The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Default Mediums vs. Lights for new D-35...My Opinion...

Picked up a new "Remiagined" HD-35 just over a week ago. Feels like it's been longer than that, and I've been playing the guitar non-stop every day. The guitar came with mediums, but I've always preferred lights, which is one of the reasons I went with the D-35 over the D-28 because of the lighter bracing.

Later that day I installed a set of EJ16's and was pleased, but over the past week I started to think the guitar was actually too boomy with light gauge strings. The one nice thing about lights is the guitar when strummed with a light pick and light gauge strings almost sounded like a 12-string, with TONS of sparkle and overtones and sounded like it had it's own built-in reverb, but given I've been doing a bit of flat picking lately, the lights were staring to feel a little, well, light.

Put on a set of EJ17's this afternoon. They seem to balance the guitar out a bit better than the lights. Not as many pretty overtones, but by no means dull or thuddy. I am also enjoying the fuller, thicker highs and more even tone overall. We'll see how it works for fingerpicking, but I also have another guitar, a slope-shoulder Gibson AJ, and that guitar sounds better with lights, and is a great fingerpicker.

I'm not sure if the D-35 is that much louder with mediums, but it is fuller and warmer sounding, while the lights seemed to make the guitar sound "prettier" and more complex with more overtones.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I'm not sure if the D-35 is that much louder with mediums, but it is fuller and warmer sounding, while the lights seemed to make the guitar sound "prettier" and more complex with more overtones.
I agree.
My daughter runs JP lights on her D35.
Sounds great, plenty of bass, and easy to play.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:32 PM

That's the beauty of experimenting with strings. You can alter gauge, material, manufacturer, mix-and-match and get the sound and feel you prefer.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
That's the beauty of experimenting with strings. You can alter gauge, material, manufacturer, mix-and-match and get the sound and feel you prefer.
Yep. Glad you found the ones that work for you, Vinnie. I typically play lights on my dreads too...so I experimented with a bunch of them when I first got my D-41. John Pearce, Martin SPs, D’Addario, DRs, Elixirs and others. Then I threw on a set of Santa Cruz Mid Tension. Boom! Found the strings this beauty loves. Play like lights with the volume of mediums while giving that classic Martin dread tone...whether strumming or picking. At least to my ears...which ultimately are the only ones that matter.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 PM

Light pick is the problem!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Have you tried a set of Bluegrass strings? EJ19
Old 05-20-2018, 06:49 PM

I have the Seth Avett d35 and absolutely am in love with the Martin “retro” Tony Rice strings. They are the nickel wound mediums and I bought about 15 packs because I like the tone so much.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Then I threw on a set of Santa Cruz Mid Tension. Boom! Found the strings this beauty loves. Play like lights with the volume of mediums while giving that classic Martin dread tone...
I’ll remember this. Are those mid-tensions a “medium” size?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Light pick is the problem!
No its not. If I'm not flat picking and just strumming I prefer a lighter pick. It sounds amazing. I love how some people things if it's something they don't personally use. Also, so many people go nuts on the slightest little things and will flip guitar after guitar and not even experiment with picks. Picks make such a HUGE change in sound, tone, and how you play the instrument, and are a ridiculously cheap way to get various different sounds from the same guitar.

Strumming with a thicker pick greatly reduces the shimmer and overtones. Yes, it loses a little thickness compared to a heavier pick, but it still is a pleasing sound that can compliment a song depending on the song and what you're going for.

I like a thin pick for strumming now and then, but also am a big fan of regular old Dunlop or Fender celluloid heavy picks, and use a 1.3mm dunlop Primetone for flat picking. I also have a whole slew of picks in a small organizer box that I just cycle through that are of various materials and thicknesses just to get different sounds.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 05-20-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeak99 View Post
I’ll remember this. Are those mid-tensions a “medium” size?
Yep...pretty much. But with the playability of lights. SC recommends Mid Tension for dreads and Low Tension for smaller guitars.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep...pretty much. But with the playability of lights. SC recommends Mid Tension for dreads and Low Tension for smaller guitars.
Hey Roy, Always enjoy your posts. Good to see you're getting along with that glorious D41. I still want to play one and give it a test drive!

Those Santa Cruz strings were warmer on my Collings OM2H. (I tried the light tension on that guitar) Switched back to Elixirs or JP and heard more sparkle and detail. But I have not tried the mid tension nor have I tried any on my Martin Dreads. I think I'll give them a try.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-21-2018, 06:44 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Hey Roy, Always enjoy your posts. Good to see you're getting along with that glorious D41. I still want to play one and give it a test drive!

Those Santa Cruz strings were warmer on my Collings OM2H. (I tried the light tension on that guitar) Switched back to Elixirs or JP and heard more sparkle and detail. But I have not tried the mid tension nor have I tried any on my Martin Dreads. I think I'll give them a try.
Hope the Mid Tensions work out for you, Gary. I sure like them...but this stuff is all very subjective. It’ll be hard to improve on the sound you are already getting out of that Outlaw. Love your playing, man.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Picked up a new "Remiagined" HD-35 just over a week ago. Feels like it's been longer than that, and I've been playing the guitar non-stop every day. The guitar came with mediums, but I've always preferred lights, which is one of the reasons I went with the D-35 over the D-28 because of the lighter bracing.

Later that day I installed a set of EJ16's and was pleased, but over the past week I started to think the guitar was actually too boomy with light gauge strings. The one nice thing about lights is the guitar when strummed with a light pick and light gauge strings almost sounded like a 12-string, with TONS of sparkle and overtones and sounded like it had it's own built-in reverb, but given I've been doing a bit of flat picking lately, the lights were staring to feel a little, well, light.

Put on a set of EJ17's this afternoon. They seem to balance the guitar out a bit better than the lights. Not as many pretty overtones, but by no means dull or thuddy. I am also enjoying the fuller, thicker highs and more even tone overall. We'll see how it works for fingerpicking, but I also have another guitar, a slope-shoulder Gibson AJ, and that guitar sounds better with lights, and is a great fingerpicker.

As an owner of dreadnoughts for many years, I'd have to say dreadnoughts DESERVE medium strings.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
As an owner of dreadnoughts for many years, I'd have to say dreadnoughts DESERVE medium strings.
How so? My D-18 GE sounds lively, responsive, loud, clear, and Martinesque with lights, especially retro and EB aluminum bronze.

Every medium set I've tried makes the guitar muddy, dull, lifeless, etc. I've tried probably ~20 sets of medium gauge strings, from JP to Elixir to Martin in the 2 years I've owned it, and I've never thought the mediums sounded better than lights. Not even close.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 AM

I second the Santa Cruz strings. I won't use anything else at the moment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion