The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Old Harmony - Worth fixing?

I know this is perhaps a subjective question; I found an old Harmony H1009TL, 12-fret 000 size acoustic on the farm here in Saskatchewan with a caved in/seriously collapsed top, but all there, no issues with the sides, a smidgen of separation in the body,on the lower back side. Were these models, pre WW2/Depression - Era good guitars, in other words, are they worth salvaging? Are they sought out as collectible instruments? I'd love to bring her back to life, to pass down as a family heirloom (was my wife's grandfather's).

Thanks!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
caved in/seriously collapsed top
Not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean the top is sunken in due to the guitar being dried out over the years, or do you mean the top is damaged in some other way?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM

I still own a late 1930s Harmony-made Supertone. While certain older Harmony guitars such as the Figure 8 body H-162 and round bottom H-922 12strings, Smecks, and the "airplane bridge" guitars are collectible, the all-birch Harmony concerts, even pre-War instruments in nice condition, are not collectible. Asking prices reflect that. About the only Harmony guitars I can think of that bring over $2K are not all that old - the Buck Owens guitars.

You could try humidification to try and raise the top by sticking a wet sponge inside with something to hold it and then sealing the soundhole and giving it a few weeks. But Harmony tops are not known for collapsing so it is possible the bracing has failed or the guitar has been subjected to some rather harsh conditions. And then, even if you took care of that, you are more than likely looking at a neck reset.

I would just ask around and see what the price tag for putting the guitar in at least playing condition would be. Because of the history of your guitar, going underwater on it may not be as much of a factor. You might talk with Steve at Vintage Parlor Guitars. He really knows his way around these guitars and can bring them back from the dead without emptying your wallet.

Last edited by zombywoof; 05-21-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 AM

Can't really say with certainty without photos.
Ed
Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

It wouldn't be worth it to me, but it's not my grandfather's guitar. What does your wife think? How much are you willing to spend?

Give this guy a call;

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com/index.html

He knows more about those old Harmony's than anyone else I know!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 PM

Doubt it’s valuable but one thing to consider is that if the top is not useable go buy a tortified spruce top and hav it put on and the whole guitar refinished. I’d bet it would sound pretty dang good after that and literally b a one of a kind
Old 05-21-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean the top is sunken in due to the guitar being dried out over the years, or do you mean the top is damaged in some other way?
Cracked/caved in due to hanging on a wall for decades, strings not loosened. Top bracing has also collapsed.

After driving from rural Saskatchewan to Alberta all day, today... and reading these posts... She may stay a wall hanger. I'll save my loonies and twoonies for an H165. Always wanted one!

Thanks, one and all.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
Doubt it’s valuable but one thing to consider is that if the top is not useable go buy a tortified spruce top and hav it put on and the whole guitar refinished. I’d bet it would sound pretty dang good after that and literally b a one of a kind
Funny you added this, as I thought of similar scenarios, on the long drive from Sask to Alberta, this afternoon, family in tow. We did get an Depression-Era Harmony Mandolin that I just put back in service - needs a little moisture, and new strings, but my 10 year old violin playing daughter is already strumming out chords and tunes! It'll be her mandolin to learn on; she wants to play like Molly Tuttle! So do I. My daughter has more time, and more God-given talent, long term!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion