The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM

Default 12 string capo

Hi guys, I recentley bought a Martjn 12 string and was wondering if you guys could recomend a capo. I have a Kyser, and does 2 things mutes a few strings and raises the pitch 2 much. What I want to do is keep it tuned down a half step and capo it at the 1st fret. Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Musical minimalist

A Shubb will let you adjust the tension better, but another thing to consider given what you are saying, is having your nut slots checked for proper action.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Get the new G7th “compensated” Newport 12 string capo. You can order direct. Make sure it is the compensated version. Some places are still selling the old non- comp version.

https://www.g7th.com/new-compensated...for-12-strings
Old 10-15-2018, 06:42 PM

It is good, I have heard that there aren't to many good 12 string capos. Online it appears that Shubb is good but I have seen some people recentley suggested Shubb has changed some ,things and didn't like the models. I would like to know what people have bought recentley and are using.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM

I have tried other capos in the past for my 12 ...all about the same, meaning not so great because of the octave strings.

I ended up arriving with the G7th Performance capo for 12 string. The original one, not the current compensated one. It works very well, and I still use it these many years later.

So I find out months ago that G7th updated it with this compensated model ...ok, fine. But my orig one works perfectly, so I aint buying. That said, it's worth checking out.

Edward
Old 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
It is good, I have heard that there aren't to many good 12 string capos. Online it appears that Shubb is good but I have seen some people recentley suggested Shubb has changed some ,things and didn't like the models. I would like to know what people have bought recentley and are using.
Well, no matter, when there's ANY sort of change, some folks will dislike the change and will get all too exuberant expressing their dismay online. What Shubb did is extend the use of the roller wheel (previously available on the more expensive Shubb Deluxe capos only) to most of the rest of their product line. The roller wheel makes for a smoother-working capo, and is the reason I switched over the Shubb Deluxe model capo as soon as it became available.

Now it's on most of the Shubb capos, regardless of price point. It's an improvement, it really is, but there will always be some folks who don't like change of any kind...

I have bought Shubb capos in years past and have bought some recently, as well. I own three twelve string guitars (a Guild, a Seagull and a Rickenbacker electric,) and also have an eight string guitar with octave courses on the D and G strings.

I use Shubb 12 string capos on all of those guitars. There isn't another capo on the market that works as well on 12 strings, in my experience.

Naturally, your mileage may vary, but the Shubbs aren't hideously expensive, so you might as well give one a try and make your own judgement call.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Default G7th compensated capo

I can tell you that I've had a variety of capos over the years (khyser, shubb, paige, dunlop) and until I tried the G7th compensated capo I was never satisfied, I am now - the G7th compensated works for me so nicely
Old 10-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys, it will either be a Shubb or a G7th. I like my G7th performance 2 capo, so I might look into the compensated model a little bit more and then decide on it or the Shubb.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
I can tell you that I've had a variety of capos over the years (khyser, shubb, paige, dunlop) and until I tried the G7th compensated capo I was never satisfied, I am now - the G7th compensated works for me so nicely
Have you tried the G7th compensated on a Martin 12 string or a 12 string with a simlar neck?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM

For less money than the Shubb and still a great capo, I'd look at the 12 string Paige Capo. I've used one for years on my guitar (a 6 string) and have had great success and longevity from it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM

I use the new G7 compensated capo on my Martin 12 string and it is excellent. No issues and fits great and works perfectly.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Get the new G7th “compensated” Newport 12 string capo. You can order direct. Make sure it is the compensated version. Some places are still selling the old non- comp version.

https://www.g7th.com/new-compensated...for-12-strings
This capo is freaking awesome.
It’s almost not big enough to put on my big Takamine.
But it still works beautifully for my purposes.
It has the indents in the pad. It’s strength is that it “indexes” very quickly when changing positions.

The other capo that will do the job nicely, is the Paige 12-string.
It is much slower to “index” on the strings.
But it performs wonderfully.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
Thanks for the quick replies guys, it will either be a Shubb or a G7th. I like my G7th performance 2 capo, so I might look into the compensated model a little bit more and then decide on it or the Shubb.
I'll give you another upvote for the G7th compensated. I love it. Works great!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 PM

My personal preference is for the New G7th Newport 12 String Guitar Capo with Compensated String Pad.
No re-tuning is necessary when using this capo.

More info in a very recent thread titled "12 string capo thoughts". Link follows:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522136

My post to that thread, post number 15, includes links to another thread and also links to reviews for this product.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 10-15-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had zero problems with Shubb, and they are incredibly easy to adjust to match the fretboard radius perfectly (which may be where people have problems). I think if your 12 string is well set-up, any capo that matches the fretboard is gonna work fine - that said, I wouldn’t mind trying a “compensated 12 string” version just to see what the fuss is about -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion