The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I'm going with the CEO-7. In a perfect world I'd prefer it have the burst and headstock of the 00-DB, but the 7 is still a beautiful guitar in its own right.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by speclk19 View Post
Thanks again for the replies everyone. I'm going with the CEO-7. In a perfect world I'd prefer it have the burst and headstock of the 00-DB, but the 7 is still a beautiful guitar in its own right.

Now....get a nice l'il 0-15 and the quest is accomplished
Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Now....get a nice l'il 0-15 and the quest is accomplished
Haha, I wish. I just paid off the holiday credit card bill. The CEO-7 will be the last "gift" to myself for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Not as much as you might think. Both 00 slope shoulder guitars. Both Adirondack tops over Mahogany back and sides. As long as we're talking CEO-7 and L-02? I think the Tweedy might be an all mahogany guitar?
The OP said the Tweedy so that would be the all mahogany. That's why I don't think it's a fair comparison.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I agree. Haven't played the Tweedy but have had am OM-15 and it's a big difference between that guitar and the CEO-7 in my opinion?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up

My new lefty CEO-7!!! Thanks again for the recommendations everyone. The guitar is super light and has a nice full sound for such a small body. Really looking forward to playing it everyday.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Jeff Tweedy

A local GC has a Jeff Tweedy. Maybe it was the strings, but I was underwhelmed.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speclk19 View Post
My new lefty CEO-7!!! Thanks again for the recommendations everyone. The guitar is super light and has a nice full sound for such a small body. Really looking forward to playing it everyday.

Welcome to the club! And a lefty
Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Welcome to the club! And a lefty
Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Such a great (and beautiful) guitar... I played both, a lot, and in the end went with the Tweedy because I really wanted that particular 'woodiness' in my palette. But if I had my druthers I'd have both. The sparkle 'n' snap of that spruce top is a joy (but I have a vintage LG-2 which has a similar construction and sound). I still might add that CEO-7 at some point (esp. after seeing the CEO-8 ) Congrats on your purchase!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:16 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I've recently had relevant experience with both models that might be of interest.

I ordered and received an 00-DB Tweedy last month. Being a fan of 00s and 000/OMs generally, I was intrigued by its specs and in love with its looks. I couldn't find one to play anywhere, so I ordered one through Guitar Center.

Long story short, it was a beautiful-looking guitar, and sounded very nice, but I found the deep body surprisingly uncomfortable after playing for any extended length of time. I'm a tall, youngish, lanky guy with long arms, but for some reason I don't get along with dreads very well, and the Tweedy felt similarly uncomfortable despite the smaller body and being slightly thinner than a dread. I've never had any issue with an OM/000 or 00, so I guess the lesson for me is that the geometry of a thicker body just doesn't work for me. (The long scale and the modified V neck were fine.)

So I decided to return it and saw that my local GC had just dropped the price again on a 2013 CEO-7 they've had hanging on the wall for months and that I've enjoyed noodling on every time I visit. So I opted for an exchange rather than a return, with several hundred dollars coming back to me. The CEO is really great too, and way better for me personally in terms of playability. I have an 00-18 that I love, but the CEO sounds quite different from it, and feels a bit different too. It's sized right between an 00 and and 000, so it has a little bigger feel to it. It also has a bigger sound when strummed.

All in all, while the Tweedy sounded good and looked incredible, the CEO-7 feels like a nicer guitar to me. I'm a huge Jeff Tweedy fan, and I wish I could have bonded with the 00-DB, but I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I've played both and would take the CEO-7 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

The Tweedy was very disappointing...overbuilt and boxy sounding, IMO.

The CEO-7 was awesome...open, airy, and with plenty of bass. Great neck too (more of a rounded soft-v similar to the necks on the 000-18GE and D-28 Marquis).
I agree with Brendan. CEO-7 for me...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:03 PM

I wouldn’t say I was objectively disappointed with the 00-DB in any way. It just wasn’t comfortable for me personally. It sounded great and didn’t feel overbuilt at all.

I think the main difference between the two is the same as the difference between the 15 series and 18 or 28 series generally. The Tweedy feels like a deluxe 15 series guitar, and the CEO-7 is more in line with an 18 or 28. And since the Tweedy and the CEO are about the same price, you’re probably getting more for your money with the CEO.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Selling my 7 is one of my guitar regrets. Great guitar both in looks and tone. May end up with one again someday.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Unfortunately the Tweedy is a pretty mediocre guitar compared to the CEO-7. I had a tweedy but it sounded like a good 00-15 and not nearly as nice as my 00-15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion