The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default THGCo Sitka/Cocobolo

Hi folks. This is the second of two guitars that I'm currently working on. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've just finished the boxes, and I'd also like to share some pictures of this guitar with you...

Specs:
Mastergrade Sitka over Cocobolo 0000
Flamed-Pyinma bindings, purflings & bevel
Segmented center seem inlay in figured Cocobolo
Honduran Mahogany neck (one piece)
Walnut Burl rosette with Pyinma and black/white pearl
Pyinma-bound soundport
25.5" scale
1.75 nut / 2.25 ss / 13-fret join

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

As always...thank you for taking the time to look at my work,

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-27-2018, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

For those of you who haven’t made the connection...I previously posted under the username of WoodKnot, and am sharing a shop with my mentor, and good friend, Steve Sheriff (Edwinson Guitars).

These two guitars are spec builds. The EIR has already been sold, but this Cocobolo guitar is currently available, and I’m blessed to be following these current builds with three commissioned builds.

If you’re interested in the Cocobolo guitar, or commissioning a custom build, send me a PM...I’d love to talk with you about the possibilities.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Looks beautiful, Joel.

Really dig the segmented back strip and the end graft.

Great stuff!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been closely watching the progress of every guitar Joel's made so far, and these two new builds, once again, are looking like back-to-back home runs. This is NOT the work of a newbie. This is world-class design and craft work. Joel has a rare sensitivity and understanding of the dynamics of design and construction that make acoustic guitars perform exceptionally well. And the fit and finish of his work is impeccable.

Take the bevel trim, for example. Pyinma is a beautiful wood, with a silvery-tan color and gorgeous flame figure. I know a lot of very experienced builders would be very hesitant to make a multi-piece Pyinma trim on a bevel, because even the slightest gaps, or mis-matched grain/figure, would be glaringly obvious. But Joel pulled this off perfectly- both in this one with Pyinma, and the other new build with flamed Koa. And both of them have a unique, and very graceful visual appeal.

Joel describes his approach to details like this as OCD (obsessive/compulsive disorder); and while he is kind of obsessive about doing the cleanest, neatest work possible, I would never call this a "disorder". It's a great asset, especially for a craft as intricate and detail-oriented as guitar making. If Joel has some sort of psychological or behavioral condition that compells him to work this way, I wouldn't call it OCD. It's more like EADC (extreme attention to detail condition).

I'd also like to point out another detail on both of Joel's new builds that is very inspiring to me. He used these beautiful, subtle BLUE veneer line purflings throughout. The photos don't show this very well, but under finish, this aesthetic detail will really sing! It's not a choice I would have made, but now I'm determined to try a similar theme on some future builds.

Awesome work, Joel!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:12 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow - looking very nice, Joel. What a great endorsement from our longtime friend Steve (The Edwinson), too!

JR
Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Looks beautiful, Joel.

Really dig the segmented back strip and the end graft.

Great stuff!
Thank you Nemoman...I appreciate your feedback.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Wow - looking very nice, Joel. What a great endorsement from our longtime friend Steve (The Edwinson), too!

JR
Thanks for stopping in J.R.

It’s a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance. You’ve got a pretty awesome place here, with lots of great folks...including Steve, who has shared many stories about his experiences with you. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this family.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing these under finish and see that blue purfling pop - I can't really see but a hint of it in these pics. I'd love to see these in person but I'm afraid that I'd come home with too many guitars. I noticed that when I visit a luthier's shop that some of their guitars end up living at my house. I can't afford to get to know any more luthiers!
Old 08-29-2018, 04:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing these under finish and see that blue purfling pop - I can't really see but a hint of it in these pics. I'd love to see these in person but I'm afraid that I'd come home with too many guitars. I noticed that when I visit a luthier's shop that some of their guitars end up living at my house. I can't afford to get to know any more luthiers!
Hi Stan,
Thanks for popping in. The blue is very subtle (I refer to it as Ice-Blue), and it enhances the color palette without competing. The first time that I wiped the guitars down with naptha, I was blown away by the way that it all works together. It should show well in the photos after finish.

BTW...you have an open invitation to visit the shop anytime that you’d like to ����������

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 09-04-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default THGCo Sitka/Cocobolo

I mentioned before that Tim McKnight offered insight from his experience with regard to the Hybrid X/Fan bracing pattern that I employ under my soundboards.
Here are some shots of my soundboard bracing:

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

As always...thanks for your interest.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Joel, as with the other build, this one is a beauty! Can you explain what you believe are the advantages of the bracing pattern you use?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Joel, as with the other build, this one is a beauty! Can you explain what you believe are the advantages of the bracing pattern you use?
Mike,

First I'd like to say that there isn't only one correct way to brace a soundboard. Many builders use the traditional Martin style bracing, and have super results from it...and others experiment all of the time with different ways (see Taylor Guitar's new V-bracing, etc.)

Steve has never used the traditional Martin X-brace design...instead choosing to employ this Hybrid X/Fan system from the very beginning of his career in Lutherie. As my teacher, he didn't insist that I follow suit...though, as his student, I decided that it would be advantageous to stand on the shoulders of his experience...so I've chosen to utilize it also.

The theory behind the Hybrid X/fan bracing system is that it architecturally supports the soundboard evenly across the entire area...especially those areas that rise behind, and belly in front of, the bridge, from the string pull...as happens sometimes with traditional X-braced guitars. In no way is this meant to be a shot at traditionally braced guitar, as much as it is a different approach to address an observed issue. The structural results appear to work very well, and the tonal results have been nothing short of wonderful.

Paul Reed Smith chose to implement this bracing system in 2008, quite a few years after Steve began building his guitars using it...(I might add) and he has quite a few videos talking about it, if you're interested to hear about the research that inspired him to choose to implement it...and you can also hear how great his guitars sound.

Hope this helps,

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-31-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Joel. Makes sense. I'll know soon enough about the sonic potential.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Thanks Joel. Makes sense. I'll know soon enough about the sonic potential.
One of the things that I like most about working in the shop with Steve is that I get to hear and play every new guitar, that comes off of his bench, before it's sent off to its new person.
It's amazing how each one has its own personality, but they all sound like an Edwinson.

#luthiersshopprivileges

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-24-2018, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hello again Folks. I've finished the build, and am currently shooting lacquer on this guitar. Prior to pore-filling, I thought that I'd get some pictures of her all put together...

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop