The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
What an absolute beauty, Joe! I PM-ed you about it a while ago. Still interested if you're thinking about letting her go
Thanks...

I don't want/need to sell it but if anyone seriously wants it they know what to do. I would not let this guitar go for less than thrice the price I paid for it -- so I guess that officially takes it off the market.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

This has been a great thread. Great music, beautiful guitar, bonus chuckles along the way.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Thanks...

I don't want/need to sell it but if anyone seriously wants it they know what to do. I would not let this guitar go for less than thrice the price I paid for it -- so I guess that officially takes it off the market.
Play her in good health, Joe. She's nice.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Play her in good health, Joe. She's nice.
Thanks...

I've emailed Dave's Guitar Shop to find out whether Gibson will custom build any more L-5s. A few years ago, the price was very good. I will report back as soon as Dave hears back from Gibson.

I would love a natural L-5 myself.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM

I just heard back from Dave's Guitars and they can still custom order the L-5. Delivery time is 6-9 months and the price has gone up indeed.

I'm not selling my L-5 but you can get in touch with Dave's (or your favourite Gibson dealer) if you ever want one.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 AM

Hi Joe,

Would you mind PMing me with the price that Dave's Guitar quoted you for a new build? My curiosity has gotten the best of me!

For anyone else looking for one, Sam Ash has a used one listed on their website. It's located in Las Vegas. Go to their standard website and search used instruments for "L5".

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM

The used L-5 at Sam Ash looks great (fine looking set of maple) -- at least from afar. It's priced much lower than a new one but there's no close up photo or description of the guitar's condition. That set of maple is certainly a winner though.

As a custom order, there is not much of a discount on the list price -- and so the L-5 1934 RI would cost a bit less than a new L-5 CES. You could probably buy a nice and tasteful Les Paul Futura with the difference.

Now, where it gets tricky is to ensure that one doesn't spend all of this money to end up with a dud. Looking at Gibson archtops, I typically would reject two thirds of the high end "customs" that they build because the maple is either non bookmatched or shows a disappointing figure.

I'd have to chat with Dave to see whether there's an option for premium maple -- especially if I decide to go with a natural finish this time around.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:08 PM

Default :)

Sounded and looked great. I play an archtop for fingerstyle all the time. What mic were you using?

Best
Bryan
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM

This one looks pretty custom to me: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...dar-top/h65659 .
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryaharrell View Post
Sounded and looked great. I play an archtop for fingerstyle all the time. What mic were you using?

Best
Bryan
Hey Bryan,

We only see one mic in the video (the second one is just out of frame) but I actually use two LDC mics for most of my guitar recordings -- one on the right (semi pointed to the bridge) and one on the left (semi pointed to the 12th fret).

If I were to use one mic only I'd generally tend to have it on my right (near the bridge).
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
This one looks pretty custom to me: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...dar-top/h65659 .
Beautiful! It would be such a nice complement to my more "traditional" L-5. The cedar top looks amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops