The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Mixer into combo amp question

I have a Carvin AG100D and would like to have more microphone channels. Don't know much about this but was thinking of running something like a soundcraft notepad 12x through it. Would appreciate any ideas and thoughts. Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM

No reason for it not to work fine but, depending on what you're trying to do you might find it's not the ideal solution.

More details of your plan would be useful.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Basically I look at it as a possible stopgap measure. I have been getting together with another picker with the possibility of adding a bass player to form a trio. Since I already have the combo amp and a suitable extension cab it seemed reasonable to start with that for an occasional gig. We prefer to play my guitar and the other mandolin through microphones which I already have. If things took off a little we could trade up to a powered speaker as I would already have the mixer. For the difference between the 8x and 12x it seemed reasonable to go bigger plus more microphone channels. Make any sense at all?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:45 PM

I've had a similar "coffee shop" setup in the past and it'll work fine so long as you send the appropriate type and level of signal from one to the other.

I suspect you'll grow out of the combo arrangement before you grow out of the mixer. Soundcraft have a good record with small format units like this and I think you'll still be finding uses for it when you're playing stadium gigs.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 10-15-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:53 AM

It should work fine, the AG100D is basically a small p.a. system anyhow and with the extension, well, there ya go.

I've owned an AG100D for probably 15 years and have used it for all kinds of stuff, it was way ahead of it's time.

It's a shame what happened to Carvin.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification