The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2018, 01:35 AM

Default Portable Bluetooth Speaker for gigs?

Had the idea to use one of those little boombox type portable speakers for smaller gigs after a couple of kids waked down our street after school with one blasting away and i was pretty impressed with the sound clarity, throw and dispersion from a tiny unit. A fellow on here i read used a little one (JBL Flip 2, its EQ sounded the best for guitar apparently) for street performance and it tucked into his guitar case also.

I'd be interested in one that would be a bit bigger and preferably have (as close to) 360deg sound and handle my cafe and Restaurant gigs of about 100 people. I run my acoustic, vocals and kick/stomp into my POD HD500 so Id hardwire it into the Mp3 AUX input (couldn't/wouldn't use the bluetooth) and probably keep the power cabe in also.

The JBL Boombox Extreme looked quite substantial... maybe a bit big...

Has anyone done this??
Cheers,
Clint
Old 10-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

You should probably change the title of your request - in my experience, bluetooth has not been particularly good for live sound. But the fact that you don’t intend to use it would mean a battery powered speaker system should do you quite well -
Old 10-13-2018, 03:44 AM

Yea true, but not sure how to edit the title...
Yea bluetooth is apparently useless so i would intend to plug in.

My main goals are:
Sound dispersion and clarity.
Enough volume for small gigs.
Not have to take my EV 15" powered monster to small gigs when it only has 70deg dispersion angle.

My weekly regular I've done for 3 years I'm setup in the middle of the restaurant.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 AM

Don't buy a Bose Revolve. I've got the Revolve+ and it has a very significant latency even through the AUX input (Hosa CMP-110, 1/4" TS mono to 3.5mm TRS stereo, from guitar to speaker). They must be doing some very significant DSP equalization. Though it does sound great around the house playing Pandora.

Lately I use a Katana Mini for my small amp needs (no PA gigs where my Parlor with 10s needs to compete with my partner's D-28, boosting a lead solo at a jam, etc.). I used to use Bluetooth speakers for that type of problem. The Katana Mini beats similarly sized Bluetooth speakers because I think it uses a larger driver instead of a DSP.

Some of the boom box sized Bluetooth speakers are pretty impressive sounding and large. At that point you could consider one of the Behringer low end battery powered PA-in-a-box products. I've tried this one and it sound fine:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ge.rr1|ClickCP
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Don't buy a Bose Revolve. I've got the Revolve+ and it has a very significant latency even through the AUX input (Hosa CMP-110, 1/4" TS mono to 3.5mm TRS stereo, from guitar to speaker). They must be doing some very significant DSP equalization. Though it does sound great around the house playing Pandora.

Lately I use a Katana Mini for my small amp needs (no PA gigs where my Parlor with 10s needs to compete with my partner's D-28, boosting a lead solo at a jam, etc.). I used to use Bluetooth speakers for that type of problem. The Katana Mini beats similarly sized Bluetooth speakers because I think it uses a larger driver instead of a DSP.

Some of the boom box sized Bluetooth speakers are pretty impressive sounding and large. At that point you could consider one of the Behringer low end battery powered PA-in-a-box products. I've tried this one and it sound fine:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ge.rr1|ClickCP
Hi John!
Thanks for the response!
It was your post that id found about using the JBL Flip 2 actually . I know there is a slightly bigger version now "JBL Extreme" i think it is, that might be heftier sound wise.
Im really trying to achieve a 360 deg sound tho for when i am placed centrally in a restaurant. Its not for portability, wireless, bluetooth, busking, street stuff or larger gigs (i have the ZLX15P for that) at all. Just for pure sound dispersion. Tho it must have a 3.5mm AUX input (without latency) and amplify me around approximately 3x my acoustic volume.

I know there is a lot of musician specific amps out there that would sound fantastic but i haven't seen anything that threw a 360 sound...
Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 AM

A trip to Best Buy might identify some possibilities. All the Bluetooth speakers I've seen have a 3.5mm stereo input. The problem is latency (even the aux input might be delayed in a DSP algorithm) and extreme equalization attempting real-ish bass response out of a tiny driver (you will know it when you hear it). Best to take them home and try them out which is much easier to do if a local return is possible...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-13-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks John!
I might head down to JBHIFI here in AUS and see what there is .
👍🏻
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 AM

I don't know of any pro-sound rated speaker system
that does 360 degrees. setting up in the middle
of the room is tough. I do a gig where i set
up in a picture window (former garage door)
i play with my back to the bar facing the audience
sitting outside on the sidewalk. i use a k10 outside
and an Sunburst gear m6br8 faceing in.
fortunately i don't have any audience to my left
or right.
I really think you may want to look at
bose, like the l1 or compact tower array
systems. I don't think you would be happy
with the sound from a boombox type BT speaker.
That being said the Above meantioned m6br8
is a nice compact battery powered speaker
that sounds great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunburst-Ge...0AAOSw~HBaJywz
i use it for small bistro
gigs. And it works great. Sunburst and EAE (eliteacoustics.com)
are the same company. I got mine refurbished
on ebay for best offer of $260. A steal for how it sounds.
They have bigger and more versatile models as well.
I use a small mixer with these. but their D68 has a built
in digital mixer.
But for 360 i think you may want to look at
bose array system. But then your back to big again.
Are you prioritzing 360 or just portability and sound quality?
I ask because two speakers pointing opposite might give
you close to full coverage.

Last edited by varmonter; 10-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Thanks varmonter!
Yea i wouldnt take any plunges into anything that wasn't 360 sound.
i know the Bose L1 is 180 tho I'm looking to upgrade to the EV Evolve 50 in the near future (which i heard the other day and sounded ok from behind it also as i assume the Bose would as well)
Just thought someone like John above might have a more current solution with one of those portable 360 sound speakers that would be enough for a low level 50-100 person restaurant.
Space is an issue also. Currently i use my EV ZLX-15P in monitor position behind me tho and the sound hits the ceiling and reflects ok but people have kicked it and nearly fallen over so yea... haha.

Sounds like 2x small line array back to back is the only option currently.
If only they started making the stick PA's with the top driver pointing upwards to a dispersion cone or something (maybe 1 driver pointing backwards) to create some clarity behind the PA.
Obviously the logistics of creating 1 full range speaker sound good with omnidirectional sound is hurdle in the live sound reinforcement field.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Its pretty unusual to need a 360d even sound dispersal area - most of the time you’re in a corner, or against a wall, and its pretty rare to have an audience sitting behind you with equal needs as that sitting in front. I do think you’re gonna have to find a creative solution to this one -
Old 10-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activateclint View Post
Thanks varmonter!
Yea i wouldnt take any plunges into anything that wasn't 360 sound.
i know the Bose L1 is 180 tho I'm looking to upgrade to the EV Evolve 50 in the near future (which i heard the other day and sounded ok from behind it also as i assume the Bose would as well)
Just thought someone like John above might have a more current solution with one of those portable 360 sound speakers that would be enough for a low level 50-100 person restaurant.
Space is an issue also. Currently i use my EV ZLX-15P in monitor position behind me tho and the sound hits the ceiling and reflects ok but people have kicked it and nearly fallen over so yea... haha.

Sounds like 2x small line array back to back is the only option currently.
If only they started making the stick PA's with the top driver pointing upwards to a dispersion cone or something (maybe 1 driver pointing backwards) to create some clarity behind the PA.
Obviously the logistics of creating 1 full range speaker sound good with omnidirectional sound is hurdle in the live sound reinforcement field.
Well i just thought of a possible solution.
yorkville makes a nx10c which is a pole through
mounting system. They are coaxial so they are small. 13x13.5x12 tweeter in the middle.
They sound great and have a pin jac
you can plug the ipad into for playback music.
3 of these on one pole (Array style) would give you 360. (point them any way you want)
They are 300 watt powered speakers.no battery. you can daisy chain
the power and signal cords .Plenty loud . I use one as a monitor.
either on the floor or mounted under our qsc k10
on the pole. the pole through works really well.
You would need a board as well. .. just a thought.
Only down side to 3 is cost. i got mine (0ne)for 400 from alto.. IIRC

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/nx/product/nx10c/

Last edited by varmonter; 10-15-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM

They look pretty great!
Yea 3 would be the go however pricey. I'd need only 6" drivers id say also.
Think Ive come to the conclusion that id need to build one. I have a pair of powered outdoor speaker (i was going to use as a monitor) with a 6" wolfer and a tweeter that i could dismantle and experiment with. Build a speaker box (or tube) and point the wolfer up and the tweeter down at dispersion cones kinda like a spinning top. Ill add some example pics if i can!
Hifi speakers do it so might work for a PA speaker. If it does ill invest in a half decent 8" powered speaker and make a better one. Id add a passive radiator to extend the low end also, thats the trick these little coke can sized speakers move so much air i believe. If anyone is interested, have a look at a 'teardown' vid of one on youtube, very interesting!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:21 AM

"Woofer", not "wolfer".

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 AM

How about the Mackie Freeplay Live? It's lightweight, and have some nice reviews. I haven't tried it though. I can't imagine you would be able to get acceptable sound for your vocals with anything smaller, but possibly for the guitar.

https://mackie.com/products/new-freeplay-live

Cheers,
Per
Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
"Woofer", not "wolfer".
Hahaha AAAggghhhhrroooooooooo!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplification, sound, speaker, speakers