The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2018, 06:55 PM

Default NUSD (Yamaha DXR10)

I have more PA speakers than I do fingers, but when I found a like-new Yamaha DXR10 for over $200 off retail, I just HAD to jump on it. So glad I did. What a little sound cannon. The 34lb weight makes its compact chassis feel heavier than it is. Sound-wise it's incredible how detailed the sound reproduction is -- studio monitor quality with very little noise and headroom for eons (no pun intended).

If you're after a FRFR powered speaker, I can't imagine one much better.

And now for the QSC guys and gals to chime in...
Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 PM

If you've had the opportunity to test it, how does it compare to the DBR10?
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Okay.... as I guess a QSC guy I'll chime....

I tried these side by side in a soundroom before committing. Both are excellent speakers. In fact if you prefer pristine sound the Yammies win. More Hi Fi I suppose. The QSC have a little more punch to them, the programmed profile I believe. More 'musical' as someone else said at the time. Plus I got a good price at the time, always helps.

Other factors were the Q' s were better presented as road ready, casing, bump stops and general feel. The Yammies are more delicate.

As for the DBR's they are a small step down, not quite as clean or powerful. Still great speakers but you do loose a little. Whether that matters at your average pub gig is a whole other thing.

Kris
Old 04-21-2018, 12:14 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
Okay.... as I guess a QSC guy I'll chime....

I tried these side by side in a soundroom before committing. Both are excellent speakers. In fact if you prefer pristine sound the Yammies win. More Hi Fi I suppose. The QSC have a little more punch to them, the programmed profile I believe. More 'musical' as someone else said at the time. Plus I got a good price at the time, always helps.

Other factors were the Q' s were better presented as road ready, casing, bump stops and general feel. The Yammies are more delicate.

As for the DBR's they are a small step down, not quite as clean or powerful. Still great speakers but you do loose a little. Whether that matters at your average pub gig is a whole other thing.

Kris
Was it the k10 or k10.2 that you auditioned? I've read that .2 is a much improved version. I had a pair of k10.1 for about 5 years and I liked them a lot. I sold them last year but now I'm contemplating on buying one of :

K8.2, $899
k10.2,$949
Dxr10 $759 or
Bose L1 C $1159 these are Canadian prices and they suck

I like the wide dispersion of the L1C but prefer the vocal on the k10. I've not heard the dxr10 but always like Yamaha stuff. I had their Stagepas before and it was very good for what it was intended for.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:49 AM

I own a pair each of the K8's and K10s' the originals. I have not auditioned the .2's and have not seen them in use out in the field as it were so cannot compare directly. I believe the newer ones have a bit more headroom and are slightly cleaner when pushed hard. Like anything you have to be aware of the limitations.

The Yammies DBR's and DBX's are great speakers, I have some friends that do band and duo gigs with some DBR's and have done for nearly 2 years w' no issues at all. They use 12's and 10's. I rarely see anyone using a Bose rig, but in the right space they can be excellent. My comment on the DBR's being slightly 'delicate' is relative. They mark more easily and need a little more careful handling than the QSC's but only by degree. If you look after your gear either will work very well.

Kris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification