The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Two Bose sticks together....

Hey guys.

I am playing a gig this coming Friday night with me (guitar and vocals), my gigging partner (guitar and vocals), and a third person (just vocals).

Normally when I play with just my partner, we use his Bose L1 with Bass woofer, and his Tonematch 1.

This place is bigger... and the room is really large.

One more bit of background: I have a Bose L1 Compact with a Tonematch 1 as well. I have set up scenes which I love (for my D18 w/ K&K, my J50, my AJ with Trance Amulet, and Takamine w/ Cooltube). I Love having control over my own mix too.

What's the best way to use both our units?

Scenario 1:

I was thinking my buddy Mike, his guitar, his vocal mic, and the third singer's vocal mic, going into his Tonematch into his Bose L1. Then my Guitar and my vocal mic going through my Tonematch... and then out from there into his Tonematch, with the grand mix managed there? Finally we could some how auxiliary out of his Bose L1 into my L1 Compact which we position away a little bit?

Scenario 2:

My buddy Mike, his guitar, his vocal mic, and the third singer's vocal mic, going into his Tonematch into his Bose L1.

My vocals and guitar going into my Tonematch and Bose L1C.

The units near each other behind us a bit.

Scenario 3:

edumacate me? What would you do?

Thanks for reading this complex question, and possibly offering me advice.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Well, I've actually done both scenarios 1 and 2... they both worked great (although I didn't run any sort of second Bose off the main L1. Also did my Tonematch into his, then into his L1S, which sounded very good, too.

The biggest surprise was when I ran my L1 Model II, with my guitars and vocal, and he ran his L1S with his guitars and vocal... the sound of the two units together was somehow MUCH more pleasing to my ears than using one unit with two mixers was...

I was a bit concerned about any "phase cancellation" or some such, because of using the two units together, but my fears were blown away by the glorious sound from the two. It seemed as though each unit had more headroom, was having to "work" less, to produce the volume level we wanted. At the same time, each source signal was clearer and more distinctly heard in the mix when compared to running everything through one L1 unit. (I think my master volume was a good two clicks lower when we used the two units independently)

Remember, those Bose L1's have remarkable dispersion, so it's not necessary to place them close to each other. I'd suggest having them behind you both so you can hear the mix the audience is hearing... don't worry about having the mix out front be balanced; so long as you are balanced with the other players on stage, you can be sure that the audience will be hearing everything!

Another bonus was absolutely NO issues with any sort of feedback or "tweaky" lower frequencies... when running everything together, I had to jack things around from my normal settings to get everything "playing well" together.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Set up in the middle of the place, put them back to back, and enjoy 360 glorious degrees of coverage with an even volume from the middle of the room to each and every corner that doesn't feed back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification