The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Its a good idea to ask the seller that question. Its a great way to save money over buying new if you see something you like and you don't care about the warranty.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I am intrigued by descriptions of instruments that were bought and, reportedly, never touched. I wonder, for some, if the hunt is the more important, or at least more exciting, than the acquisition. An acquaintance who fancies Ferrari's admits that as soon as he gets one, he makes plans to sell it.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM

Impulse buy, lack of bonding with the guitar later. Guilty as charged....
Old 10-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

That ever-elusive siren call of finding 'the one', 'the grail', the PERFECT GUITAR FOR ME which is a myth. So we plod on from guitar to guitar thinking that maybe this one that is better because it's more expensive or that one because so and so plays it or has this tonewood or that tonewood or this or that or this or that.

Several decades ago we had less money and free time and no access to EVERY SINGLE GUITAR MANUFACTURED EVERYWHERE with a click of a button so we wandered into the local store and played the few guitars on the wall and settled for the one that felt and sounded best that we could afford and then just lived with it since we didn't know any better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining or pining for a simpler time. I love seeing all these guitars for sale. I love completely turning over my entire collection annually. Life is short. Guitars are good.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 PM

I bought my D18 "new"
It was new when I bought it in 2017 but, it was built in 2015 so it had been at the dealer's for almost two years. The good news was the dealer was Wildwood Music in Ohio so I knew the guitar had been properly cared for.
Why it hadn't been sold...I don't know and I don't care. It's as good an example of a D18 as you will find tonewise right down to the magnificent top with silking and some bear claw.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-03-2019, 07:34 PM

I think it is very credible that long distance buying is responsible. I'm not saying buying long distance is bad, sometimes there is no choice. I know from buying ukes that I have had to buy long distance to get what I want.

I'd much rather try before I buy. I'm sure many feel the same way.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:42 PM

Thoreau said something about fisherman not understanding that it's not the fish they're really after.

Appetitive behavior assumes many strange and interesting forms.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Speaking of which...
Aren't sales taxes now being collected in most states on internet sales?
I know I'm now being charged on all my Amazon orders.
Seems like in the long run local B&M small shops will start to benefit.
Amazon has been collecting sales tax for a while now. I just recieved an email from ebay saying they will now be collecting sales tax on behalf of 35 states and remitting it directly like Amazon.

Helps level the field a bit but there is still a long way to go.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
The quest for the "holy grail" ... and as has been said, "the internet". And, going out on limb, people buying them don't really know what the heck they really want, but keep trying to find it.
Guilty as charged. But man it’s a fun quest.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:12 PM

Back when I played golf, I was always looking for the perfect set of clubs, the driver that could finally cure my slice. I went through several sets of clubs and many drivers. Same thing happens with guitars. I went through a large number of guitars over the past 10 years. I've pretty much settled on the 5 in my signature as being really nice. Do I still look yes, but my days of turning over guitars that are less than 2 years old, I think, are over.

I agree that buying guitars sight unseen over the Internet has contributed to this phenomenon. I'm lucky to live in a large metropolitan area with several good guitar stores where you can actually try out guitars in person. In fact of the 5 guitars I currently own, 4 were picked out in person only one was purchased remotely, from My Favorite Guitars. Would be interested in others experience in what this ratio of locally purchased vs. remotely purchased is.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 10-03-2019, 09:25 PM

GAS might be one of the reasons. I've seen people say they can't justify having x guitars (put any positive integer here). So when they buy new ones, they may simply have to part with their 'old' guitars.

What I can't really understand is when people talk about the resale value of a guitar even before buying it. Seems like the used market is quite flourishing. Same for cars. I mean, it's hard to say when you may need to sell it for some reasons, but taking the resale value into consideration right at the beginning is just too much.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

People buy and sell guitars for lots of different reasons. I bought a guitar and thought I could adjust to the neck specs. After a couple of months, it was clear that I could not so I decided to sell it. I have a friend who bought a guitar and 6 months later had an unforeseen financial situation and decided to sell it. So, multiply that by bunches of people and you have a bunch of guitars ready to find a new home.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-04-2019, 04:14 AM

It’s the “hunt” that people enjoy. Once they get their “deer”, they think the “bison” is better. So they go hunt for the bison. Next they figure that the elephant is better...and the hunt continues...
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-04-2019, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

I think some of it is people think “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence,” and some is, as people say, Internet convenience.

For me, buying and selling over the years has been a hobby and a really great way to get to play and experience dozens of guitars I never really would have otherwise. I’ve learned a lot about guitars and what I like and don’t in the process.

Last edited by zoopeda; 10-04-2019 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-04-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? Effective marketing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion