The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
I have a Yairi WY1 that I bought used a couple years ago in battle scarred cosmetic condition for cheap. Seller said it was used in many drunken gigs. No structural probelms despite the dings and dents and sounds fantastic (2004 I believe). I agree that Cedar is more prone to dings/dents/scratches, but I've also seen used WY1s (and other Yairis and cedar tops) in great costmetic condition. Seems unlikley all of those were fingerpicked guitars that never left the house given that the WY1 is the Bob Weir model and used by many musicians with a pick, often in live settings.
A dream guitar of mine

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-27-2016, 06:18 PM

The thing is - "average" cedar is about half as stiff as "average" spruce. Manufacturing wise - if you use exactly the same dimensional recipe for building as many factories do.... You get exactly the sort of guitar that most folks accuse cedar of being. As an aside - folks say the same thing about Engleman spruce - which also runs toward the light and soft end of the density spectrum.

Now add that the "holy grail" bluegrass guitar top wood runs on average at the top for stiffness and density for spruce.... And this produces a characteristic sound associated with it...

It's notable that when Cedar tops are made to about the same dimensions as Spruce - you get basically the same thing when you make a spruce top guitar too thin. Too warm, unfocused, flabby, too easy to overdrive, and very sensitive to a light touch.... Etc.

I have a feeling that if you made a cedar top maybe 50% thicker than the normal spec for spruce on a dread - you may have a different opinion of the "characteristic sound" of cedar.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2016, 06:28 PM

As a finger picker/singer-songwriter type who plays without nails and picks generally, I love cedar !

Yeah, not a lot of head room when you put a pick to it, but as far as being able to bring out the full voice of the instrument easily, I think it's great. I have handful of adirondack guitars that I find difficult to drive the top with my fingerpicking to really bring out their voice so they end up sounding a little anemic (I will refrain from calling my playing anemic, but you can maybe connect the dots there !).

I think there aren't that many of them because it doesn't really suit that many players. Sitka really seems to be in the sweet spot in terms of stiffness that suits a lot of different styles, cedar really lends itself to those who are bit more delicate I would say.

That being said, most guitar makers are probably specializing in spruces and perfect their designs based on that. I doubt they put as much time into getting experimenting and getting the most out of cedar because of the economics of it and how many more spruce guitars they sell, although some irish guitar makers and classical makers really seem to have put a lot of energy into making cedar guitars. I've heard Collings doesn't do cedar any more because of warranty/durability issues which could have possibly resulted from using the same construction techniques as their sprucies.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihyeu View Post
I tend to like Cedar's sound.

But why there are much less guitars made by Cedar than Sitka?

I have been looking for a quality Cedar guitar but I only see Taylor 5 and 7 series made by it. Otherwise there is no other mid- to high-end guitars using Cedar.

Anyone knows why?
My old classical was a cedar top. My buddy has a Taylor GS cedar/cocobolo. Amazing sound.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM

Default Larrivee P-05 with cedar top

Not sure if this post is against the rules, but Notable Guitars has a cedar-topped Larrivee P-05 (parlor) guitar for sale, which I almost jumped on. (I ended up getting the standard P-05.) I just looked — As if this minute, it's still for sale. Larrivee doesn't usually use cedar, but this was an exception and it's a custom build.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 AM

I tried out around 35 guitars before settling on a relatively cheap Dowina cedar topped guitar (with lam back and sides). I just fell in love with the sound. High volume, warm but not muddy at all. And although it already has a fair share of dings, it feels like it will last a while yet
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Resurrecting an old thread, but good point by Truckjohn:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
It's notable that when Cedar tops are made to about the same dimensions as Spruce - you get basically the same thing when you make a spruce top guitar too thin. Too warm, unfocused, flabby, too easy to overdrive, and very sensitive to a light touch.... Etc.

I have a feeling that if you made a cedar top maybe 50% thicker than the normal spec for spruce on a dread - you may have a different opinion of the "characteristic sound" of cedar.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihyeu View Post
I tend to like Cedar's sound.

But why there are much less guitars made by Cedar than Sitka?…
Anyone knows why?
Can't offer any new thoughts but I can vouch for my Takamine P1NC, cedar on sapele. The top is glossed and a pickguard is present. I can strum on it pretty good without things breaking up. It is a warm and woody guitar. I hadn't previously considered cedar because I thought of it being best for classical guitars, or some other delicate six-string.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:03 PM

Likely a good marketing campaign away

I can only speak to my own experiences, through my own guitars, but cedar is different than spruce. I've never found it to be as loud as a spruce guitar, but I've always found it to (CLICHEs COMING) sound warmer and feel more sensitive in a not-better-but-different way.

I love cedar guitars. I also love spruce guitars. There's no point in comparing top woods, only in comparing different guitars that you play with your hands.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick a spruce. But I'd still long for cedar.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Why Cedar Wood not popular?

I read this is differently:

Why Cedar Wood not poplar.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM

I currently favor spruce top guitars. I have played cedar top guitars, but none screamed 'take me home tonight'. But having played many guitars over the years, not that many other guitars sang that 'take me home tonight' pitch either.

Here's the rub: I bought a cedar top (acacia back and sides) ukulele, my 'Kala KA ATP5 CTG 5 String'. It is just awesome and is by far the best sounding uke I've played. the result of which has opened my ears to cedar tops. So while I'm not in the market for another guitar, I will be going out of my way to test cedar top guitars from now on. I got to know.

Don

06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-15-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Why Cedar Wood not popular?

I read this is differently:

Why Cedar Wood not poplar.
Hmm. Barking up the wrong tree?
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 AM

Having owned many cedar-topped acoustics, I can say I love cedar, but I understand why is not as popular as sitka. Sitka is more "transparent," which, IMO, makes sitka a more versatile wood which can be used with different tonewoods and have different tonal proprieties. Cedar, on the other hand, will "hide" other tonewoods' tone more than sitka, which, IMO, takes away some of the variety. And all of this translate into sitka been used more and played more. Totally unscientific words from me, but it is what it is.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 AM

Sitka is louder and harder top than Cedar so it gets used more. Sitka is the traditional guitar top. However, I love Cedar tops. I have a Taylor 512 Cedar / Mahogany. It sounds "played in" from the beginning and is only getting better. I do have a light-medium strumming style. If you have bad strumming technique (meaning you tend to hit the top of the guitar outside the pickguard) then you are going to chew up the top. Cedar is softer than Sitka, but the sound is glorious.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:55 AM

It might not be popular overall in the folk guitar world, but if you are looking at specific builders like Kevin Ryan, Jim Olson, Drew Heinonen... Cedar is the more popular choice of top wood.

I'm personally not a fan of cedar topped guitars in general too, but when it comes to these builders, you can't help but love their Cedar topped guitars as it achieves the signature sound they are known for.

Check out this HEINONEN Cedar/Quilted Sapele in action @ the 2:24 minute mark. It does not lack volume, projection nor note separation; in fact, it has more of those than most Spruce guitars I've played!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion