The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Classical guitar suggestions

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into playing classical after many years. I'm very out of touch, but I used to be reasonably good - so I'm not looking for a student guitar. My last classical guitar was a Ramirez 4E; this time around, I'm looking for something with a little more clarity but that still has a lyrical quality. Any suggestions for makers / models I should be looking into?

Thanks very much for any pointers and help.

Last edited by strumbringer; 10-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM

My suggestion is to check the Delcamp forum ...its the heaven of classical guitar.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 PM

Thank you! I will.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM

Time for a little shameless self-promotion. I have magnificent 2010 Robert Garcia Fleta (cedar/EIR) for sale in the AGF classifieds. Not to be disparaging, but it's head and shoulders above any Ramirez 4E and it has a lot of spruce-like sound qualities, along with the nice full cedar attributes. Truly a fantastic instrument. If you're interested, I have some pricing wiggle room.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...47#post3669747
Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Musical minimalist

I'm not sure what price range you are looking for, but I've heard some outstanding recordings of this model....

http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/sh...RODRIGUEZ%20PE

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 PM

hi,
i will look into this matter and as soon as possible provide you answer
Old 10-27-2013, 07:31 PM

Thank you for the ideas - looking into all of them.

Dogsnax - that looks like a lovely guitar. Looks like it sold already? If so, congrats!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 AM

Hey Strum....

I had the Garcia Fleta up for sale on the bay as well - didn't draw much interest, so I took both ads down (bay and the AGF classified). Feel free to let me know if you're interested - still available. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:24 AM

Budget?

There's a very nice Traphagen in the classifieds.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Cervantes have some fine guitars in the 2K range.

What is your budget and locale as someone may have further suggestions.

On the "Fleta" that is for sale.. is it a Fleta in the rue sense of the dovetail neck, extreme neck angle, tubby body, unusual tail block and the proprietary top bracing ? East indian rosewood and cedar ?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
On the "Fleta" that is for sale.. is it a Fleta in the rue sense of the dovetail neck, extreme neck angle, tubby body, unusual tail block and the proprietary top bracing ? East indian rosewood and cedar ?
Hi...I'm the fellow with the Robert Garcia Fleta for sale and it's Cedar/EIR. Regarding your questions about the dovetail neck, extreme neck angle (?), unusual tail block, and proprietary top bracing, I'd have to check with Robert regarding the specifics. He worked in the Kenny Hill shop for a number of years and I believe Hill offered a Fleta model in the Hill\\ Masters Series.

All I know is the guitar is a tad bit larger in the body then my Robert Garcia Hauser and it's extremely easy to play - wonderful neck feel and the action is perfect (for me...smile).
Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Dogsnax>>

yup , I'm curious..

Many folks think they can be difficult to play, but there is nothing like a good Fleta.

Some makers claim they are making a Fleta, but it stops with the body shap.. nothing else with the correct specifications and character of a Fleta.

For those not aware, Fleta has had a lifetime waiting list for decades, many, if not most, going to professionals and the Japanese market.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Dogsnax>>
yup , I'm curious..

Many folks think they can be difficult to play, but there is nothing like a good Fleta.

Some makers claim they are making a Fleta, but it stops with the body shap.. nothing else with the correct specifications and character of a Fleta.

For those not aware, Fleta has had a lifetime waiting list for decades, many, if not most, going to professionals and the Japanese market.

I gave Robert Garcia a call this afternoon and I was lucky to catch him on a break.

Robert said his Fleta model is his interpretation of the original Fleta design, with adjustments he feels make a better playing guitar. He does not use a dovetail neck, preferring a Spanish heel format and he builds with a traditional tail block. The body shape and bracing system are true to the Fleta plantilla, but he did say he makes a few adjustments in the bracing that work for his interpretation. Robert said he regularly compares notes with Richard Brune, who is arguably the foremost expert in the U.S. on many traditional plantilla designs. According Robert, Brune also makes a number of adjustments on his Fleta builds that diverge from the original Fleta format. Researching some previous "Fleta" threads on Delcamp, the general consensus is that Brune and Richard Howell have built some of the most impressive Fleta model guitars in years past.

Interesting stuff! All I know is my Garcia Fleta is an incredible guitar, it's super easy to play, and the big "Fleta" sound warms my heart.

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 10-31-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Check out a Cordoba c5ce,Nice guitar,Spanish heel,Fan Bracing and a very reasonable price no matter what the snobs say. An easy player,Great recording to a board and just Fun to play. I`m enjoying playing/recording mine. Wishing you the Best!!!.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
Check out a Cordoba c5ce,Nice guitar,Spanish heel,Fan Bracing and a very reasonable price no matter what the snobs say. An easy player,Great recording to a board and just Fun to play. I`m enjoying playing/recording mine. Wishing you the Best!!!.
Step up to a C9.. you can find them used from time to time for a song. All solid construction, comfortable action, amazing sound, and a beautiful instrument to boot.

Hey old anglo... my fellow Orlandonian. I was beginning to feel like the only classical guitar enthusiast in this town.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical