The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 AM
some guy from NY

Default Carbon vs wood

I know there's been many threads on this topic. And I really don't want to revisit the whole debate.

But it's not even been a year since I got a Rainsong (JM-1000) and I'm still developing what I think and feel about those guitars. So this is just a perspective that comes with changing seasons.

Last summer on the beach and during the winter, I was attached to my Rainsong. Loved it. Still do. The tone has crystaline beauty in its own right without invoking the humidity and temperature advantages. But because of the environmental advantages, I tended to just keep my wooden guitars in my one humidity controlled room and play my Rainsong. But now with humidity fine again, I took my J-45 out on the deck the other night and allowed it to express itself with all that .... wood. Whew! We bonded again after many months.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM

I love my (wooden) Taylor guitars. But, I purchased a CA guitar a couple months back. Sold it after liking it and deciding to buy a new one.

However, I stumbled onto a great used Rainsong WS-1000 which has joined my herd of Taylors. If I could only own one guitar - it would be my Taylor GS6. However, I see the Rainsong as a great addition to the others. It is more durable and has a (loud) unique tone.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
I know there's been many threads on this topic. And I really don't want to revisit the whole debate.

But it's not even been a year since I got a Rainsong (JM-1000) and I'm still developing what I think and feel about those guitars. So this is just a perspective that comes with changing seasons.

Last summer on the beach and during the winter, I was attached to my Rainsong. Loved it. Still do. The tone has crystaline beauty in its own right without invoking the humidity and temperature advantages. But because of the environmental advantages, I tended to just keep my wooden guitars in my one humidity controlled room and play my Rainsong. But now with humidity fine again, I took my J-45 out on the deck the other night and allowed it to express itself with all that .... wood. Whew! We bonded again after many months.
I'm into all-graphite guitar and my RainSong DR1000 is a super addition to my stable of all-wood fillies!

Graphite guitars have a tone all their own and to me it's a pleasant alternative to wood. Although, for some players, it could be an only guitar, I whole-heartily recommend purchasing a graphite guitar only after purchasing a really nice-toned wood guitar. I think players will find the change from playing one to the other is an enjoyable tonal feast. Then there's also the take-anywhere durability a graphite guitar affords it owner!

That being said, let's commence with the inevitable graphite-guitar jokes that are sure to follow, I'll start things off:

1. Does that guitar come with a big eraser?

2. You've got a guitar and a pencil all-in-one!

3. Does the graphite get all over you when you play it?

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber