The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Humidity question

Ok AGF, wondering; Is there a "rule of thumb" ROT regarding a humidity reading in the house compared to humidity inside a guitar case? Example: Its reading 70% humidity in my bedroom where I keep my guitars.....is it fair to say that my guitars, inside there case are exposed to that same reading or is there a ROT that applies here. So, is it feasible that inside a latched case, my guitars are only exposed to 60% humidity?? Just wondering and hope my question makes sense. I guess I will get a hygrometer for my case anyway but thought I would pose the question. Anyway....Play ON!
Old 11-13-2020, 07:49 AM

70% in your bedroom? Where do you live?
That’s pretty muggy. Are you sure your hygrometer is accurate

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-13-2020, 07:55 AM

I've heard that some guitar cases can actually trap humidity inside... I had the same question and ended up getting a small hygrometer for my case and a larger one for the room my guitar case is in. The hygrometer in the case tends to be very stable since I leave a Humidipak inside the case, whereas the room one tends to fluctuate quite a bit.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
Ok AGF, wondering; Is there a "rule of thumb" ROT regarding a humidity reading in the house compared to humidity inside a guitar case? Example: Its reading 70% humidity in my bedroom where I keep my guitars.....is it fair to say that my guitars, inside there case are exposed to that same reading or is there a ROT that applies here. So, is it feasible that inside a latched case, my guitars are only exposed to 60% humidity?? Just wondering and hope my question makes sense. I guess I will get a hygrometer for my case anyway but thought I would pose the question. Anyway....Play ON!
Good question. I think the answer is that it's easier for a dehumidifier pack to work in the closed confines of a case. Either way, why not get an electric dehumidifier for the bedroom? I live in Florida and without one, the RH quickly goes above 60% which is the threshold for mold, mildew and dust mites.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

North Carolina with lots of rain past few days and 70 degree temps. Wont last!! Most of the time w/o any conditioning, RH is aprox 50-55ish. Thanks for your reply....dust mites...ugh!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 AM

I too have been having humidity issues. I live in a very old brick building in Charleston, SC where the average humidity is upwards of 80%. I can keep my house at around 60% but the bricks and stones hold so much moisture that it is near impossible.

I've been thinking of getting a few wall mount display cases and sealing them off to try and regulate humidity levels.

Subtropic climates stink.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:59 AM

If you do no (de)humidification in the case, the RH inside the case will eventually stabilize at the RH of the room. There is nothing magic about a case by itself that will make its interior RH be different than the surrounding environment.

However, any change will happen more slowly inside a closed case since moisture will not migrate in/out as quickly. How much any swing is tempered by the case will depend on how tight the case is, its material, and how fast the room RH goes up and down. Obviously opening the case will make the RH match more quickly.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:02 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
If you do no (de)humidification in the case, the RH inside the case will eventually stabilize at the RH of the room. There is nothing magic about a case by itself that will make its interior RH be different than the surrounding environment.

However, any change will happen more slowly inside a closed case since moisture will not migrate in/out as quickly. How much any swing is tempered by the case will depend on how tight the case is, its material, and how fast the room RH goes up and down. Obviously opening the case will make the RH match more quickly.
This. ^^^^^
Old 11-13-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
This. ^^^^^
Exactly what I was lookin for....I am down to 60% so guess its OK...My cases are where they live wilst not being played....play on!!
Old 11-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

The “rule of thumb” ROT is to keep a hygrometer in your cases so you don’t have to guess...

Old 11-13-2020, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I got a few Sensorpush bluetooth hygrometer / thermometers, which are pretty small, maybe an 1.5" square?

They keep a history too so you can see what the fluctuations over time look like.

Pretty useful and also fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion