The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 AM

Thanks Perchman.
I made a mistake before - I was referring to the MG06X and MG010X - both have effects. 10X has usb which while not as good as stand alone Audio Interface it would probably be fun for me to record to laptop on occasion. Over in Australia though the difference is $90 - not insurmountable but buys the new mic. Perhaps the usb and extra channels is worth it.
Cheers.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
Thread resurrection!
I never got round to buying a mixer but am thinking about it again.
All I really want is to plug 2 microphones (xlr) into it to send to my amp - roland AC33 so I can play with 2 singers. The Yamaha MGO6X would do, but after looking, the xlr inputs say 1/L and 2/R. Also the xlr outs say L or R. I can send one xlr to the amp and would prefer this as then the guitar - directly plugged into the amp - and mics would have the same reverb. If I plug 2 mics into the mixer and only the left xlr out to the amp would I only have the left mic going to the amp? The mixer does not have any pan knobs to direct both inputs to one channel.
If I use the MGO6 with 2 mics (L&R) would L only go to L output and R to R output? Or would both L&R inputs go to the L output?
The MGO10x has pan so I think this would work but is really more than I need.
Any other recommendations are welcome but Yamaha seems to get the best reviews in this price range (low).
Cheers all!
If you run it in mono, both should go to the amp if you just use the left XLR. Will try mine later today and confirm.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
If you run it in mono, both should go to the amp if you just use the left XLR. Will try mine later today and confirm.
Confirmed! If you set the switch to MONO, both XLR inputs come out equally from the left XLR out.

In STEREO mode, there is a signal from the Right (ch2) XLR input through the left XLR output, but it is very weak.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:49 PM

Thanks YamahaGuy - didn't see the stereo/mono switch on there. I thought there must be a way to do it.
Cheers.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
Thanks YamahaGuy - didn't see the stereo/mono switch on there. I thought there must be a way to do it.
Cheers.
Glad I was able to help. Cheers indeed.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

I owned this mixer and it’s fantastic. Inexpensive. Great reverb. I did not like the chincy power cord... but that’s about it.

I sold it here a few weeks ago because I bought the Bose mixer...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post

After the first of the year I'll be hosting an open mic in a small Tap Room. To begin with, I plan on using my Genz Benz Shenandoah 85 amp. It only has two inputs, I need a few more. This mixer will give me two mic and two instrument inputs and I'll have one input still open on the amp for either an instrument or mic.
You want to run an open mic using a mixer with only two XLR channels?

If you have folks plugging into the 1/4" inputs, they'll probably need a decent pre or at least a boost pedal. There's no preamp (gain) or pad on those channels. If you don't have a strong enough signal, you might be out of luck.

The lack of EQ is even more of a concern. I want at least mid sweeps on a board, and this one appears to have no mid control at all. Perhaps a bigger Yamaha offering might be a better option, although I'm not familiar with all they have to offer.

Yamaha makes great stuff, but this board would not be my first choice to run an open mic with. You don't need 32 channels, but at least 6 XLR inputs would be nice. That will cover a trio if all of them sing and play, ...and believe me that (and more) happens at an open mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post

I chose this mixer because I wanted a small compact mixer, I already own an A&H Zed 10fx and 60-14fx, both are larger than what I want to use.
I get that you don't want to haul a bunch of stuff, but I own both of those mixers and I'd bring the 60-14FX in a heartbeat. That's the one with 8 XLR's right?

Pros:
Better pres.
More channels.
More EQ
You already own it.

Cons:
It's bigger than the Yamaha in the OP

Using what you already own is free, and you won't be taking a few big steps backwards in features. I'd be surprised if you'll ever need more than 8 XLR's at an acoustic open mic, but if that board is too big, the Zed 10FX is much smaller.

I have a Zed 10FX in my solo/duo rig, and add the 60-14FX for trio and quartet stuff. I have a QSC Touchmix 16 for bigger stuff, and if I need more channels, I hire a sound guy.

In my opinion, that Yamaha board doesn't have enough EQ or inputs to run an open mic even with the channels on your amp.

Here is my top board with the addition of the Zed60-14FX. I don’t need to rewire anything. I just bring the bigger board and put it on the sliding shelf for the trio

https://imgur.com/gallery/o6eilQj

Here’s the solo setup.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ObbqF3w

I know that it looks like a lot, but it sets up in about 7 minutes. Theres a cable snake (4 connections) up from the board on the floor to the mixer and drum machine. All 4 connections on the floor stay connected at all times. I just need to connect it to the mixer and Akai XR20

Power comes down from the board on the shelf and plugs into one of the 8 courtesy plugs on the floor board, and the floor board plugs into the wall. Mixer out to a speaker, and mic cable up the mic stand. It's very efficient.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-13-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I owned this mixer and it’s fantastic. Inexpensive. Great reverb. I did not like the chincy power cord... but that’s about it.
Is it that weird proprietary Yamaha one? Someone gave me an older version MG series board with 4 XLR channels for free once. He had lost the power cord. It was going to be a GRIP to buy another which made it not worth it to even bother.

Another friend had the same mixer and I gave her the free one as a backup since she already had a working power cord.

If it doesn't use an IEC cord, I don't want it. I have a few IEC spares in my truck at all times.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:46 AM

I gigged with a MG06X for 4 years but recently upgraded to the 10 channel version. The MG06X uses a standard 12 volt positive tip 5.5/2.5mm OD/ID adapter that is plentiful and ubiquitous in home networking gear (wireless routers, etc.) and CCTV. You can carry a spare if it bothers you and they are very cheap on Amazon or eBay.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The MG06X uses a standard 12 volt positive tip 5.5/2.5mm OD/ID adapter that is plentiful and ubiquitous in home networking gear (wireless routers, etc.) and CCTV. You can carry a spare if it bothers you and they are very cheap on Amazon or eBay.
I couldn't find one about 8 years back and Yamaha quoted me a pretty high price for one when I called. I'd still rather an IEC cable. Have them in various lengths all over the place.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I couldn't find one about 8 years back and Yamaha quoted me a pretty high price for one when I called. I'd still rather an IEC cable. Have them in various lengths all over the place.
Here's the first one that came up on Amazon, I'm sure you can find one cheaper...

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Power-Su...r+supply&psc=1
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-13-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
You want to run an open mic using a mixer with only two XLR channels?

If you have folks plugging into the 1/4" inputs, they'll probably need a decent pre or at least a boost pedal. There's no preamp (gain) or pad on those channels. If you don't have a strong enough signal, you might be out of luck.

The lack of EQ is even more of a concern. I want at least mid sweeps on a board, and this one appears to have no mid control at all. Perhaps a bigger Yamaha offering might be a better option, although I'm not familiar with all they have to offer.
I agree witht his. I have a MG06X that I sometimes use for solo gigs but I also run an acoustic open stage with a MG10XU and there are times I wish I had more channels. The EQ on the MG06X is limited (two of the channels have no eq.)
Old 10-14-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Here's the first one that came up on Amazon, I'm sure you can find one cheaper...

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Power-Su...r+supply&psc=1
The one that came with the mixer that I got for free was much different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification