The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 AM

Default What strings for quiet bass movements ?

I got a new guitar- a cutaway Miguel Rosales acoustic electric- which I find a great guitar at a good bargain
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Rosales-S....c100008.m2219

Thee wound basses are rather squeaky, so I'm wondering what strings may be known as low squeakers?

Last edited by harpon; 07-10-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 AM

Lightly Polished? D'Addario makes a set, a little pricey, R
Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 PM

No, I'm hoping for suggestions of more normally priced strings.

I guess I can conclude that Savarez Christal Corum are pretty good, because I've gotten these on several Cordoba guitars and they didn't seem excessively squeaky, but Savarez makes several kind of wound bass sets too.

The strings on the new Rosales aren't designated and as the guitar- an exact "replica"- in fact I must conclude the same builder as Manuel Rodriguez- the dimensions and look are exactly like my older C-1, except no truss then-

So maybe the strings are Chinese, and came with an extra set, though the bases are very rough winding with no silver coating

Does anyone have real experience to compare the ranges of Savarez with the ranges of D Addario? Or suggest any other? I never considered DAddario excessively squeaky, although I just got a set of EXP because from past experience they definitely wear longer. I have no opinion whether the EXP coating makes them any smoother though- I tend to not change strings frequently.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:34 AM

Polished sets minimise noise but they are expensive and best thought of as icing on the cake - studio strings just to help that extra 5%. John Williams records with them, for example.

Coated strings will help you a little also, but the primary solution for this, for dealing with the quiet bass movements you mention in the subject line, is a technique issue and not a string brand issue. The solution depends on whether you are getting shift squeaks (fretting hand) or plucking hand squeaks, or both.

PS if you are playing plugged in the pickup will accentuate the squeaks.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Another approach, and cheaper, is to develop a technique whereby you lift your fingertips away from the string when changing position.

Jonny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical