The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Default I think I may have graduated to the next pick level

For several years I've been using the thickest pick offered by Snarling Dog Picks. They're orange nylon, 1.14mm, they come in a little tin, and they're the most grippy I've encountered.

But lately I've become disenchanted. So I went and bought an assortment of picks from just about every manufacturer I could find. And after playing with them all I've settled on one that I wouldn't have predicted based on its lack of textured surface.

It's a Dunlop Ultex Standard 1.14mm. They feel similar to a human nail (sort of a matte finish). And their sound is not forward at all... very little "tick" or "click".
Old 05-21-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
For several years I've been using the thickest pick offered by Snarling Dog Picks. They're orange nylon, 1.14mm, they come in a little tin, and they're the most grippy I've encountered.

But lately I've become disenchanted. So I went and bought an assortment of picks from just about every manufacturer I could find. And after playing with them all I've settled on one that I wouldn't have predicted based on its lack of textured surface.

It's a Dunlop Ultex Standard 1.14mm. They feel similar to a human nail (sort of a matte finish). And their sound is not forward at all... very little "tick" or "click".
Not sure I'd call it "graduating to the next level". More like you're preferences changed and you like something different.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

You have good taste. I was talking to someone just yesterday at an event and told him what I've always told everyone: The Dunlop Ultex line is the best line of picks in the industry, hands down, dollars vs performance. Just wonderful stuff. The Ultex teardrop 1.14 mm was my go-to pick for probably a decade.

This post comes with a warning. You are entering a dangerous zone: Searching the perfect pick. A few to consider trying: Dunlop Primetones (also made from Ultem) and Wegens (different material altogether).

Welcome Aboard,
Scott Memmer
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
You have good taste. I was talking to someone just yesterday at an event and told him what I've always told everyone: The Dunlop Ultex line is the best line of picks in the industry, hands down, dollars vs performance. Just wonderful stuff. The Ultex teardrop 1.14 mm was my go-to pick for probably a decade.

This post comes with a warning. You are entering a dangerous zone: Searching the perfect pick. A few to consider trying: Dunlop Primetones (also made from Ultem) and Wegens (different material altogether).

Welcome Aboard,
Scott Memmer
Thank you for the suggestions!

A representative model from the Dunlop Primetones was in the assortment I bought and although briefly in the running was not chosen because of the sharply raised lettering that occasionally grabbed at the string.

I have heard of Wegens and will need to find one at some point. They look very interesting... hyper thick.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions!

A representative model from the Dunlop Primetones was in the assortment I bought and although briefly in the running was not chosen because of the sharply raised lettering that occasionally grabbed at the string.

I have heard of Wegens and will need to find one at some point. They look very interesting... hyper thick.
You know, for my money, I still like the Ultexes more than the Primetones, but that's just me. Some like strawberry, some vanilla, some chocolate.

Hey, by the way, I think I still have some Ultex 1.14s around the shop. Drop me a PM over the holiday weekend with your mailing address and I'll drop them in the mail to you, no charge.

sm
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I use Wegens and Blue Chips mostly - TF140s and TAD50s (1.4 ad 1.25 m/m resp.)
But while i was ill last year I messed around with bevelling and refinishing some other picks and the Tortex and Ultex 1.14 m/m picks worked really quite well, but they really do need to be bevelled and extensively polished to get the best sound.

See:
Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Silly, I believe you have some photos of your beveling adventures, don't you? I'm sure the OP, and others, would love to see those.

Just a thought,

memmer
Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 AM

I've found the ideal method to shape/bevel/burnish picks is to rub them on carpet. Commercial business carpet is the best...
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I've found the ideal method to shape/bevel/burnish picks is to rub them on carpet. Commercial business carpet is the best...
That a great, cost-effective way to go. For a few bucks more, there are some excellent abrasives put out by 3M that really do that job. After years of experimenting, I use only 3M products. Simply the best, and not expensive.

Their Trizact sponge sanding pads go all the way up to 5000 grit and are really the cat's meow.

my two cents,
memmer
Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM

Thanks for this tread! As a primarily finger style player, I haven't paid much attention to the picks I use. Ive been using Gibson Mediums(don't know thickness) , they seem slightly thinner than Fender meds. I started experimenting over the last hour and found I waaaay prefer the.96 Dunlops in my box, and also a couple tortishell like thicker ones of unknown brand. Im going to keep this experiment going, love the round, darker tone of the thicker picks. Might be ready for one of your fancy .9 CLP picks now that Im aware!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 05-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

Welcome Aboard,

Scott Memmer

Just recently I tried a pick that I only used for electric guitar; Dunlop Jazz III JP signature. It’s 1.5mm ultex, and facepalmed on myself for not trying this pick with my acoustic. The guitar sounds more full, and I have more control. I thought that thick picks are for fast single not picking, you know the tweedely weedely stuff. Boy was I wrong!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
FWIW, there seem to be two different types of Primetones. One (which I think you're describing) is reddish-brown in color and translucent, with raised bumps/texture. The other is dark brown, not transparent, and with a smooth, matte finish (the lettering looks like gold-foil and is not raised). I've tried both, loved the latter and disliked the former. I don't know whether the actual material is the same between the two, but they don't really look or feel very similar to me at all. If you google image search Dunlop Primetone picks, you'll see the difference pretty quickly.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:22 PM

great that you found what you like. to me, graduating to the next level would be making your choice of pick depending upon what guitar you are playing and whether or not you are singing.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-21-2018, 01:34 PM

You are certainly on the right track but you haven't won the race yet.

Keep exploring heavier picks. I've stopped at 2mm but I haven't tried a pick that's heavier. I.m so happy with the 2mm I don't have much desire to go thicker but, just like in your case, we both need to keep experimenting with heavier picks.

Some play a 5mm.!! I'm not even half way there. Go figure... It could be good.??

BTW, I play with a Dunlop. The Big Stubby. 2mm. Glass like and beautiful to look at. See through purple.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
Thanks for this tread! As a primarily finger style player, I haven't paid much attention to the picks I use. Ive been using Gibson Mediums(don't know thickness) , they seem slightly thinner than Fender meds. I started experimenting over the last hour and found I waaaay prefer the.96 Dunlops in my box, and also a couple tortishell like thicker ones of unknown brand. Im going to keep this experiment going, love the round, darker tone of the thicker picks. Might be ready for one of your fancy .9 CLP picks now that Im aware!
Wool, thanks for your post. I just saw your signature. Tell ya what. I'll trade you straight across for your '46 LG. The offer is only good till the end of today.

I love these kinds of threads. I'm not here to patch any particular products, including CLP, but I know a lot about the pick marketplace out there, having studied it for many years. If I can help people choose a pick that fits their needs, I love doing it.

And as far as Dunlop goes, they are the clear industry leader. They came in about forty years ago and really started to munch Fender's lunch. Love it. No company is more deserving.

Take Care, Folks,
Scott Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion