The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Picking the luthier who has not yet gone vertical, but is going to, is a real crap shoot; the odds are heavily against success for that gamble. Making a good guitar and/or being a great person is not enough. Picking a luthier who is already on the rise and proven to have what it takes is the surer bet. It is exactly the same in the stock market. If you want to make money (or at least not lose it), buy the best.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Picking the luthier who has not yet gone vertical, but is going to, is a real crap shoot; the odds are heavily against success for that gamble. Making a good guitar and/or being a great person is not enough. Picking a luthier who is already on the rise and proven to have what it takes is the surer bet. It is exactly the same in the stock market. If you want to make money (or at least not lose it), buy the best.
True, that.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Tone Chaser

I submit for your consideration David Taylor out of Rogersville, TN. Because Mr. Bob Taylor and company beat him to the punch by a few decades, the official name for his guitars is DT Guitars. I suppose that, given his guitars are highly acclaimed and carried by Dream Guitars, he is certainly not "unknown." However, the quality of his guitars is extraordinary, he clearly is on his way up, and his prices are still quite reasonable.

To give you an idea as to how much I appreciate my Amazon rosewood / Carpathian spruce DT Brescia, after I purchased it late last August, in short order I decided to sell a Brazilian / Cedar Ryan Mission Grand Concert as well as a Doerr Brazilian / German spruce Legacy Select. (I realize that making such a statement isn't likely to earn me any points with those who love the works of those builders, but I am writing from my heart.) I just kept reaching for the DT Brescia over both of them... Since purchasing David Taylor's amazing instrument, I have also commissioned two guitars with him. He is wonderful to work with, and I can't recommend him highly enough! I'm really looking forward to my builds with him in July and October.

Best of luck as you explore your options. As we are in the midst of a golden era of lutherie, I trust that you will end up with an outstanding guitar.

Cheers!

Jonathan
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Yossi,
If you can't make it to California, there's a builders show near your back door at Woodstock NY in October. Check out their web site at woodstockinvitational.com. They have clips from past years to give you an idea of the quality of the show and exhibitors.
George
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
It is exactly the same in the stock market. If you want to make money (or at least not lose it), buy the best.
This just goes to show that you shouldn't take stock market advice from a guitar builder.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Hello, One and All--Interesting thread. I might mention a few builders whose guitars I own. I've been kind of searching, researching, buying, and holding guitars of who might be called up-and-comers for some time now, not necessarily as investments but because guitars are just so beautiful, intriguing, and rewarding in their own right. How about Lance Kragenbrink out of Michigan. I have two spectacular fingerstyle guitars by him, dynamic and responsive, the whole nine yards. I don't think anybody's mentioned Ken Franklin out of California. His guitars are state of the art, period. How about John Mayes, who posts here now and then? I bought an early Mayes 7 or 8 years ago, which I still have, and John should be starting work soon on my newest commission. It will interesting to compare an older with a newer guitar by the same maker. I can also recommend without hesitation the guitars of John Kinnaird, out of Georgia. And Steve Saville made me a couple of fantastic baritones about three years ago, one of which I have just put down this moment to post here. Definitely lots of choices. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the builders mentioned here so far. It's a great age in which to be buying guitars, and an age which will probably pass before too long as the resources diminish and the prices, as they must, rise considerably.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Hi Yossi, I reread your original post. My first post was to clarify Tim McKnight ain't no beginner. I think I have a great lead for you.
You are in my back yard! And BTW Welcome. I see Steve all the time.
Hey a great opportunity to see builders 1-2 -5-10-20 builds into their craft, do a much closer (6 hour drive) day trip to East Stroudsburg University in East Pennsylvania - June, during the A.S.I.A Symposium ( Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans)
http://asiartisans.org/
You will meet 200+ guitar freaks from first time builders to Chris Martin. Kevin Ryan, Linda Manzer, Grit Laskin....Big names floating around chatting their favorite subject. BUT! Man I met some folks around the curve from my current beginnings in building. One of my favorites for straight forward, really nicely executed guitars was a great guy from NY named Corky Long. 2 Years ago, when I met him I played an impressive #8. I chat with him from time to time. I am pretty sure he is taking commissions. I would bet on Corky leaving a mark. I could name others if you have a specific style you are searching for. You can find him over at OLF.
ASIA is mostly about learning build/repair and aspects like inlay. However there is quite a trade show. Many displays from beginners to the big names. The chats will hook you up with your builder.
While you are there hit the Martin Museum and factory 40 minutes down the road.
If you'd like to swing by some time drop me a note. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Good question and many good replys. There is a guy up north in Vancouver, BC by the name of David Webber who I think makes really great guitars at really affordable prices. He may not be exactly what you are looking for, as he is well established and not really up and coming anymore.

The reason that I bother to mention him is that I've played a few of his guitars that were really, really great and kind of crazy good for the price. I've played a mahogany 00, a walnut and cedar classic size steel string, and a few of his OMs. The 00 was by far my fav and I think it was $2300 though on his website it now says $3000. I can't think of a much better value and he has an excellent track record so many of the other concerns with "new" builders are not really applicable.

http://www.webberguitars.com/index.html

Nate

1958 Martin 00-17
2003 Johnson 12 string
2002 Johnson 12 string
Old 02-10-2011, 11:42 PM

I can vouch for Don Sharp as well, being an owner of one of his guitars. He built me a guitar according to the way I play. The attention to detail on the guitar that I have is clean (especially knowing the guitar building process first hand).

A year and a half ago, I had a chance to play the first guitar he made after taking the Somogyi voicing class and, well, you can hear the results on this recording done of the AGF Handmade Music CD (which you can read about here).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

My advice is taken from every mainstream advisor I've encountered:
a, Buy what you know,
b, Buy the best,
c, Buy and hold unless you have a superior option.

My interpretation:
A, Follow your own educated observations. Other people are unreliable when it comes to your own taste and will generally cause you to lose your way.

B, If given several option in one category, the best quality is the most likely to persevere in the long haul. As Intel to AMD, Honda to Yugo, or Martin to Gibson.

C, Ignore the vagaries of everyday market, it is about fads and feeling, not about true value. Unless there is a change in relative value (a clearly better product) stay with your well considered choice.

Buying on the tip of a friend, or a penny stock, or investing in a start-up that seems like a good idea that has escaped notice is pretty much the fast track to losing everything.

I cannot see any way this doesn't play out the same way with picking winning luthiers. Of course if you're not actually buying a guitar, doesn't much matter.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post

I put my bets on great sounding guitars, and don't even begin to worry about which builder might become "popular".

Follow your heart...follow the quality.
Yep........

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
This just goes to show that you shouldn't take stock market advice from a guitar builder.

Sorry, I just couldn't let this pass. I am a professional investment advisor. Please note that this particular mountain chart stops at 2005. It would look vastly different if it included '08 & '09.

OK, now back to picking an up and coming builder.

Steve
Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Another option is to connect with luthiers - if you're able - to find out who they admire. Sort of finding the player's player. This may not guarantee you the fame/resale forecast but will definitely guide you toward integrity. I did this at the Woodstock show a couple months back and wound up ordering an Osthoff today!

Rob
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop