The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM

I think most people grow up with spruce tops and come to get used to that particular sound, and its the sound that they first fall in love with. Then you eventually try cedar and a certain percentage of folks will love it but not everyone. I, for one, have played many a cedar topped guitar (many by Olson) and they just haven't grabbed me yet. Something seems to be missing. But when I hear someone like Mau's recordings of his two Olsons they sound as wonderful as can be. But, as I like to say, you can never trust a recording. Anyway, I like the warmth of Cedar but something just isn't there that you get with spruce. Not sure what it is. Maybe depth of sound? Resonance? Body? Can anyone relate?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:44 PM

My first "good" guitar, a handmade 000 by English luthier John Hullah, had a cedar top with mahogany back and sides. At the time, I didn't even know it was cedar; I just knew it sounded good enough for me to buy it.

That was in the halcyon days before I learned about such things as tonewoods, tops, fretboards, and bracing!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I think most people grow up with spruce tops and come to get used to that particular sound, and its the sound that they first fall in love with. Then you eventually try cedar and a certain percentage of folks will love it but not everyone. I, for one, have played many a cedar topped guitar (many by Olson) and they just haven't grabbed me yet. Something seems to be missing. But when I hear someone like Mau's recordings of his two Olsons they sound as wonderful as can be. But, as I like to say, you can never trust a recording. Anyway, I like the warmth of Cedar but something just isn't there that you get with spruce. Not sure what it is. Maybe depth of sound? Resonance? Body? Can anyone relate?
+1 agreed, for us, both Cedar and Spruce guitars resonate. A cedar owner who has not connected with spruce, could also say, I like spruce, but something just isn't there that you get with cedar.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Guest 213

Lots of interesting, generalized comments here about cedar. I think it all comes down to the builder. Cedar/rosewood is my favorite combo. I really like my Sitka guitars too, but if forced to choose, I'll take cedar without hesitation. I love the warmth and complexity the wood can exude. Here's my Charis grand concert cedar/EIR:

Old 04-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It has a dull sound, dings so easily and is not what we are used to seeing.
Cedar may be soft but it most certainly does not have a "dull" sound. That is simply a ridiculous thing to say.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I think it all comes down to the builder.
I tend to agree. I'd take a cedar topped Taylor over a spruce one any day. On the other hand, I decided that the cedar topped Breedloves I have played were too muddy, and went with sitka instead. (didn't expect that)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
This is the exact reason Mathew gave us for not wanting to build a Cedar topped Larrivee Forum guitar.

Obviously it can be done, see all the cedar topped Seagulls and Breedloves out there, but I certainly believe Matt when he says that the glue bond issue is a concern.
That may be, but it hasn't prevented Larrivee from producing cedar-topped guitars. There are a slew of them currently available from Wildwood Music.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 AM

The current favorite in my collection is a cedar-topped Avalon. Most of my playing is fingerstyle, for which the guitar is ideally suited. It also strums just fine. I suppose that I can't drive it like a Martin D-28, but that's not my stye.

Nick
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 AM

James Goodall also builds a fair number of guitars with cedar tops. I have the most experience with a cedar/rosewood concert jumbo.

This guitar is sensitive to the lightest touch, gives you a lot of tone and volume without much effort, and can easily be loud enough to drown out a Martin D28. It has depth of tone along with lots of clarity, and works at least as well as a flatpicking instrument or strummed instrument as for fingerstyle. Actually, I think it really shines for flatpicking, and with a flatpick in my hand I need to hold back to avoid blasting out my musical partners with excessive volume.

Many of the things I said here about the cedar-topped Goodall are pretty much characteristics of a lot of Goodalls in general. The basic point though is that cedar topped guitars don't necessarily have to be limiting in the ways that lots of people say.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:18 AM

A taylor GC7 is the one that got away. tried one out at a store in Woodstock, NY. They were selling off because it had been discontinued. Unfortunately couldn't afford it even with the substantial discount. Th guitar had a shimmer that I'd never experienced before, which I attribute to the cedar top.

Hopefully one day soon...

Last edited by Marcury; 04-28-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
James Goodall also builds a fair number of guitars with cedar tops. I have the most experience with a cedar/rosewood concert jumbo.

This guitar is sensitive to the lightest touch, gives you a lot of tone and volume without much effort, and can easily be loud enough to drown out a Martin D28. It has depth of tone along with lots of clarity, and works at least as well as a flatpicking instrument or strummed instrument as for fingerstyle. Actually, I think it really shines for flatpicking, and with a flatpick in my hand I need to hold back to avoid blasting out my musical partners with excessive volume.

Many of the things I said here about the cedar-topped Goodall are pretty much characteristics of a lot of Goodalls in general. The basic point though is that cedar topped guitars don't necessarily have to be limiting in the ways that lots of people say.

Oh how I miss my RCJ. Selling it was one of the biggest mistakes I made.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihyeu View Post
I tend to like Cedar's sound.

But why there are much less guitars made by Cedar than Sitka?

I have been looking for a quality Cedar guitar but I only see Taylor 5 and 7 series made by it. Otherwise there is no other mid- to high-end guitars using Cedar.

Anyone knows why?
Love my Cedar topped Alvarez... Lowden is one of the best builders in the world and their most popular models seem to be Cedar.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Love my McIlroy cedar top and hopefully their are a few others that have one and feel the same way.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

I have a Cedar topped Taylor 714CE and love the sound. I like my Spruce topped Martin as well.

I think Cedar tops have a lot of tonal color variation. It's subtle but you can get some very lovely interesting sounds playing at different positions from the bridge and playing at different volumes. I'm pretty sure that's what makes it such a popular top for classical guitars.

The downside is volume. You can't get as much volume out of Cedar as Spruce. If you're going to amplify who cares. But classical guitars are tough to play with in an ensemble because of their low volume. Other instruments have to really be careful not to drown them out. I've always wanted to hear a classical guitarist play on a classical guitar with a spruce top with steel strings.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihyeu View Post
Thanks.

Do you know any in $2,000 range you would recommend?
Webber! http://www.webberguitars.com/

I have a cedar/walnut Webber that I just love ... love ... love

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion