The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

MadRose! Not a guess.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:45 AM

That would be one heck of a Christmas present! Somehow, I think it won't be coming this year! Who knows, I bet Bruce has a guitar he could overnight to you LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
MadRose! Not a guess.
At least on my screen, it's kind of purple.
Besides camatillo, that color also looks like d. maritima, the "other" madagascar rosewood. In fact, just to stick my neck out again, it looks like a batch that Allied had a few years ago.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Who knows, I bet Bruce has a guitar he could overnight to you LOL
You may be right... perhaps you could act as go-between?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
MadRose! Not a guess.
At least on my screen, it's kind of purple.
Besides camatillo, that color also looks like d. maritima, the "other" madagascar rosewood. In fact, just to stick my neck out again, it looks like a batch that Allied had a few years ago.
Great stuff... this exactly what every build thread needs... a bit of controversy... a "wood stand-off" if you will
Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM

This guitar is now in finish with Bruce applying coats of varnish on a daily basis... minimum 6 coats apparently, but probably more.

I mentioned at the start of this thread that the build seemed to have been progressing extremely quickly... by my reckoning just a little over 2 weeks between starting and going into finish. At some stage I commented on the pace of the build to Bruce and here is what he had to say:

Quote:
I have always been fast according to others. I take 2 to 3 times as long as I did when I was 30, but the work today is vastly superior technically, greater accuracy AND precision. The big difference is that i am building just the one guitar
I can't really imagine the frenetic pace of bygone days...

On to photos taken after the first coat was applied:

Looks pretty nice to me...
Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berf View Post
Great stuff... this exactly what every build thread needs... a bit of controversy... a "wood stand-off" if you will
Hardly a stand-off; one of us knows, the other is guessing.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

While I am the one who is not guessing, I am only taking the word of the supplier. That was indeed Allied perhaps 5 years ago. The stuff is definitely what I have become accustomed to calling MadRose judging by smell, texture, and general workability. Probably not the same stuff as the 4 piece back sets that came from LMI some years before that. This 5 year old material is pretty though, and glues well, rings like a bell, and is one of my favorite bridge materials. If I use it for the bridge on this guitar the headplate won't look quite so lonely.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Back after the Christmas/New Year break and there's been a fair bit of progress on the FT-00-JB-WRX. Bruce has finished the guitar and buffed it (a fair bit of work involved in this)... the photos he sent through of the headstock and heel cap look wonderful:

Old 01-05-2011, 03:24 PM

And today, Bruce attached the neck to the body... here's what he had to say about the clamping process:

"There are those who believe a neck should go on with 2 clamps, and while it can be done, I really like the results I am getting with 4x as many!"

Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM

That's quite a balancing act ...Bruce....
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM

As always, a fascinating insight into the methods of a master builder.

I am particularly impressed by the care taken to ensure an even glue flow by making certain that the back strip glue-up is absolutely level ...

Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 AM

Things are motoring along at the moment. The fretboard inlays are in (small dots) and the multiscale frets have been installed... I'm really looking forward to giving this a whirl and seeing whether it has some added ergonomic benefits in addition to the tonal benefits which Bruce has explained elsewhere... coupled with the wedged body, I'm thinking this guitar is going to be really comfortable to play.

Last edited by Berf; 01-06-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Rounding the home bend now... blink and you'll miss it.

Bridge is shaped and glued up... Bruce decided on Madagascar Rosewood to "to offset the head partly, but mostly because it's lighter and this guitar will benefit from that, I imagine". I like it:

Saddle slot is cut too...

Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM

I received the following email from Bruce this morning...

"I am about to cut the saddle slot, then do the fret work, then install the tuners, then make the nut and saddle, then strings. that'd be 3 to 4 hours if nothing gets in my way."

Pretty exciting stuff... I'll post pictures of the finished guitar when they come through.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Well after a few more hours of hard work, the guitar is complete. A big "thankyou" to you Bruce, it's been a great joy following the build through your regular emails and photos. Now, all's that left is to install a Schertler BlueStick pickup, make final adjustments and get the shipping box out... it will be here soon...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop