The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I've only played one guitar made w/ Honduran rosewood... a Goodall GC w/ a Port Orford cedar top... the guitar was stunning, tonally; the look was something else again, like no other rosewood I'd ever seen... kinda yellowish/greenish with some dark webbing. I would have guessed spalted maple before I guessed rosewood; the tone of that guitar has stayed with me for several months, though, and I've been talking to James about building me one, but with a redwood top.

James said that he thought Honduran rosewood was closest, tonally, to Brazillian, in his opinion; apparently the visual aspect can vary wildly. He showed me a couple sets that were much more like the pictures above of the raw sets... but the one guitar I played had wood that looked nothing like those pictures. Kind of cool, actually - and VERY good sound!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 guitars made with Honduran RW... a Circa 00 and a Hatchard shallow dread. Both guitars have Adi tops and both are spectacular instruments. I have no reservations with the stuff based on these two guitars and the other 5 or 6 HRW guitars I have played / owned over the years. The only rosewood I prefer over HRW is Brazilian, and even then, the differences are rather small.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM

In case anyone doesn't remember a project I done a couple years ago.

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=169429
http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthread.php?t=169788

The HRW guitar won both blind polls. The polls were open for a limited time, then the guitars were identified.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 PM

This is a set of honduran rosewood I bought from Maderas Barber in spain, for some reason they added indian rosewood sides (pic) I didnt notice until I planed the wood to see the colour, they did send me replacement sides, though the color of the sides is somewhat different, bit lighter with some striping but it smells the same, guess I'll have to learn to live with it.

[/URL]
Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 AM

My Stehr with Honduran Rosewood ist such a fabulous guitar that I sometimes cannot believe it. The top is bearclaw sitka, and it makes an unbelievably versatile guitar. It also smells sooo good. The grain has a very beautiful shimmer to it. And for the overall looks, judge yourself. It is obviously not quartered, but I have had it for almost 2 years and had no issues whatsoever. The only issue I have is that its a 1 11/16th nut, but everything else on this guitar is perfect.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 AM

soundclips of that beauty????????????
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 AM

I owned a Huss & Dalton CM custom with Honduran RW back and sides and an Engelmann top. I still have remorse that I sold her as the sound was spectacular.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM

that's a very nice guitar KIII

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop