The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I just got an Apogee Duet and made a little recording with the Olson:
...and it sounds great. The Duet is a fantastic device--great preamps, lots of clean gain, killer converters, cool interface.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I'm looking forward to the future!
That's what I used to think as well. Now I just want time to stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
C'mon Mau, say "cheeeeeeeeeeeese" for the camera... you can do it.

Sounds wonderful... and the tune is lovely. Looking forward to that impromptu becoming your new original on your first solo acoustic album.

Thanks so much for continuing to post such inspiring music,

Cheers, berf
A client of mine commented on my LinkedIn picture and said I didn't look very friendly. I took it as a compliment! LOL

Thank you for listening. If this tune appears on a CD I'd have to re-write that terrible scale I played at the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
...and it sounds great. The Duet is a fantastic device--great preamps, lots of clean gain, killer converters, cool interface.
Thanks, Jon. I can't believe how quiet my last recording turned out compared to my previous ones. It's still "living room quality" albeit a much better grade.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

This is improvisation? Sounds like a composed piece of music. Great job!

You know....you should consider doing an in-color video rundown of each guitar in your stable.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Guest 213

Mau,

Great picture, great sound, great playing, and great creativity! So happy to hear you are getting an upgraded recording setup. There definitely is a noticeable difference in the cleanness as you mentioned. I've got the Duet (the original all-silver one) as well and two Rode NT1-A mics.

Btw, sorry I never got to tabbing out your arrangements. Just not enough time with everything else I want/need to do. You're doing what I need to be doing--recording more music! I'll have to plan something for my soon-to-be-delivered Charis GC since people will be wanting sound samples anyway.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
This is improvisation? Sounds like a composed piece of music. Great job!

You know....you should consider doing an in-color video rundown of each guitar in your stable.
If you spell "colour" properly on the forum for the next month, I might consider your request...

As for the improvisation, I actually did one try that was so terrible I didn't post it. The recording with the Bourgeois was my second take on the same theme. Still a bit choppy.

By the time I recorded my latest version with the Olson, I had the opportunity to listen to my recording and rehearse it several times.

I always approach an improvisation with a theme in mind -- and then whatever happens, happens. For example, the bit where I stop and resume with the slapping was an accident -- but I thought it was cool so I decided to keep it.

Thanks for listening, Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Mau,

Great picture, great sound, great playing, and great creativity! So happy to hear you are getting an upgraded recording setup. There definitely is a noticeable difference in the cleanness as you mentioned. I've got the Duet (the original all-silver one) as well and two Rode NT1-A mics.

Btw, sorry I never got to tabbing out your arrangements. Just not enough time with everything else I want/need to do. You're doing what I need to be doing--recording more music! I'll have to plan something for my soon-to-be-delivered Charis GC since people will be wanting sound samples anyway.
Thanks, Jon.

As much as I was honoured by your offer, I know how much work it represents and figured no healthy person would want to do that just for fun...

I'll get a pair of stereo mics soon and look forward to posting new recordings.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
If you spell "colour" properly on the forum for the next month, I might consider your request...
You dont understand, Mau. This is...

Dont make me find a picture of a deep fried dollar bill.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You dont understand, Mau. This is...
OK now I get it. Brings back old memories.

I remember visiting my cousin in LA when I was 10 or so. For many years, I had learned in school that Americans are people who live in America, which would include Canadians. I was so disappointed to realize we were excluded by your local definition... LOL

It was on the same trip that I discovered in Vegas that the locals eat steak for breakfast. Wicked.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK now I get it. Brings back old memories.

I remember visiting my cousin in LA when I was 10 or so. For many years, I had learned in school that Americans are people who live in America, which would include Canadians. I was so disappointed to realize we were excluded by your local definition... LOL

It was on the same trip that I discovered in Vegas that the locals eat steak for breakfast. Wicked.
Yeah, we're a ridiculous bunch. And according to the Brits, notorious for not being able to poke fun at ourselves. I guess didn't inherit that quirk. Never quite understood the steak and eggs thing either. Hmm..my deportation is nigh.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM

I'm not sure how I haven't seen the pictures of the finished guitar, but that is incredible in every way, Mau. Your playing is also among my favorite parts of this thread and your others here on this forum: I can only aspire to one day be half the player you are.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we're a ridiculous bunch. And according to the Brits, notorious for not being able to poke fun at ourselves. I guess didn't inherit that quirk. Never quite understood the steak and eggs thing either. Hmm..my deportation is nigh.
I don't get it either -- but my family are all very proud and patriotic despite being first generation immigrants, so I guess there must be good things happening down there...

And don't take me wrong -- I've had steak in the morning and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. If it's ok to have bacon and sausage, I guess it's ok to have steak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson is go View Post
I'm not sure how I haven't seen the pictures of the finished guitar, but that is incredible in every way, Mau. Your playing is also among my favorite parts of this thread and your others here on this forum: I can only aspire to one day be half the player you are.
Thanks so much, Brian. After being a guitar nerd for most of my teenage years, I didn't practice much in my twenties. Now I do my best to catch up and I try to improve every day. As long as the passion is there (and luckily for me, I've been on an uninterrupted streak for several years now), I'll keep playing.

I feel very fortunate for having the opportunity to play this wonderful instrument.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM

Your new Duet sounds wonderful Mau. You are such a gifted player - love your music!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Your new Duet sounds wonderful Mau. You are such a gifted player - love your music!
Thanks for all the great support, Steve.

I came up with a quick recording late last night using the pair of AKGs: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...rovisation-3-2

And for the reverb haters, here's a dry version: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...rovisation-3-3
Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great support, Steve.

I came up with a quick recording late last night using the pair of AKGs: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...rovisation-3-2

And for the reverb haters, here's a dry version: https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...rovisation-3-3
thanks for posting these! Your guitar sounds amazing!

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old6strng View Post
thanks for posting these! Your guitar sounds amazing!
Thanks so much, Mike.

I have recently upgraded my recording equipment and have posted a couple of sound clips in the Show & Tell section.

I am still in the process of learning how to use everything properly -- but in my opinion, the new recordings are a significant improvement over the old ones.

Here is my very first YouTube video using the TLM 103 / AT 3035 / Apogee Duet / Auria signal chain, featuring my own arrangement of Londonderry Air (aka Danny Boy):

http://youtu.be/4EmpE0xHsL0

For those who prefer an uncompressed recording, you can stream/download an alternate take here on SoundCloud (https://soundcloud.com/syndicatedart...-air-danny-boy).

Thank you for listening/watching.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Here's another picture of my SJ.

Same setting as the B&W pictures of the Kraut OM.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop