The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Oh and I'm back at it in the shop now. After a couple week hiatus with the new baby.

Pics soon.
John, when do we get to see a picture of the new model (baby)? Maybe one of those whole family pics guys are always posting.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke

Last edited by IPlay2; 03-27-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Thanks for the perpsective Phil. I've been checking out John's L-32. Sounds interesting, maybe the short scale 13-fret version. One of his early builds is already on it's way to my place. A 2004 Jumbo Parlor (an oxy moron if I ever heard one). We'll see how it has weathered it's nearly 10 years of existence. I have high hopes.
It is indeed an oxymoron. The idea was to take a, somewhat, parlor-esque shape and make it larger. I don't make the model anymore, but I liked the size.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: Mayes

Cigarfan,

I have a Jumbo Parlor in Ziricote and Italian Spruce; it's a late 2005 build. Very comfortable guitar to play, excels at fingerstyle. It's the only Ziricote I've played much and I've not seen another Mayes before, so it's kind of hard to compare it to anything?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Oh and I'm back at it in the shop now. After a couple week hiatus with the new baby.

Pics soon.
John, congratulations on your new baby. Such wonderful news. Wishing you and your family all the very best.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post
Cigarfan,

I have a Jumbo Parlor in Ziricote and Italian Spruce; it's a late 2005 build. Very comfortable guitar to play, excels at fingerstyle. It's the only Ziricote I've played much and I've not seen another Mayes before, so it's kind of hard to compare it to anything?
Thanks Quake17.

I have to agree with you and John. The Jumbo Parlor is a very comfortable size to play. I am a big fan of Ziricote and so I can imagine paired with Italian yours must sound pretty good.

In his post, John mentioned how slim the neck was. Having played mine for a couple days now that is the only thing I don't care for. Very shallow. 1 3/4 wide but it doesn't feel like it. Don't know if I am going to be able to get used to that or not.

I am enjoying the sound this little buggar puts out. Redwood/Madi is a pretty nice combo.

Thanks for weighing in.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: Mayes

CF,

Yes, very electric neck feel; slim and fast (much like myself in my dreams).
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I have one of John's more recent builds, an L-32 in gorgeous Lutz over mahogany, and it is in the top three of the many many guitars I've played or hosted over the years. It's spectacular.

Thanks, John, for the beauty you bring to the world all over the place.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop