The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 AM

Default Yamaha MG12/4 mixer

Good morning. Does anyone here have experience with this make/model?
Old 10-10-2018, 01:08 PM

You could/should have asked your question in your post, but yes I used one for a few years (with compression and FX). What’s on your mind?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Yamaha

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

We found this mixer in someone's basement and want to give it a try after failing miserably with a new, digital mixer. Ended up selling on eBay in frustration.

We have a 6-member group. We want to use 6 microphones and 6 instruments.

There happen to be 6 XLR ports (for the microphones I assume) and I believe that we can plug each instrument into one of the stereo ports (1/4"), left and right (7 L/R, 8 L/R...)

There are only 8 "sliders" to adjust the volume. How do we control the volume on all 6 instruments if 6 of them are dedicated to the microphones and only two left?

I apologize for my ignorance but I am new to this.

Thanks again.

Pete
Old 10-12-2018, 07:01 AM

That mixer won't meet your needs, and you can't make it do it what it isn't designed to do. You need a mixer with at least twelve discreet channels. Although stereo channels have two inputs (LR) they are still just ONE channel.

The smallest Yamaha MG mixer that would be appropriate is the MG20 series.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 AM

If you have preamp controls on your instruments, you can plug the instruments into 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 and use their respective volume controls to set your levels. The sliders and gain will have to be high enough to accommodate the instrument with the lowest output. Additional tweaking could be corrected by planning L/R toward the lower output instrument.

Your mics will then go to channels 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6.

This leaves you with a slight problem...you need one more mic channel. There are mini XLR splitter/mixers on the market that will handle this. An XLR splitter cable could even work (not recommended, but would work) with identical mics and singers with very similar vocal amplitude.
[[Plug this into channel 5/6 https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...BoCEfIQAvD_BwE ]]

Though this is not the ideal way to do this, if you're on a budget and don't need total control on each instrument channel (planning left/right, eq, gain) this WILL WORK.

Note: long cable runs (over 20 ft) are not recommended on the instruments.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-12-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Thanks

Very grateful for the advice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification