The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The OP said his budget is <£200. The Grace Felix, in the UK, costs €1,199, that's £1,068. A tad over-budget methinks!
I generally like to spare folks the anquish and
cost of experimentation . I probably spent 2k on these
less than perfect 2-300 dollar wiz boxes over the years.
never quite satisfied with some features that never
seem to work/sound right. This is all subjective of course.
And you may like an ad12 for a little while or a ve8 may suit
your needs for a bit.
But the felix is a superb preamp. and you can
add reverb or delay pedals at any time and
if you don't like that reverb you just sell it and get
another reverb pedal. cheaper than taking a loss
on a (insert name here )all in one wiz box.
That being said the baggs para Di can be got for 180 us dollars.
and depending on the input impedance of your guitar
may be a good option in your price range. No effects though. And only one channel. The red eye twin (also limited) might also
suit you. it has two channels. but new is closer to 300.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 AM

Fair point, Varmonter!Seems that experimentation in this area does not come cheaply! :-) Thanks a lot.

I have the chance to try out a BBE Acoustimax next week. I wasn't looking at those and they don't have effects but someone I know is selling one very cheaply and I now some people have had good results with them, especially with mag pickups.

I have also thought abut the Red Eye. Whist neither of the above will solve the reverb / delay bit, they may both bring a bit of life back to the sound when it is missing and I guess I could add a reverb pedal later.

I will take on board all these good suggestions and try to do a little field testing where I can! Thanks a lot
Pete
Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Fair point, Varmonter!Seems that experimentation in this area does not come cheaply! :-) Thanks a lot.

I have the chance to try out a BBE Acoustimax next week. I wasn't looking at those and they don't have effects but someone I know is selling one very cheaply and I now some people have had good results with them, especially with mag pickups.

I have also thought abut the Red Eye. Whist neither of the above will solve the reverb / delay bit, they may both bring a bit of life back to the sound when it is missing and I guess I could add a reverb pedal later.

I will take on board all these good suggestions and try to do a little field testing where I can! Thanks a lot
Pete
Thanks yes the cost of trying especially if you
buy new can be quite excessive. A new box
for 300 can be resold for 225-250 if your lucky.
do that 10 times and you've lost 500 dollars.
I generally only buy used stuff now. one can
resell pretty close to what you paid for it.
Good luck with the BBE™. Let us know what you think..
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 AM

Well, you asked me to let you know how I went on with the BBE unit, so here is a quick update.

So far, so good....I think! The unit is not obviously intelligible to someone who is not into sound technology. The manual won't help you greatly either with no real instructions or suggestions, just an identification of the different feature without any sort of 'real world' explanation for less techy folk.

But, the pedal seems really well made. The EQ aspects are flexible and effective. As for the 'Sonic Maximiser' element, I still can't pretend to understand what it really does. It is, I think about notch control of unhelpful frequencies and phase correction of bass frequencies....I think.

Anyway, the point is that by twiddling stuff a lot and taking plenty of time to experiment, I have found that I can get some really nice sounds out of both of my pickups - one mag and one UST piezo.

It seems very solid and well made and, so far is giving me what I wanted which is a way to get a pleasant and warm sound from my guitars.

I haven't used it at a gig yet, but I will do on Sunday so will give you all another update then.

One thing is doesn't give is effects such as delay or reverb. However, it seems that as soon as you click the sonic maximiser on you do get a little 3D character to the sound, a little airiness - which is all I was trying to achieve with the effects anyway.

I paid about £80 for it and so far it is rather promising.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 PM

great bbe sm has been around for a long time.
let us know what you think using it live at
a gig at volume.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification