper and easier to work with.

The ivory/butterscotch color is a dead giveaway, though.

BTW, that resin is nasty stuff. Do NOT attempt to laser-cut or laser-etch that stuff. My understanding is it produces a poisonous gas. Although, if you have an N95 mask on, you're probably cool.

PM me without or without photos if you like. I'd love to hear -- and see -- the results of your experiments.

sm
Old 10-27-2020, 06:57 AM

I don't want to be a buzzkill on high tech picks. Has anyone ever studied these new materials to see if they are safe to use for picks or other purposes? Some substances just aren't good for our bodies.

I also question the use of carbon fibre in guitars because inhaling carbon fibre isn't so good for you either. At least wood is a natural substance that will break down over time. Some of these new materials will sit in your lungs and cause scarring and damage over time, akin to asbestos.

I'm likely being overly paranoid. However, these are interesting questions. I wouldn't want to be sanding these new high tech materials without more information.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 10-27-2020, 03:56 PM

for the most part, resin based materials will be fine as long as you don't burn them. The only danger you would really have to worry about is if you used something too brittle and a piece chipped off while you were playing and went in your eye or something.

When cutting any synthetic material, you should always use a respirator with 3 micron or less filtration along with skin and eye protection. Carbon is permanent. If it gets in your lungs, it never comes out pretty much.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
I don't want to be a buzzkill on high tech picks. Has anyone ever studied these new materials to see if they are safe to use for picks or other purposes? Some substances just aren't good for our bodies.
Make-up is not a food grade product. Think about that the next time you kiss your sweetie.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-27-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Not to sidetrack but...

I'd be curious to know if Charmed Life Picks have any interest in a foray into Thumb picks.

I have thumb picks from Pro-Pik and BlueChip. I like the band on Blue Chip, but I find the blade to be a little thick and inflexible. The blade on the Pro-Pik is a nice thickness, but it cold be better material and the band isn't as comfortable as the BlueChip.

It seems like the ultra high quality Charmed Life pick material on a well made, nice, comfortable band would be just the ticket...
Old 10-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I'd be curious to know if Charmed Life Picks have any interest in a foray into Thumb picks.

I have thumb picks from Pro-Pik and BlueChip. I like the band on Blue Chip, but I find the blade to be a little thick and inflexible. The blade on the Pro-Pik is a nice thickness, but it cold be better material and the band isn't as comfortable as the BlueChip.

It seems like the ultra high quality Charmed Life pick material on a well made, nice, comfortable band would be just the ticket...
I'm sure Scott can chime in but he's been asked many times. I've asked him a few myself! Hopefully one day he can bring one to market.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:37 AM

I am in a pick nightmare of my own making right now (I am a beginner, so it’s all good ).

I would love to try a Charmed Life pick, but I find absolutely no direction from looking at their website. There’s no description of the material the pick is made from, or the different shapes and thicknesses.

Oh, well. I have yet another pick coming in the mail in the next few days. Wish me luck!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I am in a pick nightmare of my own making right now (I am a beginner, so it’s all good ).

I would love to try a Charmed Life pick, but I find absolutely no direction from looking at their website. There’s no description of the material the pick is made from, or the different shapes and thicknesses.

Oh, well. I have yet another pick coming in the mail in the next few days. Wish me luck!
Email Scott using the form or PM him here. He's an extremely nice, helpful guy who will steer you in the right direction.

I just took ownership of a CLP blonde 1.15. I need some time to process what I'm feeling and hearing before I post a full review.

Just after 30 minutes of playing, I will say this. I've tried dozens of picks from standard materials and casein. There was my John Pearse Fast Turtle Mediums (2.4mm) and then everything else by a wide margin. Even the Fast Turtle thins couldn't hang with the medium.

Now I have the JPFT Medium *and* the CLP Blonde 1.15. For the loudest/hardest attack, I think I prefer the JPFT-M. But it's also 2X the thickness which would explain why it sounds a little louder/sharper in its attack. But it's main weakness is that it almost always is going at a loud volume, even when softly picked. The CLP-B has much more nuance, and at all volumes outside of "as loud as I can go" I prefer it to the JPFT. It also has more versatility in that I can get very different and still appealing sounds depending on how hard I hold the pick, where I hold it, angle of attack, etc. whereas the JPFT is pretty much a one position pony (it has a thumb indentation which forces you to hold it a certain way).

But I am definitely a fan of the CLP Blonde.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-29-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Charmed life order time

What is the deal with Charmed Life? I ordered a couple of picks on October 20.
Here is the E mail they sent:
We’ve received your order.
We’ll let you know when your items have been shipped.
Order No. 11469 Placed on Oct 20, 2020
... still nothing. How hard is it to send a couple of picks in the mail?
Still waiting.
In the future I will use a different company.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
Still waiting.
They've been backed up forever. They're making them as fast as they can, but they rarely have stuff just sitting waiting to ship. I've bought several Charmed Life Picks over the past couple of years. None of them arrived quickly. All of them were worth the wait.

-Ray
Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Still waiting.

If I had the same question, I'd contact Scott at CLP, or send him a PM here, instead of posting it in open forum...but then, I'm old fashioned.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Still waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
They've been backed up forever. They're making them as fast as they can, but they rarely have stuff just sitting waiting to ship. I've bought several Charmed Life Picks over the past couple of years. None of them arrived quickly. All of them were worth the wait.
Scott, you're disgusted after nine days? Wow. I don't think much is shipping as scheduled right now, but Ray above said it well. I imagine Scott of CLP is making your picks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion