The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Smile Baraniks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
He also used black palm to great effect on the Meridian currently on sale at Dream Guitars. It's Colorado Blue Spruce over African Blackwood, just like yours. I love the blue faux turquoise accents, especially the purfling.

Trust me, it's tempting to spend just as much time looking at my guitars as I do playing them. Thankfully, once I pick them up, I forget how great they look and get lost in how great they play!
Deft, thanks for the nice comments about my Baranik "Black and Blue" CX. That is certainly one special guitar. By a very small margin, it is probably my favorite. Part of it is that I associate that guitar with the first Baranik gathering at Mike's shop, where I picked up the guitar from Mike and had such a great time meeting him and socializing with the other Baranik owners. I made three great friends, Colin, Steve and Phil, at that gathering. Al, who was also there, has the biggest and most amazing collection of Baraniks. Hopefully he will chime in on this thread. Al had Mike build him an exact copy of the "Black and Blue" CX. The only difference is that Al's CX has the spalted Koa binding around the side sound port whereas mine is ebony. Everyone at the gathering was surprised when Al showed his "Black and Blue" CX. Nobody realized that Mike had made two of them. Here are Al and myself holding the two "Black and Blue" CX's:

I also admire my guitars each time I open the case to play them. They are as much visual works of art as they are a delight for the ears.

I completely agree with you about the stunning looks of the Blue Spruce/African Blackwood Meridian that is currently for sale at Dream Guitars. I also really like the faux turquoise accents. If/when I do another Baranik build, I plan to have Mike do something like that for the purfling as well. He did a similar purfling on my Meridian, but he used some of the last of a figured set of Cocobolo he referred to as "Volcano" (that was also used on Phil's black Cocobolo Meridian named "Volcano"). The "Volcano" Meridian was the first black Cocobolo guitar that Mike made.

Here is a photo of the "Volcano" Meridian headstock:

Phil sold the "Volcano" Meridian, and I was very, very tempted to buy it at the time. If the new owner is on AGF, please let us know how you are liking this gorgeous guitar.

Mike has certainly made some great looking guitars! The amazing part is that he keeps getting better.

Cheers,
John
Old 12-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Nice picture!

Like everyone else, I thought your Black and Blue was the only one. Thanks for sharing the story about its twin. It's too bad Al doesn't hang out here much. I'd love for him to share some stories about his guitars. He's probably too busy playing... a Baranik.

I remember "Volcano" quite well. Wasn't that Mike's very first Meridian? Ah, the deadly black cocobolo... He used it on Volcano, then mine, and then racman's, which recently resurfaced in the US and was sold within a couple of months. That makes three. I can't recall if he has ever built with it since, but I don't think so.

Phil, if you're following this thread, I'd be ever so grateful if you could post an update and a photo or two of your Tree Twins. I enjoyed the build thread, and would love to hear how you're getting along with them these days. Or are you too busy rocking the Retreux?
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM
*mahoganut*

DT, read and posted a couple of comments on the Twins thread...!

Meanwhile, it's been fun reading through and reminiscing about the builds on this thread - and I agree with the others - great photos of great guitars and excellent (and entertaining) writing! Thanks...

Col - is an "OOd" the deeper OO? Mike and I decided the rosewood build will be just a tad deeper to allow the bloom.

Volcano (Mike's kids called it "the Lava guitar" because of the bright red flowing-looking cocobolo accents) was the first production Meridian. It went to an AGFr in the bay area - I've not heard from him since.

I've had 7 of Mike's guitars since 2006... CX braz/Italian, Meridians Volcano and 'tree'/cedar, Retreux Amazon RW/blue spruce art deco, OM tree/blue spruce, OO tree/LS redwood, Retreux pumaquiro / adi…. and will add the kingwood / adi in a year or so. So, yeah, call me a fan boy. I've had others I've loved, but I keep coming back to the Baraniks. If anyone's coming through central OK sometime, give me a PM and we'll grab a bite and you can put your hands on some of Mike's best work! (not to detract from the rest of your Baraniks….)

Phil

I'll post just one pic - since several of you commented on the black palm - Mike (and Chris) used black palm for my Retreux's fretboard, but longitudinally rather than cross grain. Totally different look:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0752.jpg (30.6 KB, 193 views)

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 12-13-2018, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
.....Col - is an "OOd" the deeper OO? Mike and I decided the rosewood build will be just a tad deeper to allow the bloom.

....If anyone's coming through central OK sometime, give me a PM and we'll grab a bite and you can put your hands on some of Mike's best work! (not to detract from the rest of your Baraniks….)
Yep, I was totally smitten when I played Al's PXd (deeper body on a PX) last year. With Al's guitar I really felt the deeper body added something nice to the sound. Talked with Mike and he suggested the 00 instead.
And I'm definitely going to get to central OK sometime!

Col
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post

I'll post just one pic - since several of you commented on the black palm - Mike (and Chris) used black palm for my Retreux's fretboard, but longitudinally rather than cross grain. Totally different look:
The fretboard has so much character! How does it feel under the fingers?

The swirls of the rosette look great with the Pumaquiro back and sides on your Parlor, Phil. Mike sure has an eye for color and texture.

And I'll repeat, playing the Retreux Parlor is a real treat. After several weeks focusing on the Meridian, and comparing it to the 00m, I recently spent the entire day on cloud nine with my little gateway Baranik buddy.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Default #08-136 Black and Blue #1

More black palm

Here's some more gratuitous eyewash : soundhole, rosette, bridge and saddle on top of some of the creamiest spruce :

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

And some more black palm and spalted sapwood koa.

I'm of the understanding that this Colorado Blue Spruce/African Blackwood Meridian belongs to Richard Thomas, in the UK. Built after mine, it was perhaps the last time Mike used that koa for binding.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider

Last edited by Deft Tungsman; 01-05-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: new pic links
Old 12-13-2018, 11:21 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
The fretboard has so much character! How does it feel under the fingers?
I can't say that I've noticed anything about the feel. I do know I like the carve on the neck - maybe part of that is the texture of the fretboard.

I love how it looks... it's more subtle than in your face, but it certainly has character.

Phil
Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Nine months after this beauty followed me home, I continue to be amazed at all the things it can do.

It possesses a power and clarity that takes some of the pieces I play to places not even the Claxton can reach.

I still can't understand how Mike Baranik is able to build a guitar with this degree of string-to-string separation that sounds so balanced and smooth when strummed.

In my happy little stable, this Meridian is the sexy muscle car.

1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Simply gorgeous!
Old 08-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Can't wait for mine--I'm in the build queue...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Can't wait for mine--I'm in the build queue...
Got a due date yet? Specs? Or have you already started a thread about your build?

Can you say in which ways you're hoping that your Baranik will round out your amazing collection?

I cannot stress enough how responsive, powerful and clear all three of my Baraniks are. This particular Meridian is smooth and explosive all at once.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider

Last edited by Deft Tungsman; 08-09-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Default My Meridian

Hey Deft--no due date yet, but hoping to get it going within the next couple of months. Mike hasn't had a chance to resaw the billet we're looking at using, and I haven't been in a super hurry, so there hasn't been a big push on my end. I'm getting more and more excited now though, so the calls and emails to Mike have begun to get more frequent!

Have not started a build thread yet. The build will be a Meridian, florentine cutaway with his adjustable neck feature. Hoping for cocobolo back and sides (we'll see once it's sawn up) with colorado blue spruce top. Typical specs as far as the nut width (1-25/32"), scale length, and string spacing.

I got turned onto Mike's guitars at the 2016 SBAIC--as you noted, they are so powerful and responsive. At the 2017 SBAIC, Mike had several Meridians there for me to test drive, and I was once again blown away. I put down a deposit before leaving the show. Your guitar (Juston's) was one of the ones that I played there at SB. I almost let my deposit go and considered pulling the trigger on buying it when Juston had it up for sale. Glad it ended up with you! I also played Marty Paris' Meridian at SB, and it was sublime as well.

At this point, my new Meridian will not replace any of my current guitars. I'm just looking to add another tonal color to the overall palette and have looked forward to having one of Mike's guitars in my collection for several years now.

Sorry to get so long winded and derail the thread. Plenty of pictures and details to follow once we get started!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

No need to apologize. If anyone here is long-winded, 'tis I !

Even though you've opted for the "classic" Meridian configuration (CBS/Cocobolo, Florentine cutaway, adjustable neck), it will be exciting to watch your build come together. It's rare for Mike to produce an instrument that fails to make a fresh visual statement. I never tire of looking at mine, that's for sure! I was lucky to be able to make a deal work out with Juston and smart enough to act fast. It is an exceptional guitar that continues to make me a better player.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 08-10-2019, 08:59 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

My imgu r is on the Fritz but as soon as I can ill.post photos of Atlas Shrugged, my Meridian.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop