The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-27-2013, 06:14 AM

Default Thoughts on the Takemine classical guitars?

I'm looking for a decent classical I can plug in and play with a band (for Latin, jazz, the concessional Sting tune, etc.)

Anyone have experience with the higher end Takamine classical guitars?

Takamine Classical Guitars

Looking for something that plays/sounds good and has great intonation - but cost less than $2,000.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I've owned several 132 models, the TH-90, TH-5C and TH-135SC. They are all very nice instruments for the price range. My personal favorite was the TH-5C and least favorite was the TC135 (too much tone give up when unamplified due to crossover design).

YouTube Site
Old 12-27-2013, 07:44 AM

I had one for awhile (5 yrs) but I can't remember which model but it had a cutaway and the fancy electronics. It sounded good acoustic but the low E string would not project at all when plugged in..heartbreaking cuz everything else was perfect on that guitar.

Next time I'm in the market I have to try one hands on!

I remember once I took my Takamine to a guitar store to compare it. They had a Breedlove classical that killed mine. Didnt have the $ or the chance to plug it in. But that sound still haunts me to try another when the funds come around.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 AM

I don't know about the new ones but back in the 1970's I had a teacher in college that had a Takamine with friction peg tuners on it and man that guitar was awesome! I say this to confirm that they have made some excellent classical guitars, probably the new ones are worth checking out. Also check out Yairi.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

I still have a CD132sc that I bought YEARS ago...and it still sounds decent unplugged, plugged in, or recorded. My 2 complaints:
1. I wasn't trained as a classical guitarist, so the flatter neck bothers me...a lot.
2. That particular preamp uses AA batteries...more inconvenient when most of my gear uses 9v batteries.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I took a hard look at an H5 that was on sale for around $1300. I visited it and played it several times. It sounded nice and played easily enough but was physically the heaviest classical guitar I've ever encountered. They are usually light as a feather but this thing was a brick. In the end I bought an Alhambra 7P.

Dave
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
It sounded nice and played easily enough but was physically the heaviest classical guitar I've ever encountered.
This has been my experience also - very heavy, over-built classical guitars. I much prefer a lighter, more resonant guitar. Just my humble opinion.

For $2K, you can buy a VERY nice used classical guitar, e.g., Kenny Hill crossover, GV Rubio Estudio, Cervantes, Cordoba Fusion. For decades I played steel-string acoustic and electric guitars and I have never had any problem with the traditional guitar neck width. I started with the "cross-over" guitars and quickly learned they are often a compromise and hard to sell in the re-sale market. Buck-up and go for a great used guitar with a traditional design - you'll be glad in the long run.

Fred

Last edited by Dogsnax; 12-27-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 PM

Cool

I had, played and LOVED the Tak TC 135 SC.
For amping up, hard to beat it.
The neck size is an issue for some.
Try it...you'll like it...as well as PLAY as many models as you can find.
LOTS of good USED deals out there, so if you are a man with $$$, you are in drivers seat...shop around and ENJOY the journey of finding a new git.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 PM

TakAmine 132SC the default guitar oif gigging professionals.

I am not a professional.. I own one, my grandson owns one.

There is a reason they are still in production after 30 plus years.

I also own a Cervantes (Pina) cutaway cypress/spruce flamenco.. non electric full width (52mm) nut. Outstanding.

Last edited by bohemian; 12-27-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 PM

My good friend once gave me a piece of advice about takamine guitars passed down to him from an aunt who played classical guitar professionally for 25+ years.....
"Dont buy a takamine"

In all seriousness, they do put out some nice guitars. In my experience, however, I have found a little too much variability in their products. Some sound great and others are duds. Make sure to play it before you purchase it.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM

I have yet to play a sub-$2000 classical that I preferred over my Hirade H5. I plan to purchase a new guitar within the next couple years, but, after trying many in that price range, will be looking to spend $4000 or more for a better, concert quality guitar. I am not suggesting that the Hirade is appropriate for the OP's needs or is the best classical in the $2000 range. But my experience tells me that Takamine knows how to build very good classical guitars.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 PM

While Hirade is Takamine,, it is made in a smaller facility within the Takamine factory,,, Kind of like a smaller shop within a larger factory,
Does it mean anything in terms of quality,,, i dont know really,

Rick
Old 01-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajoo View Post
My good friend once gave me a piece of advice about takamine guitars passed down to him from an aunt who played classical guitar professionally for 25+ years.....
"Dont buy a takamine"

In all seriousness, they do put out some nice guitars. In my experience, however, I have found a little too much variability in their products. Some sound great and others are duds. Make sure to play it before you purchase it.
That's been my experience too. One of the stores I did repairs for sold Takemine and some were good some were not. Personally I would never recommend anyone ever to buy an acoustic instrument without test driving it unless maybe it's a low budget student guitar or camp fire beater. And even then it's not a good idea. I don't remember what model Tak it was that came in the store but it had a cedar top and oddly was finished on the inside but sounded pretty descent. I would also agree with those who mentioned that they were heavy. I always attributed that to the electronics.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 AM

I have a steel-string TF87PT New Yorker, which I like a lot, but I've had less success with Takamine's classicals/nylon strings. My first was a TC135SC crossover and the second a TH5C. I found both a little disappointing acoustically, and, on top of this, the TH5C was very heavy. My preference is for a lighter instrument. They were both beautifully made instruments, however, but I think they are more for someone who needs/wants to plug in.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM

My first classical was a Takamine from the late '70s. The intonation was off up the neck due to the bridge being slightly out of place so I rarely played it above the open position. Modern Taks don't seem to suffer from that sort of issue. I might reconsider one if I didn't already have a decent classical guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical