The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM

Question Question about DE-ESSER

Hello. I found out that de-esser would be very very useful for live and recording. I looked up on GC website and the cheapest one is 700 and goes up to 1500. Do you know if I can buy a cheap de-esser or can I do something with the compressor? I have a yamaha O1v96v2
Old 09-05-2008, 03:31 PM

For recording, there are several free De-essers. I use Spit Fish, which is a vst plugin (hope you can use that), it works pretty well for what it does. If the sss are real bad you'll notice it will start affecting the sound quality. However, I have found that technique to avoid those ssssssss is the best way. Of course you could get a pop filter, that also helps.

For performing, again, work on the technique, and/or change mic. You didn't mention what mic you use.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Typically, compression will make it worse, although there are some multiband products that can function pretty well. The concept is similiar to compression, except that it's a very tight notch that ducks around a centered frequency when the threshold is crossed.

Spitfish is a great recommendation, but I don't have one for live use. Someone else can probably help w/ that. As mentioned, mic choice makes a difference, as does technique.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM

I have De-esser built in as 1 of the features on a $99 rack-mount compressor I bought new awhile back. Maybe it's junk. I dont know. Havent used it much...
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Spammer

Spammer posting. Mods please remove.

Thanks...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Default TC Electronics M350

I've recently bought a TC Electronic M350, which has two sides to it...
A bunch of quality reverbs: hall, room, ambience...
and
A bunch of effects, including a De-esser, compression, various delays...
Goes for about $199 new, which is a very sweet price. Oh, and for the next month or so they have a $50 rebate going on (download at Musiciansfriend)... so, I guess, they are $149 for now. Really sweet price.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM

A de-esser is basically a band limited compressor. If you have digital compressor (or plug in) where you can limit the compression to a certain frequency range, you have your de-esser.

Set it for 5500-14,500hz, and compress that range down until you get the amount of de-essing you want.
Ibanez Artcore semi hollow body.
Yamaha GC-40A (with a hole in the side)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell