The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 PM

Default Just played a 1962 Gibson hummingbird.

Ok so I have never really seen the allure of vintage guitars. I have tried several and never really been into the vintage twang sound. However this 1962 Gibson hummingbird just melted me to the core. It was loud and lush and rich...it just sounded like butter. I offered my 2016 j-45 a beautifull vintage K Yairi and a whack of cash on the spot. Just have to wait and see if the fella will part with it...I,m hoping.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 PM

I have a late friend who had a Hummingbird back in the 60's when we were kids. I remember it well. Today's Hummingbirds are a shadow of what they used to be.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 AM

I've got a '68 Hummingbird that I bought used in 1972. The sound is wonderful, but the neck is rather skimpy. I'll never sell it.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:17 AM

Some of those 60's 'Birds are phenomenal guitars.
I ran across one a while back and had the opportunity to play it. The sound coming out of that thing was nothing short of heavenly.
I offered the guy my car for it...he just laughed.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-22-2018, 05:32 AM

The Epiphone Frontier was the prototype of the Hummingbird. I would not go as far as saying the Hummingbird is today a shadow of its former self, but the Bozeman versions are certainly a different beast than what rolled out of Kalamazoo. They got the looks but when you look under the hood very different picture. The reason I never cottoned to HBs back in the day was the skimpy neck carve. Baby ain't got no back. I much preferred the 1959 and earlier Gibson roundback D necks.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 AM

You found a fine guitar but for clarification, it’s a stroke of luck, not an indication all ’62 Hummingbirds are its equal. I don’t think that was your point but someone else will.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
the neck is rather skimpy
Quote:
it’s a stroke of luck, not an indication all ’62 Hummingbirds are its equal.
+1 on both comments.

After 55 years of messing with these things, I think finding a great '60s Hummingbird is a bit of a lottery win.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
+1 on both comments.

After 55 years of messing with these things, I think finding a great '60s Hummingbird is a bit of a lottery win.
I have been playing Gibsons the same amount of time and feel that beginning starting around 1950/51 they are not as inconsistent as legend would have it. The days when a part was considered finished when it looked "close enough" and you would have a guitar with say two tone bars, one of which was significantly more peaked than the other next to it, were over. What I do know is the best and worst sounding Gibsons I have played over the decades were both built in the 1940s - the best being a 1942 J-50 and the worst a 1946 script logo LG-2. Again, I do not play 1960s Gibsons (although I do own a 1961 B45-12) because I do not like the sound. It is that skinny butt neck that I object to.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjudoman View Post
Ok so I have never really seen the allure of vintage guitars. I have tried several and never really been into the vintage twang sound. However this 1962 Gibson hummingbird just melted me to the core. It was loud and lush and rich...it just sounded like butter. I offered my 2016 j-45 a beautifull vintage K Yairi and a whack of cash on the spot. Just have to wait and see if the fella will part with it...I,m hoping.
Not to hurt your feelings but those old hummers are special -dont think a sane person would do it -but Ive seen dummer things happen !
I can tell you I wouldnt do it .
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I inherited my dad's '62 Hummingbird. It sounds REALLY good but I almost never play it because of that skinny little neck. Kinda makes me sad that it doesn't get played and if it didn't have such sentimental value I would sell it to someone who would give it more attention, but I can't do that. Looks pretty hanging on the wall though

Some guitars
Old 05-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Texas View Post
I inherited my dad's '62 Hummingbird. It sounds REALLY good but I almost never play it because of that skinny little neck. Kinda makes me sad that it doesn't get played and if it didn't have such sentimental value I would sell it to someone who would give it more attention, but I can't do that. Looks pretty hanging on the wall though
A '62 hummingbird that belonged to your dad?

Call me crazy but I would take it to a top luthier and get a new neck built. Bring a guitar with your perfect neck for him to copy. Keep the original neck.

You can play your dad's guitar, get a neck reset at the same time and enjoy the thing.
various basses and uprights
Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 PM

I tried Three Gibson Hummingbirds at GC and found them all wanting. I then bought a EPI Hummingbird that smoked all three. 4 guitarists were with me so it ain`t just a Me thing!. Gibson does Need to step up!.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

All are not equal. I would say less than a third of the 1960 to 1968 or so are really good. I'm familiar with that vintage because that was my price range when I was shopping old Gibsons after I realized I couldn't justify a 40s or 50s J 45. I played about ten sixties J 45s.

Three of them went woof woof, three were ok nothing special, three were now we're talking I could live with this, and one was my Epiphone Texan that had about 85% of the banner mojo. The bad ones had the adj bridge replaced trying to keep them from the kennel.

But when you get a good one they are special.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 AM

I will say that I think the old Gibsons do have a much different feel and sound from the newer ones.

I'm not much of a vintage guy myself. I've played a few vintage things that have wowed me. But not many. I have played several pre-war Martins and, while they sound phenomenal, I don't understand the price tag that goes with them. I'd take 5-10 Collings/SC/etc over the vintage Martin, personally.

But yeah, the older Gibsons do have some superior sounds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion