The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-22-2018, 10:39 PM

Default A Good Concert / Tenor Ukulele under $500 (Big hands)

Hi I'm looking for a Ukulele with
* Good action
* Stays in Tune
* Relatively wide Nut width (for bigger hands)
* Beautiful Ukulele sound
* Concert or Tenor size body.
* Good value / quality for the money
* High G Tuning .

I'm a beginner but i still want to enjoy learning the instrument rather than get a poor sounding ukulele that constantly get out of tune.
I'm living in Denmark so i might get on from Thonmann

UPDATE: So far These are the best sounding ukuleles I've found for a price range between $300-$500.
Kala KA-ATP-CTG
https://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-ATP-C.../dp/B00EQYM8BU

Another cedar top that Might be over my budget (and is it really better than the KA-ATP-CTG?) is the:
Kala KA-SRT-CTG-CE (it sounds nice too)

Please share your personal recommendations.
Kind regards
Interstellar

Last edited by interstellar; 11-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:08 AM

I bought this one - the exact same one you see in the video (I matched up the binding/grain patterns when we got it) - as an anniversary present for my wife last year:

https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/uk...or-ukulele.htm

Punches way above its weight, and if you play with a group this one won't get lost in the mix...
Old 11-23-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I bought this one - the exact same one you see in the video (I matched up the binding/grain patterns when we got it) - as an anniversary present for my wife last year:

https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/uk...or-ukulele.htm

Punches way above its weight, and if you play with a group this one won't get lost in the mix...
Very charming Tenor Ukulele! I couldn't find it in Europe, but in Amazon.com i was hyperlinked from the Ohana TK-70 to A Kala KA SMHT which is also for big hands and has an amazing sound. I'm keen on this now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A8YyniLA5E
Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 AM

The Cordoba 20TM Tenor Ukulele sounds nice too.

I'm not sure what would be best so far :
A Cordoba 20TM Tenor Ukulele or a
Kala KA SMHT

They both look and sound good. Some complain that the Kala KA SMHT has a bit too sharp of a tone when playing up the fretobard but that a string replacement can fix it slightly ( subjective experience from a few people).I can't try them where i live, so I have to rely on recorded sound. The Cordoba 20TM sure is cheape,
however based on Amazon reviews the tuning pegs are not that good (don't know how valid the source is) https://www.amazon.com/Cordoba-Guita...ews-filter-bar

Last edited by interstellar; 11-23-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 AM

As i'm learning more about the Ukuleles and see why i wnat quality in the price range between $250-$500 I think the best option for me so far is a Cedar Top. This sound is so beautiful and I think i like it more than the SMHT.
Kala KA-ATP-CTG

Another cedar top that Might be over my budget (and is it really better than the KA-ATP-CTG?) is the:

My 2 other options so far are the following (not cedar top but sound pretty good)
Luna Guitars Ukulele High Tide Ova Tenor

Lanikai Bocote Thin Body Tenor Uku

Last edited by interstellar; 11-23-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:09 AM

I have a Kala baritone that I quite like. I have played a few Cordobas and was impressed.

One uke I might recommend is the new Gretsch line. Stateside they run between $100-200. I bought a concert model 2 or 3 years ago and really liked it, but traded it for their soprano. (I have large hands as well, but I never got on with concert and tenor ukuleles as much for some reason though I've owned several of each...I suppose I am a man of extremes, so it's sopranos and baris for me.)

Anyhoo, I did play a half dozen different of the recent Gretsch ukes including a guitalele and a resonator, as well as several examples each of the sopranos (they also have a long neck soprano) before I bought and as I say, I was impressed by them all. Actually, I didn't care much for their reso uke or banjo uke, but they aren't really my bag anyway.

At any rate, they aren't incredibly fine instruments, but they are at least fine. I've been playing stringed instruments 40+ years and ukuleles for almost 20.

I have been very pleased with my Gretsch soprano (model G9100...the concert is G9110, the tenor G9120) which was either $99 or $109 new. I didn't care for the Aquila Nylgut strings that come stock on them (though I like Nylguts on other ukes I've had) but it sounds great with Martins.

I'll also say that I've owned a couple of vintage Gretsch soprano ukes from circa 1940s-1950s and find the newer line superior in every respect.

I would feel bad recommending this uke if you had to order one without playing it first, but if you've a place to try one, you might give them a shot.

Good luck on whatever you choose and I hope you'll report back!

- John Shedd
Old 11-23-2018, 10:11 AM

PS-- after posting the above, I see you are enamored of cedar. Perfectly understandable and a fine choice, but it does leave the Gretsch out.

- John Shedd
Old 11-23-2018, 05:13 PM

One thing you could consider is to buy a baritone uke and then get a set of strings that you can tune it GCEA like a tenor uke. Then you'll have the wider fretboard and still play the common tenor tuning. We've done that with our Baritone and like it a lot; I have bigger hands also.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:50 AM

You have mentioned big hands a number of times. Most every uke, including the Kalas you listed have a 1-3/8" it width, this seems to be the standard. Cordoba has a 1-1/2" nut width so if that is really important to you look at the all solid wood Cordoba ukes. The 30T would be in the upper end of your price range.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 PM

I really love my Cordoba 24T... laminated spalted maple b&s trimmed in paduak, solid cedar top. These things are light as a feather, nice wide fretboard, 1.5" nut, fast playing neck profile, low action right out of the box, they're gorgeous, they sound WONDERFUL, warm, woody and loud...and they are very reasonably priced. Mine, brand new, was well under $200.

It's one of 3 tenors that I picked up this past year, the others being a Pono acacia tenor deluxe and a Kanilea Islander solid mahogany tenor. Of those, the Cordoba is my favorite though it's substantially less expensive than either. All are strung high G

The Pono sounded sweet but quiet and the neck was like a baseball bat in profile, but with a fretboard that was too narrow for me. I kept pushing the strings off to either side of it...and it was top heavy with that truss rod. I couldn't play it comfortably without a strap. I sold it off.

The Islander is nicer, better neck for sure, 1.5" nut and good neck profile though I needed to do quite a bit of setup to get the action where I wanted it. The tuners also suck on the Islander. It sounds great and is a joy to play after I set it up...but it's a bit quiet.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 11-26-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
One thing you could consider is to buy a baritone uke and then get a set of strings that you can tune it GCEA like a tenor uke. Then you'll have the wider fretboard and still play the common tenor tuning. We've done that with our Baritone and like it a lot; I have bigger hands also.
That's a good idea, but he might need different strings to do that tuning. Normal baritone uke strings are for DGBE. They are likely to snap if tuned up to GCEA.

Aquila makes GCEA barry strings -- they are (A) Aquila 23U Nylgut Baritone Ukulele String Set - GCEA - High G Tuning, and (B) Aquila 117U LAVA SERIES Ukulele BARITONE High-G Tuning - GCEA.

Or, he can visit Living Waters Strings in U.K. & have Ken make him a set. Living Waters strings are 5-star superb.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
Hi I'm looking for a Ukulele with
* Good action
* Stays in Tune
* Relatively wide Nut width (for bigger hands)
* Beautiful Ukulele sound
* Concert or Tenor size body.
* Good value / quality for the money
* High G Tuning .

I'm a beginner but i still want to enjoy learning the instrument rather than get a poor sounding ukulele that constantly get out of tune.
I'm living in Denmark so i might get on from Thonmann

UPDATE: So far These are the best sounding ukuleles I've found for a price range between $300-$500.
Kala KA-ATP-CTG

Please share your personal recommendations.
Kind regards
Interstellar

The KALA ATP-CTG tenor with 17" string length is an excellent choice.

But for big hands you should consider the larger KALA ABP-CTG baritone with 20" string length, and set it up to play like a tenor.

I like my ABP baritone a lot and it gets lots of favourable attention at ukulule singalongs, especially playing chord melodies or fingerpicking the fills.

There is a good review by Barry Maz at gotaukulele.com.

The 20" baritone gives you 3 1/8" (80mm) over the first three frets compared to 2 1/2" (65mm) on the 17" tenor and even less on the 15" concert. This is lot more space to accommodate big hands.

I suggest carbon (fluorocarbon) strings instead of nylon strings. They have less lateral give and need less finger chasing. I like all carbon and no wound strings because I chew through and wreck windings in one or two sessions.

Livingwaters.com mail from England. I order a bunch at a time to average down the shipping cost.

If you already play guitar or would like to play guitar in the future you can stay with the DGBE baritone tuning and play guitar chords. (BTW it is a simple to tune a standard gDGBD banjo up to gDGBE and use guitar fingering).

If you want to go with standard ukulele GCEA or gCEA you can get special string sets designed for the baritone length as mentioned by other folks on this thread. As usual, try a few sets to find the one you like.

I'm happy using standard 17" GCEA tenor carbon strings (0.91 0.74 0.66 0.57 mm) on a 20" baritone set up for guest players. This avoids ordering special string sets. I like the slight increase in tension but other players may not agree.

Cheers.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM

These are some very good condersiderations to take into account!
I will probably have to cross the Kala KA-ATP-CTG off my list - even thoguht i really wanted it - for the reason that I have big hands.

So my options are

* To buy a Baretonne ukulele
- KALA ABP-CTG baritone with 3 1/8" (80mm) nut width
* To buy a tenor but a with wider fretboard
- Cordoba witth 1-1/2" nut width Perhaps
- Kanilea Islander solid mahogany tenor or Cordoba (fx The 30T)
* If i get a Barretone then I could consider
- For standard ukulele tuning( GCEA )Get a special set of strings.
- "carbon (fluorocarbon) strings instead of nylon strings. They have less lateral give and need less finger chasing."

I will probably have to spend some more time thinking about this.
I like to learn from youtube but most tutorials are on Standard tuning Ukuleles, and if it's a complication to get
special GCEA or gCEA tuned strings for a Barretone ukulele then I might have to consider the Tenor Cordoba (even thought i like the cedar wood sound more). But i could also consider ordering a big pack of those special strings and have them shipped to Scandinavia. I really appreciate the advice from you guys. It's making me reconsider what to buy.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:21 PM

bellgamin, sorry for the confusion, i did mean getting the specialty set of strings for a baritone but ones you tune to tenor gcea. The set I bought comes from Aquila. works nicely.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:58 PM

Another vote for Córdoba. I have the Model 20 cutaway electric. Solid construction, sweet, balanced sound, and nice action. BTW, their silver foam cases are better than most.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
concert ukulele, high g tuning, tenor ukelele, ukulele