The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default How 'bout a Martin D-45 John Mayer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudd View Post
You aren’t alone in that opinion. I like the guy’s music, but any time I see an interview with him, I end up having to turn it off.

With many, many people...even Chris Martin giving credit to Eric Clapton’s using a Martin 000-28 in the MTV “Unplugged” special years ago for igniting a new popularity for the acoustic guitar, and Martin guitars as well when Martin Guitar Co. was going through it’s roughest time financially, I’m surprised all of the John Mayer signature models are so much higher priced than the Eric Clapton guitars. I don’t see the quality difference to justify the difference in price point, quite frankly.

Does Martin see Mayer as the millennial Eric Clapton?

I’d buy a 000-28EC in a second vs. an OM-28JM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
With many, many people...even Chris Martin giving credit to Eric Clapton’s using a Martin 000-28 in the MTV “Unplugged” special years ago for igniting a new popularity for the acoustic guitar, and Martin guitars as well when Martin Guitar Co. was going through it’s roughest time financially, I’m surprised all of the John Mayer signature models are so much higher priced than the Eric Clapton guitars.

I’d buy a 000-28EC in a second vs. an OM-28JM.
I might have said the same thing of the 000-28EC versus the OM-28Jm, but I've played both side by side and the OM-28JM is sonically just as good in its own way. Both are great guitars IMO.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I might have said the same thing of the 000-28EC versus the OM-28Jm, but I've played both side by side and the OM-28JM is sonically just as good in its own way. Both are great guitars IMO.
I also really like the OMJM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

So, are you saying that there is a justifiable reason for the OM-28JM being so much more?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I love the nicely-grained top on Martin D-45 John Mayer example guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Does Martin see Mayer as the millennial Eric Clapton?
I'm just a little younger than John Mayer and I can't imagine that millennials (which he and I are both not) listen to John Mayer, but what do I know. Just guessing but I would bet his fans are older than he is.

I would be a little worried about the resale value of a guitar with John Mayer's name attached. Eric Clapton at least put out some classic records; I don't know if John Mayer rises to that level.

The only signature Martins I would consider are the Norman Blake and Del McCoury models, because both of those guys are musical giants to me.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasser View Post
I'm just a little younger than John Mayer and I can't imagine that millennials (which he and I are both not) listen to John Mayer, but what do I know. Just guessing but I would bet his fans are older than he is.

I would be a little worried about the resale value of a guitar with John Mayer's name attached. Eric Clapton at least put out some classic records; I don't know if John Mayer rises to that level.

The only signature Martins I would consider are the Norman Blake and Del McCoury models, because both of those guys are musical giants to me.
Both the Del McCoury and Norman Blake happen to be pretty great sig models as well!
'96 Taylor 410
2004 Martin D-18GE
2005 Martin D-28GE
1953 Martin 00-18
2000 Martin 00-18SH
1933 Martin R-18
1955 Martin D-28
1952 Gibson J-45
Old 05-21-2018, 07:07 PM

This is an older thread it seems, but I’m glad someone bumped it. Interesting read.

It never ceases to amaze me how polarizing John Mayer can be. I’ve seen few guitarists have this ability. Joe Bonamassa has a similar notoriety over at TheGearPage.

I like John Mayer, but I’m constantly surprised to see how much his gear commands. I had this old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal that I bought in the 90s. I hated it. It sounded like garbage. It sat in my closet for 15 years or so.

Well, Mayer played one and suddenly this pedal I bought new for $25 on clearance was the hot deal. I sold it for about $225- almost ten times what I paid for it new.

Like him or hate him, he has the ability to move the guitar market like Warren Buffett moves the stock market.

I’m curious to see what these Martins sell for in five years.

The guy can play guitar. And he has lovely tone. But you’re getting up into Olson prices here. And I just cannot imagine picking something like this over an Olson.

With that said, we’ve all got or preferences.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 PM

Afaic John Mayer is one of the best guitarists of my generation. I don't see anything particularly polarizing about him but he does seem to polarize people. In addition to playing brilliantly on both the acoustic and electric, he has written some incredibly well crafted pop songs. While I don't particularly like his music, his talent is undeniable.

The whole signature guitar thing is strange to me. But then again so is most memorabilia. But collector's can't seem to get enough of limited edition stuff.

Frankly I think his playing, tone and writing hit a high water mark with Continuum. Now he plays a funny looking non fender Strat. At least this bejeweled D45 has Martin on the headstock. Will it become iconic like the black one, I don't think so but I'm sure there are enough well heeled JM fans to snap up the 45 which makes me wonder why Martin didn't do a larger run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
This is an older thread it seems, but I’m glad someone bumped it. Interesting read.

It never ceases to amaze me how polarizing John Mayer can be. I’ve seen few guitarists have this ability. Joe Bonamassa has a similar notoriety over at TheGearPage.

I like John Mayer, but I’m constantly surprised to see how much his gear commands. I had this old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal that I bought in the 90s. I hated it. It sounded like garbage. It sat in my closet for 15 years or so.

Well, Mayer played one and suddenly this pedal I bought new for $25 on clearance was the hot deal. I sold it for about $225- almost ten times what I paid for it new.

Like him or hate him, he has the ability to move the guitar market like Warren Buffett moves the stock market.

I’m curious to see what these Martins sell for in five years.

The guy can play guitar. And he has lovely tone. But you’re getting up into Olson prices here. And I just cannot imagine picking something like this over an Olson.

With that said, we’ve all got or preferences.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
So, are you saying that there is a justifiable reason for the OM-28JM being so much more?
In a which language would you like the answer?
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Chacun à son goût.
To each his own. (Literally, “there’s no accounting for taste” in Latin.)

It’s that simple.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion