The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Yet another Steve Sheriff (Edwinson) masterpiece....

Wow. I am one grateful guy, to have witnessed the gestation (and soon the birthing) of this one, from afar. It's one of Steve Sheriff's Edwinson guitars, a Zephyr (his 00 design, 14 1/4" lower bout), and features Gabon ebony back and sides, reclaimed (from an old church beam) redwood for the top, florentine cutaway, spectacular snakewood binding and canary/red holly purfling lines all around, and multiscale (24.5" - 25.5") neck/saddle/nut/bridge/frets/bracing (!). After a bunch of work it looked like this:

and this:

and this:

and now, at least a few coats of finish and lots of sanding work ago, it looks like this:

Surely looking forward to giving this one a grateful home, and thanks so much, Steve, for all of your kind and smart and passionate work!

Mark
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Congratulations. Steve's work on your guitar looks amazing (as always - I know I love my Edwinson). Please post your impressions of the multiscale.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Gorgeous! An Edwinson multi-scale masterpiece. The back and sides look like they use a very dense piece of wood. I really like the detail work on the binding and rosette too.

JR
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM

geez, the detail on the binding is super sexy. I can't even imagine in my pea brain prettier guitars than what Steve builds. the man has an eye for aesthetics for sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 AM

Hey Mark, that one looks great! Hope you enjoy it...are you playing more guitar now, or still mostly Mando? Aloha, Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone....I appreciate them, and more importantly I'm certain that the artist appreciates them. He built this guitar amidst the transition to a new shop and a new set of life lessons, and among other things it is a tribute to the persistence of art and beauty in the world across miles and changes. Steve has been marvelous to work with.

I decided on a multiscale based in part on my long-ago custody of one of Michael Baskin's spectacular builds with a very similar lay-out. I remember the ergonomic transparency of the design, the visual aesthetic, and especially the richness and sparkle of the strings. I'm looking forward to this one.

And yes, Hen, I continue to play guitar in addition to mandolin and other mandolin-family instruments (including a five-course GDAEB cittern). Thanks to a Boomerang II phrase-sampler, my wife and I (as "Us Two and It") get to make music with all kinds of accompaniment and are having a great time....and looking forward to the Edwinson keeping us company!

Mark
Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 AM

Hey, that guitar is no good. The frets are crooked. Send it to me and I'll use it as a sock holder.....

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Wow, Just Wow, your build is a grand slam home run. Look forward to your next update. Under finish it is going be radio active........Steve

On the work bench:
Razo 2013 #14 African BW/Sinker like #7 but not

Considering
Sexauer D45 Style Dred in BRW/TBD Traugott TBD - Olson TBD - So many others TBD
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi, everybody,
I think that Mark is being quite generous in the title to this thread, calling this guitar a "masterpiece". To my way of thinking, masterpieces can only be made by Masters, and the only way to become a Master is to have a student--at LEAST one. (Mark is a college professor--so HE definitely has Master credentials!)

This Zephyr that I'm making for Mark is my number 71; a respectable number of guitars, sure. But I still consider myself to be a journeyman luthier. And will be for some time. Although my fondest ambition is to eventually take on some student/ apprentices.

That said, this "Zephyr Noir" is turning out to be a pretty darn nice guitar. Everything about the build has been pure pleasure for me. All the woods have cooperated beautifully--no bad attitude, which you almost expect from Ebony--just good-natured compliance and sweetness.

I told Mark awhile back that this guitar is EXACTLY the guitar I wish I owned. It's a very comfortable 00 size, with a cutaway, and a 24.5- 25.5" multi-scale; it's got this fantastic 100+ year-old Redwood top that allegedly came out of the roof beam of a country church that was built over a century ago in Southern Oregon...In every particular, THIS is the guitar I would build for myself as the ultimate keeper.

Since I will be attending the Healdsburg this year, I'll soon be starting another one like this on spec. Hopefully, I'll get to keep it, at least for awhile.

I got this amazing, primo set of Gabon Ebony from Michael Gurian in Seattle, almost three years ago. He had recently purchase a boxcar load of Ebony logs, some of which were quite large--big enough to re-saw into guitar sets. I've seen some other Gabon ebony sets for sale recently, but none this nice. This wood was quarter-sawn, so it's likely to be very stable. The sides bent flawlessly. And the color is very uniform black, with some subtle grey streaking. This is considered to be the best of the best.
I still have two sets of this ebony in my stash. Great stuff, and quite rare.

Where we're at now with this build is pretty close to the finish line. That is, the lacquer is curing, and final wet-sanding, polishing, and buffing are about a week out. I expect to have this Zephyr strung up in 7- 10 days.

It's been a long wait for Mark, and he's been amazingly generous and patient. When I had to pull up stakes and move away from Seattle, I lost a couple months on my production schedule. But I think it'll be worth the wait. I'm also really pleased that Mark only lives a short distance away, right next door in Georgia. So we will meet in person when it's time to hand over the Zephyr Noir. That will be a good day!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM

Steve,

Love your work and I believe you are destined to be one of the Greats, this Falcon Noir is spectacular.

Don't mean to hijack, but just looked at your updated homepage. Just wanted to send best wishes for your Dad, hope his transition is going well. My mother passed away in December, sisters and I have been scrambling to figure out the best situation for my 91 year old Dad. Very tough time in life, I think it is terrific that you are moving close to him so you can near for this twilight days. You are a good son.

BD

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Steve,

Love your work and I believe you are destined to be one of the Greats, this Falcon Noir is spectacular.

Don't mean to hijack, but just looked at your updated homepage. Just wanted to send best wishes for your Dad, hope his transition is going well. My mother passed away in December, sisters and I have been scrambling to figure out the best situation for my 91 year old Dad. Very tough time in life, I think it is terrific that you are moving close to him so you can near for this twilight days. You are a good son.

BD
Thanks so much for your kind words. Deepest condolences on the passing of your Mother, and I want to wish you the best of good fortune with your Dad. I wish we could all come to a beautiful and affirming resolution. So be it!

This Zephyr Noir is the first guitar across the finish line in Edwin's shop. My Dad has been thoroughly enjoying the whole process of watching guitars being created here. He's very curious about the details of guitar design and construction, because lutherie is such an arcane type of woodworking. There are very few flat planes and almost no right angles in this work.
My father's furniture making arts are equally mystifying to me. I regret that I never had a chance to look over his shoulder while he was creating his masterpieces. He spent twenty five years after he retired (at age 62) following his true passion, and now he has a house full of museum-quality furniture.

Mark is coming over to pick up his new guitar this weekend. She's been strung up for five or six days now. Sounds like a million bucks, right out of the starting gate.
Without further adieu, here are some photos of the finished Multiscale Zephyr Noir:

Old 02-18-2013, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

What a stunning instrument. Absolutely beautiful. Excellent work!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Beautiful Steve, as always
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Wow! Amazing work Steve. Congratulations. Just goes to show, great workmanship can travel anywhere. Glad to see you back in full gear.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

"Wow" is right. What a gift it was to make the drive over to Birmingham yesterday, to meet Steve's dear parents and sister and to share their lovely home and hearth, to savor his father's art masquerading as furniture, to get an appreciative glimpse at his mother's art in pottery and paint, to stand by and to even wade into the sea in which Steve's art was conceived and nourished and took shape, and then to welcome this new guitar into my heart and hands and life. Steve will pass along some final guitar pictures but I wanted, today, to thank him publicly for the beauty and passion and abundant spirit he brings to his life and work. I'm going to treasure this new addition to my little guitar family, and trust that the words of blessing Steve whispered into the soundhole as he placed the dark shining Zephyr into my hands will ring around in there and emerge musically for many years to come.

THANKS.

Mark

... and yes, it IS a masterpiece. Not THE masterpiece, I'm pretty sure, but certainly one of them, for Steve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop