The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Fishman Aura DI - Preconfigured Tonedexter?

I was looking at the Fishman Aura DI and it looks like it offers the same functionality as a Tonedexter. According to Fishman they have a library of guitar configurations done the same as Tonedexter. Granted you'd have to own a supported guitar/pickup combination but no setup is required. Does anyone have any insight on the Aura DI?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM

I had the Aura Pro version built into a Gibson J-165 a couple years ago. With absolutely no work, it produced the clearest acoustic sound through a Fender Acoustosonic amp that I've ever heard. Obviously that guitar was imaged by Fishman and the image was built into the onboard Aura. I sold the Gibson for entirely unrelated reasons.
I have a Taylor 714 with the old Fishman prefix blend system installed. I bought an Aura Spectrum DI in the hopes of reproducing that same experience I got with the Gibson. It didn't have an image of my guitar and I must have tried at least 20 images that were "close" (ie Taylor 710 with same woods as mine, Taylor 814 with different wood combination, lots of "medium" size guitars from other vendors with the same wood (Cedar/Rosewood). I wasn't happy with the sound of any of them. I brought it back to the store I bought it from and asked them for help. They plugged my guitar into a Fishman Loudbox mini, fiddled a little with the EQ and I was happy enough to walk out with that instead for a little less than the cost of the Aura.
You can have Fishman image your guitar. It costs $200 plus shipping both ways (30 minutes outside Boston). My guess is, unless you find a direct match, that's what makes the difference and I didn't want go through the hassle.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:33 PM

The Aura, good as it is, simply is not in the same league with the Tonedexter. Not only does the Tonedexter make a wavemap individual to your specific guitar, but it will do the same with all your other guitars, each individually tailored to the sound and pickup of that individual guitar. And its a great preamp too. Anybody serious about amplifying the acoustic sound of their guitar owes it to themselves to seriously look into this device.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-28-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I was looking at the Fishman Aura DI and it looks like it offers the same functionality as a Tonedexter. According to Fishman they have a library of guitar configurations done the same as Tonedexter. Granted you'd have to own a supported guitar/pickup combination but no setup is required. Does anyone have any insight on the Aura DI?
I own the spectrum DI (no longer use it) and my bandmate owns and still uses one as well. I think it's still a very good option for people who primarily rely on the Matrix UST. It adds a nice mic-like tone with very minimal effort. If you can get a guitar with the aura images installed then it's possible to get exceptional tones live. However, that's the one downside for me. Finding images to match my Taylor was pointless as Fishman did not have enough to choose from.

My other criticism is that I still feel as though the imaging creates a thinner, more hi-fi tone that I could never dial out. I hear it when my buddy uses his Taylor/spectrum combo live. Still, with some tweaking and experimenting, you can get great plugged in tones.

I own and currently use the TD. For me, the major plus is that I can play with the mic placement to get an image I like more than what I was getting from the aura. The other day for example, I tried a new mic placement and was rewarded with a much warmer, rounder and pleasing tone than I had before. It also allows me to use a simple SBT pickup for example instead of relying on a UST. I do find the spectrum has a bit of a quieter signal but the TD is still very good.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 PM

I own a few Taylor's with the ES System. I understand that Tonedexter does not support that system, does the Aura DI?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I own a few Taylor's with the ES System. I understand that Tonedexter does not support that system, does the Aura DI?
ES1 or ES2? Tonedexter supports and works well with ES2, but not ES1.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM

I have both!

Aura and Tonedexter!

I have used the Aura systems of different types since they were first invented. If you have a standard build guitar like a D28 or a J45, Fishman Aura have plenty of sound images to match your guitar.

I have the Tonedexter because I have some unusual and custom guitars, and I am enjoying it.

But I think Tonedexter could be a bit hard for some that want the 'instant' Aura, a lot more fiddling around to get it right....

BluesKing777.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I have both!

Aura and Tonedexter!

I have used the Aura systems of different types since they were first invented. If you have a standard build guitar like a D28 or a J45, Fishman Aura have plenty of sound images to match your guitar.

I have the Tonedexter because I have some unusual and custom guitars, and I am enjoying it.

But I think Tonedexter could be a bit hard for some that want the 'instant' Aura, a lot more fiddling around to get it right....

BluesKing777.
I think Bluesking777 answers your question about functionality. The difference being the Aura has templates and with the tonetexter, you create your own template. (not sure if the science on how they do what they do is the same, and I would be curious to know)

So if you do have an unusual or custom made guitar it seems the Tonedextor would be the way to go

I peronaly am very happy with a K&K mini and mic set up and do not feel the need for further enhancements

However, I have a Rainsong with a UST. I do have an Aura that I use Composite guitar template for. It is an improvement.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
ES1 or ES2? Tonedexter supports and works well with ES2, but not ES1.
Quote:
I have both ES1 and ES2 guitars. I've read that Tonedexter does not support the ES1 version.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have both ES1 and ES2 guitars. I've read that Tonedexter does not support the ES1 version.
I'm not up on the difference between those two, so I'll come out of left field and ask if it would work with the Fishman Sonitone. I'm still a bit shaky on the differences between acoustic pickups. I love my guitar in which it's embedded but I've really come to despise the amped sound.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
There is a thread on ToneDexter where James May of Audio Sprockets details why the ES1 doesn't work, something having to do with a magnetic sensor in the neck that is combined with a saddle transducer.

I'm thinking the ES1 is incompatible with Aura as well, as they use similar technology.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification