The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default "An Acoustic Christmas" Guitar CD by Tom Hemby

I regularly see a couple of types of Christmas CD out there: those which are great CDs to put on with the familiar tunes played in a familiar style, and those which either feature a musician or virtuoso who adapts Christmas tunes to his or her style. The first camp of CDs are the type you want to play with the family around. The second camp contains the works of some pretty excellent musicans and can exhibit some pretty amazing playing, but the family may listen and say, "What the heck is THIS?"

Tom Hemby's acoustic guitar Christmas CD falls into the second camp: It's a guitar player's Christmas album. Here's a Nashville session player who's been on tons of albums and really has the chops, I mean REALLY has the chops. For heaven's sake, the back cover contains an endorsement by no less than Phil Keaggy, folks. When you listen, you'll find yourself saying two things: "Doggy, that boy can play!" and, "I know there's a Christmas song in here somewhere." The album contains 45 minutes of very tasteful playing encompassiong all sorts of styles from semi-classical fingerstyle to delta blues and dobro. Really, delta blues. That steamy style which has be picked up for the TV murder-series "City Confidential". If you are looking for something other than the usual renditions of the carols and/or holiday classics, something which pushes the limits and integrates some cutting-edge guitar techniques, this is a great CD for you.

However, your non-guitar spouse may consider this collection little more than noise. Don't be suprised if it is relegated to your personal stereo in a back room or the CD player in your own car, to be played when you are alone.

So, excellent album, folks!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-22-2004, 05:51 PM

My wife got me that CD last year for Christmas. He is an awesome player!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:50 PM

Tom's second cousin is a good friend of mine and a former guitar student. He met Tom at a family reunion a few years back, and they have become good friends since. He has visited Tom in Nashville, and Tom has been very hospitable. My friend gave me this album last Christmas, and I agree that it is a great album for players. Another friend of mine bought it and thought it was a bit much as far as chops on a Christmas album goes. To each his own, as they say!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:20 AM

I met Tom in a Nashville music store (The only reason I knew it was him was he was bringing in an amp to sell that had his name stencil painted on the top). He was a nice fellow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification