The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson View Post
out of curiosity, why is it that some of you don't like using supplied wood?
I'm no luthier or even a woodworker (I'm a machinist and my medium is metal ,lol).. but If I was to guess, I would say that certain woods might not have an optimum cut on it, making it substitutable to problems/cracking or something along those lines. I'm sure a custom builder would not want to put their name on something they feel may be inferior to their normal materials.

To me, that would be like someone asking me to make some custom light-weight c-clamps for them.. no problem.. but then they want me to use some cast aluminum they have, which I know will snap under moderate pressure... big problem and I wouldn't do it.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson View Post
Love seeing all of the builders comment! out of curiosity, why is it that some of you don't like using supplied wood?
I spend alot of time evaluating wood before I use it. I've had 3 people who wanted to supply some if their woods. I used it from one of them, but rejected the other 2 because by my standards it wasn't stable enough. 1 of those people seemed ........ insulted I wouldn't use their wood. I've got thousands of dollars worth of all kinds of tonewoods that meets my standards to choose from. It's less of a hassle to just choose from my stash, instead of spending alot of time trying to use something else.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Custom Builders WELCOME!!!

+1 to wasper

And as a fellow machinist I know exactly where u are coming from. As you know the customer is NOT always right in fact when it comes to specialized manufacturing the customer usually doesn't have a clue. Trust the expert.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for checking in. I do one "ministry" guitar a year. This could be the one. I would be happy to discuss with you.
www.rockymtnguitar.com
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyPenland View Post
I am looking to have my dream guitar made for ME.........
There are many that would be happy to help. If you can post or send some pictures of your wood via email it would be real helpful. Send them to me and we can talk about it.

I have watched these threads for a few years now. I don't think one has ever turned into a guitar. Can someone point me to a thread that did?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM

I only build with wood that I own outright, and my pricing schedule is dependent on my wholesale cost for the wood from my supplier. If it happens that a customer wishes to be a wholesale supplier for me to build their guitar, then I am happy to build with that wood. It can be a tricky transaction (two separate transactions actually) because the task of turning a set of wood into a guitar does involve some risk, so I ask the customer to recognize that their role as a wholesale supplier is formally separate from their role as a customer, and that once I own the wood the transaction can proceed as if I had gotten it from any other source. Of course I am interested in the prospect of building a custom guitar for you.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Geeze, you have so many good choices.

I agree with the other posters here that you need to provide more information (budget, what you are looking for, how you play) and that you need to show your wood, so to speak. Other than that, all of the luthiers who have responded (and just about all the others who represent in the forum) have their own styles and sounds. Read up on previous builds and see what sounds and looks good to you.

Have fun choosing, and welcome to the AGF.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop