The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Talking what to do about my bridge?

I have an old Yamaha FG-75 and the strings have sawed into the bridge pretty deep. I was thinking of using wood filler to repair it (I don't really care about looks) but does it really make a difference to the sound? I'm thinking it actually might make it sound worse because my saddle is really low and filling the slots would make the string break angle even less than it already is. What it really needs is a neck reset and bridge replacement but that kind of work is out of the question seeing as I only payed $65 for the guitar. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad223 View Post
I have an old Yamaha FG-75 and the strings have sawed into the bridge pretty deep. I was thinking of using wood filler to repair it (I don't really care about looks) but does it really make a difference to the sound? I'm thinking it actually might make it sound worse because my saddle is really low and filling the slots would make the string break angle even less than it already is. What it really needs is a neck reset and bridge replacement but that kind of work is out of the question seeing as I only payed $65 for the guitar. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure how deep you're talking, but a lot of builders make relief cuts for the strings to sit in. I do and I know my dad did on his guitars as well. So if your bridge didn't have relief cuts when they made it you could just look at it as an naturally occurring upgrade. In my opinion it shouldn't have an effect on the sound though. The energy from the strings is driven through the saddle. If you put your finger on the string going into the pin slots behind the saddle the sound shouldn't change much, if at all. But, it's hard to say unless you can actually look at it. This is all just my opinion, I'm sure one of these older guys can step in and put me in my place, if need be. I'd advise throwing some pictures up though, that always helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad223 View Post
Chad,

Does it play fine? Do you like how it sounds? If so, just leave it and play it. If it ain't broke...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod True View Post
Chad,

Does it play fine? Do you like how it sounds? If so, just leave it and play it. If it ain't broke...
I agree. Plays good, sounds good...is good.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaguitars2 View Post
.................................................. ...... I'd advise throwing some pictures up though, that always helps.
A picture is worth a thousand words..............and it's probably not a problem anyway.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks everyone, the slots are only 1/8". The guitar sounds great as it is, I'm just gonna leave it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop